Religous Problem and PA School

Hello everybody,

Please try to understand and answer professionally. 

I am aspiring to become a AP after University. I am Jewish Orthodox and have one serious restriction in regards to PA/Med school. 

There is a subset of Jewish believers (the Cohen family, descendents of Aaron and of the priestly caste) which under Jewish law are strictly prohibited 

to come in contact with a dead body.  A Cohen can be a surgeon or any other doctor, as long as their training does not require practice on cadavers.

Once a doctor, a Cohen may come in contact with a dead body as long as he is there to save life. 

Does anyone know of any schools that offer 3D virtual anatomy in place of cadaver lab ? I am willing to move out of state(Fl) to fulfill my studies if need be.

Please, if you know of any schools, drop the name 🙂 Thanks so much

I'm also in Florida and a friend of mine finished at Nova Ft. Myers a few years back. He said that there was no cadaver lab while he was there so that may be another option for you. I don't know if they have one know though and I don't know what other schools are lacking cadaver labs, but that way be another way for you to finish a program with your religious obligations without a 3D anatomy lab. 

Edited by BlueWhale
typo

Are you able to look at a cadaver?

Honestly if you can get by, by just looking at the cadaver, which is how you are tested, then you will be okay.

During practicals you will have a pin on a muscle, nerve, or whatever and just be able to identify it and you're not allowed to touch. Also, the cadavers are dissected by the DO fellows in advance. Again, touching is optional and will not hinder your learning.

In the end, if you are allowed to look at a cadaver then you will be okay at Nova Fort Lauderdale. The rest of the Nova campuses use an electronic cadaver program. 

Edited by JD2012
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 11:45 AM, jgw97 said:

Radford Carilion in Roanoke, VA (formerly Jefferson College of Health Sciences) has a 3D table and gives the students the option to use it if they are uncomfortable with the cadavers.

I'm a current student here. We do have a 3D table, but I can't imagine you could get through our anatomy course by only using that. Dissection is a huge part of anatomy for us: we are in the cadaver lab 2 hours a week, every week, for the first 3 semesters. Also, in our program, PA students do ALL the cadaver dissecting. Every lab practical is conducted directly on the bodies too, so I don't know how that would be modified either.

Best of luck in finding a program that suits your needs! Looks like there are options out there, I just didn't want you to get misled. 

Butler University in Indianapolis, IN uses an anatomage table. I’m not a student there so I can’t say for certain, but I believe when I toured their program they said they only use that table and do not utilize a cadaver lab. 

https://www.butler.edu/college-pharmacy-health-sciences/technology-provides-unique-view-bshs-and-pa-students

Edited by MICSWILS

On 8/5/2019 at 12:46 PM, futurePA94 said:

I'm a current student here. We do have a 3D table, but I can't imagine you could get through our anatomy course by only using that. Dissection is a huge part of anatomy for us: we are in the cadaver lab 2 hours a week, every week, for the first 3 semesters. Also, in our program, PA students do ALL the cadaver dissecting. Every lab practical is conducted directly on the bodies too, so I don't know how that would be modified either.

Best of luck in finding a program that suits your needs! Looks like there are options out there, I just didn't want you to get misled. 

Thanks for the correction, after I interviewed there I was under the impression it was an option just not normally utilized.