CT and Neurosurgical PA working conditions

Hello!

I'm set to start PA school this fall. I've been thinking a lot about the idea of specializing in a surgical field. Surgery has been something that has fascinated me ever since I shadowed a CT surgeon during my sophomore year of college and was able to observe an open heart surgery. My original intentions were to attend medical school and pursue the idea of becoming a surgeon, but I started a family my senior year of college. So, that delayed my entry into medical school and, eventually, became the deciding factor for me not to go to medical school to become an actual surgeon. I like the idea of still working in the medical field, being in the OR, but want to still have time for my family. I know that PA school is going to demand a lot from me, but it is a much easier sacrifice than the med-school/residency/fellowship option of an actual MD.

I was wondering what the working conditions were for surgical PAs, mainly CT and Neurosurgical PAs, as those are my main interests. Are the working hours just as demanding as the attending surgeon's (50-60+ hrs/week, on-call)? My main concern is my family and the time I will have for them- they are important to me. Becoming a PA is the right choice for me, but is it wise for me to specialize in a surgical setting?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

I interviewed for a neurosurg position - 6 docs and 5 PAs - trying to add 2 more. The PA's rounded in hospital every morning before clinic. Then they had their regular schedule of patients during the day and took call/consults from the ED at the specific hospital they were at that day. The PAs also had rotation call for one week each where they had to take call and run in to the hospital to take care of things that couldn't wait but needed but didn't need the surgeon and for emergency surgery that week as well. It seemed really cool and they said they were paid well. But if taken on hourly rate, their pay wasn't too great. It seemed like the job would be my life and I wasn't willing to do that.

My experience: I'm a CT resident PA and I'm working 60-80. The PAs hired right out of school are also working the same hours so it isn't just a 'restident' thing. As a new surgical PA you should just expect to be putting in those type of hours and any other scenario you encounter would be really lucky (or you could look at the lower hour requirement as lower learning opportunity).

I interviewed once with a neurosurg....he wanted me only for his office since he's was going to be in the OR all day. I was to do rounds at 3 different hospitals first, do the office, be on call for the ED and all for 55k...there were no bennies, he was private he couldn't afford any...but he had to be in the OR all day b/c his wife wanted to buy a 1mil dollar home.......next please..

I interviewed once with a neurosurg....he wanted me only for his office since he's was going to be in the OR all day. I was to do rounds at 3 different hospitals first, do the office, be on call for the ED and all for 55k...there were no bennies, he was private he couldn't afford any...but he had to be in the OR all day b/c his wife wanted to buy a 1mil dollar home.......next please..

Sheesh did he want you to pickup his kids from taekwondo and ballet too, I mean c'mon....

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

The more he operate the more the revenue generated = > $$ for his wife $1m home. You deals with all the post-op headache with nothing to show for it. No thanks!

My daughter has had 2 such positions since graduating almost 4 years ago. The first was lower paid to start ($70 thou) for a CT surgeon with some OR work but mostly office, rounds, call putting in many hours per week like the 60-80 above.

She now has a new job with a surgeon as his first assist (pay in the 90's). OR work only with one day of office hours per week getting out at 3pm. 4 day weekends every other week with on call the opposite weekend. 4 weeks vacation plus paid time off whenever the dr. takes a vacation...which is always week between christmas and new years plus other times. She has her 60-80 weeks for sure.....but it averages out to regular work time in the end. Working for the Dr. and not a hospital/group has it's pros/cons. I don't think he pays for any of her professional dues/cme/etc. She has her healthcare and 401K. She only heard of this opening word of mouth, wasn't even looking really. Went for interview and hired her in 10 minutes. She was lucky to hear of it!

• 7 months later...

I work with 6 MD's and 5 other PA's. We have 2 hospital/ OR days where we round those days and first assist in the OR. The remainder of the days we work in the office. Occasionally we have surgery center case before office. We all share call, usually one evening (after 5) a week, and one weekend every 5-6 weekends. The MD's take all ER call and consults, but we do the admissions and discharges. Our group typically likes having an extra float PA to fill in for when another PA is out, but we currently don't have that position filled.

So it probably varies per practice what the schedule is. In office we work from either 7 -5 or 8-5, depending if we have surgery center case. The OR days we work 6-5, and whoever is on call takes over at 5.

Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...
Hello!

I'm set to start PA school this fall. I've been thinking a lot about the idea of specializing in a surgical field. Surgery has been something that has fascinated me ever since I shadowed a CT surgeon during my sophomore year of college and was able to observe an open heart surgery. My original intentions were to attend medical school and pursue the idea of becoming a surgeon, but I started a family my senior year of college. So, that delayed my entry into medical school and, eventually, became the deciding factor for me not to go to medical school to become an actual surgeon. I like the idea of still working in the medical field, being in the OR, but want to still have time for my family. I know that PA school is going to demand a lot from me, but it is a much easier sacrifice than the med-school/residency/fellowship option of an actual MD.

I was wondering what the working conditions were for surgical PAs, mainly CT and Neurosurgical PAs, as those are my main interests. Are the working hours just as demanding as the attending surgeon's (50-60+ hrs/week, on-call)? My main concern is my family and the time I will have for them- they are important to me. Becoming a PA is the right choice for me, but is it wise for me to specialize in a surgical setting?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

Your work attitude and idea is very impressive.

As far as I know neurosurgery in Singapore is very rich, engaged in the category of the doctor in the treatment is very high. Come on! The elder brothers! To move forward in this field, in my work, and also don't ignore the family.

• 1 month later...

CT Surgery is a great field that needs smart and capable people. The hours and lifestyle are generally on the longer and more intense side of PA practice. However, it is also a satisfying specialty where you are valued. The Association of PAs in Cardiovascular Surgery accepts student memberships for free. Go to www.apacvs.org to learn more.

CT Surgery is a great field that needs smart and capable people. The hours and lifestyle are generally on the longer and more intense side of PA practice. However, it is also a satisfying specialty where you are valued. The Association of PAs in Cardiovascular Surgery accepts student memberships for free. Go to www.apacvs.org to learn more.

Archived