Application Cycle 2019-2020

On 10/15/2019 at 3:54 PM, Delan123 said:

could someone explain the cadaver lab / anatomy aspect of the curriculum ? i noticed there was not much info on that on the website 

One of the students told us today that there is no cadaver lab.

They do modular teaching but didn't really go into detail on specifically how anatomy is taught.  One of the students told us that it's a lot of Powerpoint...

• 2 weeks later...

This is for people who are still interviewing. I'll be honest about Kettering, I had high expectations and was expecting to be blown away. Although the interview was still okay, I wanted to note a few things so others don't feel alone or worried. I had an interviewer who actually started texting for about 30 straight seconds in the middle of my important answer. Some people say that its a tactic to see how nervous you get but I personally thought it was very rude. Also, another interviewer was constantly giving follow up questions, making me leave the interview very unsteady and not confident at all. Finally, the interviews are only 10 minutes which to me is not enough time at all to have a person really get to know you. Needless to say, I still got an invitation but because of the un-easiness I felt, I declined. Final words- don't be too too worried if you leave upset because they didn't like you. You are worthy and try to be confident! Good luck yall.

9 minutes ago, Delan123 said:

This is for people who are still interviewing. I'll be honest about Kettering, I had high expectations and was expecting to be blown away. Although the interview was still okay, I wanted to note a few things so others don't feel alone or worried. I had an interviewer who actually started texting for about 30 straight seconds in the middle of my important answer. Some people say that its a tactic to see how nervous you get but I personally thought it was very rude. Also, another interviewer was constantly giving follow up questions, making me leave the interview very unsteady and not confident at all. Finally, the interviews are only 10 minutes which to me is not enough time at all to have a person really get to know you. Needless to say, I still got an invitation but because of the un-easiness I felt, I declined. Final words- don't be too too worried if you leave upset because they didn't like you. You are worthy and try to be confident! Good luck yall.

That's weird about the texting and I agree that would have been unsettling.  I don't like the idea of interviewers intentionally trying to put us in stressful situations to try to throw us off; to me, it's bad enough when I get an interviewer who sits in the room the whole time deadpan.  Personally I don't mind follow-up questions since it helps create a more natural dialogue to see how we really are.  

Here's my take on interviews, even blind ones: it's like dating.  On paper someone could look great--good GPA, good hours, etc., but every program has that "X" factor that they're looking for and you don't really know if someone has it until you sit down with them.  I remember when I got hired on to my current job, the manager asked me one question: why did I get into respiratory care?  She said resumes only show a glimpse of someone, interview questions can be polished and rehearsed, but if you really want to know someone, you need to see how they shake your hand, how they sit, how they are in a more natural setting.  I had a horrible interview at Charleston (WV) and got rejected.  I had a great interview at Mount St. Joseph and got rejected.  I had a decent interview at OU and got rejected.  None of these schools would identify anything really specific about me as to why they rejected me, they just did.  

Just like we're probably likely to behave different on interview day than we will in class, the admissions committee probably acts a little differently on interview day vs everyday in class. 

We the applicants should be assessing the programs just as much as they are assessing us.  I think Kettering has a proven track record, but at the end of the day if it's not the right fit for someone, they shouldn't go.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, abg15 said:

Has anyone else been waitlisted? At what point do I need to start preparing to reapply for next cycle if I don't hear back?

There are anecdotal stories of people being accepted the week or even the day before classes start.  If I were you I would start preparing everything for next cycle but you're safe to hold off submitting applications until Kettering starts (since it'll be right after when CASPA opens).