Additional revenue for PAs besides a second job

Like many of us with students loans I’ve done what I can to reduce spending and all the financial advice says the next step is to make more money. So I’m curious about side hustles for PAs besides just working another PA job. Are there things you can do from home? What kinds of things should I research?

Thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you have a good interest rate with the loans. I refinanced with Sofi and am really happy I did. My federal loans were at 8% interest now I’m at 4.5%. Also do not do income based repayment unless it’s the last option.

I have friends who sale cosmetics like Rodan and fields for extra cash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Hello and welcome to Wal-Mart"

oops I think they eliminated those positions for an extra $0.000000001 for each shareholder.....

Seriously though - teaching is good - find any type of health care program and apply (pay stinks)

precept a student (some programs pay)

rental income - have a few commercial units myself - it is not for the faint of heart (and no way would I ever again do residential - tried that ..... horrible as people are many times mean and take advantage of others.....) 

Friend has a construction company.....

Recently I have toyed with the idea of starting to do house calls.  All medical billing would go through my employer (they should be happy) BUT the $100 trip fee is mine to keep (never goes through the employer at all - ever) so I am happy 

• Upvote 2

There are few things that will make you more short-term money, which is what you need to pay off your loans, than simply working more hours as a PA.

There are other ventures which can be used to build wealth, but they often require time AND money to start and grow.  I have a real estate and agriculture business that I am growing to be my 3rd career/retirement.  While this has increased my total net worth, I have invested much more money into these than I have withdrawn.

I refinanced through Laurel Roads to 3.375% and there is an AAPA "bonus" interest decrease if you are a member.  This brought my interest rate down from an average 6.5%!

Also, totally up to anyone...but Laurel Road does have a referral bonus that gets split between the current borrower and new person.  PM me if you are thinking about refinancing through Laurel Road, or if you know someone else who already has refinanced through Laurel Road.

• Like 1

I encouraged my brother-in-law to join the Air Force as a pilot after his college graduation. He had already been a pilot of small aircraft. He made it through flying school and had a choice of what type of aircraft he would fly and for what division, SAC, MAC or TAC. I told him to choose MAC although it would not be as exciting as the other two. He put in thousands of hours, flew troops and supplies into the Mideast and even co-piloted Air Force 2. Upon leaving the military after seven short years be became a Delta co-pilot. After ten years in the right seat he moved to the left seat as a Delta Pilot and flew internationally.He made great money and had a great pension as a pilot and started buying real estate in Charleston, SC. After owning thirty houses that became huge rental properties and gentrifying Charleston neighborhoods he started a small firm. We were talking last night as he visited me for five days and plans on being one of those 2022 passengers on a flight to the moon or wherever. Yes, it will cost him a quarter of a million but investing in real estate easily made his dreams reality.d

• Upvote 1

I am hoping with all the changes that PAs are actually paid their worth. I’m seeing PA Job offers for $50-60 hour ? Some my best buds are ER docs I work with and making $225 hr plus rvu’s. Yet can’t pay a PA descent. It is sad. PAs have a solid education under the medical model, see patients.it should be $225 hr Er doc $150 hour Er PA. pay for the worth. Just throwing ballpark figures out. Their is RNs making $80 hour in places. My wife is a bsn Rn with 18 years experience just got $17,000 sign on bonus and $54 hour. Maybe OTP will change things and it will go the way it should. I saw an offer the other day for $40 hour. That’s just sad. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Lightspeed said:

It’s not been the nurses necessarily that have been driving down the numbers due to their naivety. We know how to squeeze a dime out of our employers when we can. As RNs we knew what shifts to work to pick up more cash, and how long to hold out for our desperate managers to start throwing incentives our way. As a rookie nurse, you wouldn’t see me show up for a shift without getting extra incentive beyond just time and a half. I would be expecting to get double time and a fat gift card to show up for a princess shift. I also distinctly remember a required class in both my BSN and a class in my NP degree that was about financial issues and nurses.... literally two classes that were just about the industry and financial well-being, which included negotiations. RNs aren’t EMTs or CNAs, or unemployed struggling PA students when they look for jobs. They can afford to wait before they pull the trigger. But there does seem to be a literal deluge of graduates every year that is bound to swamp the market. When more NPs are graduating than are physicians, like there is now, it’s bound to have a huge effect. 

Good points.  And it has....

I sit in the same boat as Lightspeed and Cideous on this issue. Nursing is savvy enough to spend time on having abstract classes where these issues are discussed and their culture is one of change. It's not just NPs but BSN's like my son, who know their value and will not settle for less. sure, there are those that work like animals and are abused by administration and physicians but today, with unions and education and an empowerment that only comes from self-woerth, they are changing and they are demanding more. And they are getting more. PAs need to stop looking and complaining and become action oriented. Wherever PAs are involved, in numbers, they need to both gather for discussions and go out on a limb and make the same educated demands of other professions. People allow themselves to be abused and settle for it , just ask unhappy married couples. We need an awakening as our talents and knowledge and our care of patients is generally excellent and our expectations should reflect these things.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...