Sign in to follow this  

Personal Statement look over.

I  think I am at my final draft and would love for someone to review it/read it over. Have looked at is soo many times that its hard to see any mistakes or weak points at this time. Anyone willing to help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know and I will send it over.

Please and thank you!

I did enjoy reading it, and it very clearly answered why you would be an exceptional PA. The only suggestion I would give is to elaborate on why PA instead of medicine to remedy the PCP shortage at the VA. Although you said it was clear that your PA path was illuminated from this need, it did not read as clearly. Best of luck, I am sure you will do well this cycle!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By buenasumilhig
      Hello, I've been working on my personal statement but having trouble with the structure. So far I've written why I want to be PA but wondering how to add my experience as a scribe into it? I first worked as an ER scribe to get exposure to a doctor. I then switched to scribe for a doctor at family clinic where I met a physician assistant who inspired me to become a PA. Where should I write about how my experience as a scribe will make me a good PA?
      Here's what I have so far:
      “Go be a doctor” was a constant thing I heard growing up in a Filipino household. My immigrant parents had their heart set on a better life for their children in America. They had many dreams for the five of us. They wanted me to be a doctor and I wanted to make them proud. After graduating from university I decided to take a gap year to volunteer, work, and study for the MCAT. I also made the decision to move back in with my family. I thought everything would fall into place, but it was only the beginning of an uphill battle. I found that I was always sleeping, had a lack of motivation, cried nightly, and was always sad. No matter how hard I tried to study for the MCAT all I wanted to do was lay in bed and waste my day away. I didn’t realize until later, but I developed depression. Every day I cried to myself, “I don’t want to be a doctor, I don’t even know what I want to be”.
      To pull me out of bed, I applied for an ER medical scribe position at my local hospital. I told myself that if I wanted to be in healthcare I should immerse myself in the environment. I scribed for five ER physicians. On my first day at the ER, I met a physician assistant for the first time ever. I had no idea that they even existed! That was the extent of my intrigue and had tunnel vision for being a doctor. I left the ER and applied for another scribe position at a family clinic. I scribed for a doctor, but she worked alongside a physician assistant, Christie Heany, PA-C.
      They worked together 2-3 days out of the week side-by-side. It was the perfect setting to compare the work of a physician assistant to a doctor. She would consult with the doctor, but it was her own choice on how to treat and diagnose a patient. Christie mused about physician assistant school and the training she received. She changed my perception of medicine. I have been walking along this path my parents forged for me to become a doctor, but I got lost along the way. I began piecing together my own path. I wanted to be a physician assistant.
      Should I start writing about how my scribe experience will make me a good PA here?
    • By syd3333
      Just wanted some advice. Does anyone have insight to on how different types of PCE are classified? Is having 1000 hours of being a PT aide equal to 500 patient care technician? I guess there is no right and wrong answer, just wanted to see some opinions! Thanks guys!
    • By emrose4242
      Hi! I was recently accepted into a program that I didn't think I would be too fond of, but I ended up falling in love with the program! I am interviewing at my original top choice on the 13th, and I have been having a hard time deciding what school I would choose if I were to get in to this other program as well. I would love to hear what current students think. School A (the one I have already been accepted to) is a 1 hour commute, ( I can't afford to move or get an apartment, I am lucky enough to live with my boyfriend who pays the mortgage). This is the biggest downside to this school. I don't know how commuting an hour both ways, 5 days a week, will work with the course load. School B is a 30 minute commute. School A is also about $15,000 more expensive. The reason I justify price is that this program is 28 months, which is 4 months longer than school B (where I am interviewing on the 13th). I love that the clinical rotations are 5 weeks, instead of 4 at school B. There are also 2 elective clinical sites and school A, as opposed to only 1 at school B. They are both very new programs so they're pretty comparable when it comes to everything else that I've looked into!

So my questions are:
      1. If you have a long commute to your PA program, do you regret it/how do you like it?
      2. Will 1 additional week in each clinical site and 1 additional elective make a difference/ is it worth the $15,000 additional?
      3. Will I get to the 24 month point at school A and wish that I went to school B so that I could be finished already?
      Thank you so much for any input you all can provide!!
    • By PAssionate20
      Hello, 
      I'm looking for private tutoring for  PANCE to help me in certain areas. If anyone tutors please let me know.
      Thank you. 

• By TallPA
      Hello everyone,
      I have been playing professional baseball since 2014. Due to covid, there is a chance my career could be cut short due to contracts (long un-needed story). I was a student athlete in college until I was drafted after my junior year in 2014. There are definitely more difficult situations out there, but being a student athlete at my school meant I had 2-3 hours to study per day starting at 8-9pm and we lifted at 5am every day. Finishing my degree in minor league baseball was just as tough. 12 hour bus rides twice a week, hotels, 10 hour days at the field, and playing for 6 months with only 2 days off a month. Not trying to make excuses, it was just tough for me.
      I still need to take organic chemistry, but my cGPA is 3.3 and my sGPA is 3.2. I have not taken the GRE and I have about 80 documented hours of shadowing, with over 300 undocumented hours.

Until it is certain my career has ended, what can I do to stay fresh on all my sciences? Have I missed anything to apply for PA school? Do I have a chance of getting in to school? A friend of mine is a physician and said medical/PA schools love unique stories and backgrounds. Even with my story, I want everything else to show I have a passion for medicine and I’m willing to bust my butt in school when I can strictly focus on school.
      Thank y’all in advance for any honest feedback!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More