Hi everyone! If i can get some guidance from this post, it would help me a lot! I research online and watch you tubes videos of how people with low GPA can still get in. A lot of the videos are quick summary but not detail about what to do or where to start if your GPA is low. My overall is 3.04 . My science alone is 3.5. My associate degree (RRT) was 3.2. During my bachelor I did well with overall 3.7 GPA. I messed up in my younger years making mostly B's and keep an F instead of dropping the class because i was afraid dropping too much classes will not allow me back in school. Should I retake some of my Prerequisites like history, american government, etc. or should  i take more classes that is non-sciences and accepted by CASPA? Should I also take more sciences classes as well? i have 80 hrs of community services, HCE 2000hrs, PCE about 1000 hrs, and i have not taken my GRE yet. i am planning to soon.

• 1 month later...

Just to add a little. I struggled my first year of college but managed to finish with a 3.6 overall and my prerequisite for school was around a 3.7. I had a lot of community service hours as well as health care, patient care, and shadowing hours  I was waitlisted for two schools and accepted off one waitlist. It’s not impossible to overcome that initial slip up. Use your personal statement to show how you’ve grown. I was asked a lot on why I struggled early on and what I did to bounce back and if I believed I would have the same problem in PA school when interviewing. 

I am also a respiratory therapist all of my credits from RT school were nontransferable and my GPA was 3.98 . Last year I was outright turned away for not meeting the minimum GPA requirements just falling shy of the 3.2 threshold so I retook a genetics course I messed around in and changed a C to an A. I guess my point is that you must meet the minimum standards but from that point your experiences are infinitely more important. I think that the improvement in grades and your healthcare experience will help but you have to put in the work to meet the minimum requirements or they wont even look at the other aspects of your application.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@ApplicantNo19 : Thanks! I asked a PA to help me calculate my overall GPA and science GPA. It turns out several of my C's from associate degree RT is counted as science so it brought my GPA down to 3.2 for science. I am retaking any B's or C's like govt., History, ARTS, etc.. you mentioned medical ethics, can count towards science?..When the PA calculate for me, the medical ethics does not count as science.. So you don't think I need to seek another degree related to science to bring up my GPA or to stand out?
Thanks for the advance about the upper sciences and behavior science!! 

@rhall13 : thanks for that insight! I find it useful!!

@DomRRTtoPA: How come your RT credits was not transferable? Is that for all RT schools or just some? I took mine at HCC COLEMAN Community College.. I am a bit worried now..Should I also retake some of my B's for A's like ART, ENG., HIST., GOVT..,etc?

Should I seek for another degree in biology or other natural science degree?? 

With a bachelor degree in RT, what master science program can I get into? I'm worried it is a waste of time?

Thanks again everyone for your guidance! ❤️

Edited by anhthung25
other questions forgot to include

For RT I went to a technical school. It was accredited so that I could take my credentialing exam but the school did not have regional academic accreditation which is the gold standard for colleges and university. Where did you get your undergrad from?

As far as your GPA you will probably need to find a way to bring up your GPA to at least meet the minimum. Different schools calculate different GPA's differently. Indiana U for instance doesnt use all science courses, they calculate prerequisites minus med term. and psych. I would suggest you meet with a councilor from the school that you want to attend to develop a plan. Retaking gen ed courses that are C and below and turning them into A's will probably be your best course but most schools cap the number of courses you can retake for better grades.