I am exploring the possibility of going to the Texas border to render medical services to help with the immigration surge.   PLEASE do not give any political opinions.  I am interesting in rendering assistance to those in need of help period.  Thanks for any ideas.

• Like 2

OOPS!  I should have known that 33 years of family medicine and all aother requirements were met or exceeded except. I am no longer  NCCPA certified so it disqualifies me from any consideration even though not required  to practice in the state.   Maybe others will be able to find positions.  Loyal Source had several down by the border.  I will save the NCCPA thing for another time.

That was the first issue that came to my mind, Tom. I guess we pay the price to win the prize. Being retired, the only avenues for me to utilize my skills are in education, public speaking, workshops and medical writing. I l know it's hard for you to put down the stethescope but a tombstone that says you were a great PA is not equal to enjoying five-ten years of relaxing and enjoying the family.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone ever worked for loyal source doing this kind of work?  I would love to hear how it went and if they were decent to work for.

Thanks.

• Like 1

one of my former students worked for them. he said it was very fast paced, but challenging and interesting work. Lots of stealth infectious dz like TB, hepatitis, etc

They follow the fed requirement of nccpa and a state licence from any state. No DEA number required for these positions as you work under a generic federal DEA number. 

These positions are open all along the border. They pay $56.10/hour which is the same for most all fed PA contracts. You have the option to work more, anything over 40 hours the base rate is a bit lower as you don't get the wellness benefit but you do earn it at overtime rates. If I recall from my contract it is 51.xx plus a wellness benefit for the first 40 hours. Total $56.10. 1 year contract. 30 day exit clause. They can let you go at any time. If you don't give 30 days notice they can "fine" you $1k for the cost of credentialing and the background check. 

Federal background check. Fingerprinting. Drug screen. If you are not eligible for fed employment you can't take the gig. If you have concerning background criminal or bad conduct discharge from military you likely wouldn't be eligible. If you have state license stuff in your past you would still be eligible with an active licence and nccpa. 

10 days vacation, federal holidays, 401k but no match, malpractice is covered. No CME, no licensure reimbursement, no other real benefits. I think you also get 5 days sick time annual. 

For my contract I can make my own schedule from open shifts. Open shifts are enough I can do about whatever day/time I want. 11 different clinics where I am located with the closest about 4 miles from my house. I can work any clinic/shift that is open. Schedule is made 30 days out. W2 pay which means it isn't 1099 and the associated tax concerns. 

Paper documentation. No chronic management. No pain management. No controlled substances. Rarely see same patient twice. For the military providers - sick call with routine health screenings. If anything looks sick they get shipped out for care. No worries about coding as nothing is insurance. Spanish is nice but not required. 

For the work - I haven't quite started yet as I am still retiring from the military and you can't work this contract and be in an active pay status for another government org. I know a few people doing it and they seem to like it. Lots of ID. Lots of boo-boos and owies. All ages  The occasional zebra. 

I should be starting 1 December if anyone wants more info later this year. 

• Upvote 1

I work with this population, but once they get to the detention center.  We work for a contracted company to DHS called STG International.  We have facilities all over the US, Im just outside Phoenix. Our administration is by PHS officers and we follow their policy for Immigration Health Service Corps.   Ive been here 3 years and love my job.  We manage chronic and acute conditions.  Some of my patients are only there for a few weeks, and others for years (longest has been 7 years so far).  Pay is good for the area, and benefits are reasonable.   We currently have a PA position open at my facility (Eloy, Az) and many others around the states.  40 hours a week, salary (~135 +), no overtime- you leave at the end of your shift.  3 week vacation, 1 week sick leave, 1500 CME, 401 K with some  match.  Yes, as stated above, NCCPA certification is required.  

• Upvote 1

@CaliOne

Are you bilingual?  This sounds like an amazing position by my Spanish is poor at best.   I think with more exposure/immersion I could pick it back up but for now that's where I'm at. 

On 6/29/2019 at 8:45 PM, KpsPac said:

I thought in Texas, certification, or the “C”, was not required to practice. Is it the company itself? 

Texas requires certification on initial licensure, but not on renewal of licensure

10 hours ago, thatgirlonabike said:

@CaliOne

Are you bilingual?  This sounds like an amazing position by my Spanish is poor at best.   I think with more exposure/immersion I could pick it back up but for now that's where I'm at. 

@thatgirlonabike

No, I'm not bilingual. We have an interpretation services that works great and has so many languages.   Sure, Spanish helps, but its not the only language that is needed.  I have had a lot of patients that speak Haitian Creole, Russian, Portuguese, Mam and K'iche (very common Guatemalan dialects), Mandarin, Tamil, and so many others.  

You can message me for more information if you like.  Oh, our facility also qualified for NHSC loan repayment program which has been a great help for me.  

• Upvote 1