Direct Primary Care

All - 

Is anyone working under this model at this point?  If so, I'd love to PM a bit back and forth. 

Here's my situation: currently in private practice, internal medicine.  Made $120k last year.  Love my job, love my patients.  

I have a physician friend and colleague who wants me to work in his DPC practice.  The only problem at present is that he doesn't know what PAs in DPC make, so the job offer is a little poor.  Can anyone point me in a direction for PA salaries/benefits in direct primary care?  

Thanks!

Edited by Acebecker

4 hours ago, BruceBanner said:

Do you mean DPC as in concierge primary care?

A lot of my current colleagues to refer to it as concierge primary care.  I actually am not certain if that is the accepted nomenclature or not. 

What this guy does is to offer a subscription to his clinic - a flat monthly fee.  For that fee, you get as many visits as needed and most procedures are included.  If there is something above what would be included, the costs are transmitted to the Pt without markup.  He does not accept insurances.  He also has been able to get medications at markedly reduced cost such that they are cheaper through him than through pharmacies and with insurance.

I would not be billing for my time and would not be on a production basis.  It would be a flat hourly rate. 

Ok that's concierge care or membership practice. MD VIP is a brand name.

Hard to advise you on that one---I worked for a membership doc a few years back but did not see his membership patients; just the general public. He did it to keep his practice afloat. 

I think at minimum you should make a lateral change--meaning same salary. The default for a physician no matter how good a friend will be to underpay you. Also if you havent already get allll the particulars about taking call, etc. My old boss took calls 24/7 from members. 

19 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

Great way to ruin a friendship. Left EM to help him open a FP clinic and what a shock, it wasn’t sustainable. Didn’t stay in touch and he later died. I had also done something similar prior to this event in a business setting and it also didn’t end well (spouse of former professor).

If this person is a friend, please listen to this advice.

It is not just a good way to ruin the relationship, it is almost a sure thing.  I refuse to ever go into business with a friend or family member.  My best friend who is a doc years ago offered me a job and it took everything I had to say no.  We are still best friends to this day, but had I of said yes, I don't think we would be.

Heavy advice to consider.  I appreciate it.  It's taking a lot for me to say no.  I like this model and how much this model can serve the underserved population in our area. 

Would it change any of your opinions if the offer was not a job but a partnership in the clinic?  That is on the table here. 

Andrew

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Acebecker said:

Heavy advice to consider.  I appreciate it.  It's taking a lot for me to say no.  I like this model and how much this model can serve the underserved population in our area. 

Would it change any of your opinions if the offer was not a job but a partnership in the clinic?  That is on the table here. 

Andrew

Yes, I would go from 99% no to 100% no.  As an employee there is a little daylight between you guys.  As a partner there is none.  Medical practices are so squirrly now-a-days that it is a virtual guarantee there will be hard times that will strain the relationship.  I would just say this.....is the job worth losing this person as a friend at best and at worst making an actual enemy?  If the answer is yes, the risk is worth it.  Then you have your answer.

Be aware.  

The doc rules the roost 100% no matter what the business is.  I just left a great job as the new medical director and I did not see eye to eye and admin supported him(brand new and practicing outside the accepted norms(read illegal) of medicine). 

Every reason son I should have stayed and he should have left but admin sided with the doc “cause they are the doc” 

you you can never have a fair partnership with a doc that could not melt down in seconds.    

Always have a back up doc in doc in the wings if you own your own practice so atleast you take away their leverage

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1