The future of the PA profession?

Ironically, it wasn't until I was offered a seat in a PA program, that my eyes were opened to the politics of midlevels. Now two months out I am really questioning what will the field look like in the next 5-10 years. Perhaps everyone is waiting for the AAPA to do something, but since it is under the AMA there's not much to be done except trying to branch off which will take some time probably more then 5-10 years? 

What do you guys see as being the near future for the PA profession? Also, why would administration hire someone who needed to be cosigned over someone who doesn't?

I would think physicians would advocate PAs...but when i read over on the other forums, it seems the tend to bundle all midlevels together in the liabilities category. The other day the topic came up in conversation with the physician i work for, he mentioned the liability of signing for midlevels so i asked if it would be better to eliminate that factor all together with a different kind of arrangement, to which he replied it would be better to remove all the lawyers/administrators.

17 minutes ago, Ryanseacrest said:

Ironically, it wasn't until I was offered a seat in a PA program, that my eyes were opened to the politics of midlevels. Now two months out I am really questioning what will the field look like in the next 5-10 years. Perhaps everyone is waiting for the AAPA to do something, but since it is under the AMA there's not much to be done except trying to branch off which will take some time probably more then 5-10 years? 

What do you guys see as being the near future for the PA profession? Also, why would administration hire someone who needed to be cosigned over someone who doesn't?

I would think physicians would advocate PAs...but when i read over on the other forums, it seems the tend to bundle all midlevels together in the liabilities category. The other day the topic came up in conversation with the physician i work for, he mentioned the liability of signing for midlevels so i asked if it would be better to eliminate that factor all together with a different kind of arrangement, to which he replied it would be better to remove all the lawyers/administrators.

Agree with the above. We aren't midlevels. Also note the AAPA is not under the AMA. It is a independent advocacy organization. So good news! What you thought would take 5-10 years is a non-issue.

At this moment, things are looking good for the PA profession. ND passed OTP and cosignature has been eliminated in many states even before the push for OTP. Things are looking great. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

3 hours ago, wdtpac said:

You can start your advocacy for the profession by stop referring to us as midlevels....

Thanks for your input.

3 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Agree with the above. We aren't midlevels. Also note the AAPA is not under the AMA. It is a independent advocacy organization. So good news! What you thought would take 5-10 years is a non-issue.

At this moment, things are looking good for the PA profession. ND passed OTP and cosignature has been eliminated in many states even before the push for OTP. Things are looking great. 

That is good news, so right now there are no healthcare regulation bodies that the AAPA is under besides general state and federal legislature? Does the AMA and BON just carry more weight with legislation changes? That is great OTP has passed, I thought I read somewhere that the AMA opposed it and it got shut down.

Are there any consolidated websites or resources  where I can educate myself on the matter?

Edited by Ryanseacrest

Ummm.....the future of PA's is very debatable.  We will know a lot more in the next 5 years, I can tell you that.  Why?  Because in 5 years most states will have passed close to or full NP autonomy.  What we do as the PA profession in that time will determine the future of us all. Once they (np's) get autonomy, the fat lady will start warming up to sing....

• Upvote 1

Guest HanSolo

I think the future is bright. The market for PAs in this region of the country (New England) is strong. Some major hospital networks seem to prefer NPs while others seem to prefer PAs. I've haven't noticed much of a "turf war" out here. There is generally mutual respect.  

“The market for PAs in this region of the country (New England) is strong. Some major hospital networks seem to prefer NPs while others seem to prefer PAs.“

I can certainly second that  I’m seeing more and more that places that have traditionally have been NP territory switching over to PAs

Edited by VeryOldPA

6 hours ago, Ryanseacrest said:

Thanks for your input.

That is good news, so right now there are no healthcare regulation bodies that the AAPA is under besides general state and federal legislature? Does the AMA and BON just carry more weight with legislation changes? That is great OTP has passed, I thought I read somewhere that the AMA opposed it and it got shut down.

Are there any consolidated websites or resources  where I can educate myself on the matter?

You seem to be confusing regulatory bodies with advocacy groups. AAPA, AMA, ANA are advocacy groups. They have no legislative power other than to lobby legislators. PA  boards, BOM, and BON are regulatory boards at the state level. They cannot completely and unilaterally set rules, for example law may say that PAs do not require cosignature, and BOM cannot overrule that. In some states the PA board is under BOM and do set requirements within the law. Some states have independent PA boards and set their own licensing and other rules. Private entities, like hospitals can set more stringent rules, but cannot be more relaxed than state law. This is why change can be slow because it has to be changed at each state and then individual hospital policies have to be changed to catch up. I don’t know where there is a single educational reference for all this. Just have to do research.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, wdtpac said:

You can start your advocacy for the profession by stop referring to us as midlevels...

Why?  One of the seminal articles on PAs said we were "More than a nurse, but not a doctor"....like midway between....like a "midlevel".

6 hours ago, Cideous said:

We will know a lot more in the next 5 years, I can tell you that.  Why?

Because then we will have access to the retrospectoscope.  

6 hours ago, Cideous said:

the fat lady will start warming up to sing...

Please report to Human Resources on Monday Morning for sensitivity training.

4 hours ago, VeryOldPA said:

It is never going to happen.

Never say never, and never never say always. 
Study the recent fall of a global superpower for good examples of this.

I strongly agree with Lt O Neal as this represents the relationship between the PA profession and just a advocacy group. I would suggest in a kind way that your focus be directed to who we are, what we have done and where we are going. The strides of tis profession have become long, because of the dedication of its many leaders and its many clinicians. We did not start this profession because of finances or security but rather because we had served in the similar capacity and desired to continue this role because the people of our country need more health care providers who could treat its population and particularly the poor and those in remote area. Some held to that philosophy and others branched out starting specialties, such as the one I spent most of my career on, surgery. If you want to focus on the profession and have the proper motivation for becoming one of us think on this quote."If you practice an art, be proud of it and make it proud of you....It may break your heart, but it will fill your heart, before it breaks it---it will make you a person in your own right."Maxwell Anderson (1888-1959) Dramatist