Do I need to share NPI number login info

I recently accepted a position with a hospital. As part of the credentialing process they are asking me to provide my NPI number as well as my user name and password. They want to use this information to update my profile with NPPES to reflect my affiliation with the hospital. I am curious if this is normal. I can understand providing the NPI number but providing my user name and password seems odd. It seems like they want to manage my profile because they are also saying that if I should choose to leave the organization they will provide me with user names and passwords maintained on my behalf. Should I be providing the user name and password?

2 hours ago, pastudentw said:

I'm going through the credentialing process now with a large academic center. They didn't ask for my username and password, rather they had me fill out a release form saying they can manage my profile and information on NPPES.  

Did you have to create a user name and password for them to manage your profile. It seems to me that they are trying to do the same thing but I just got concerned about giving that info out. This hospital is a teaching hospital that is affiliated with a local medical school.  Thanks for the feedback.

52 minutes ago, Callisto said:

Did you have to create a user name and password for them to manage your profile. It seems to me that they are trying to do the same thing but I just got concerned about giving that info out. This hospital is a teaching hospital that is affiliated with a local medical school.  Thanks for the feedback.

I am also going to be working for an academic hospital. They requested CMS proxy for the hospital to act on provider enrollment steps like EHR, NPPES maintenance and such. I didn't actually give anyone my username and password but I granted them CMS proxy by filling out a limited power of attorney which gave them the ability to act on my behalf for a lot of the credentialing paperwork which included medicaid and medicare enrollment. I hope this helps!