Nrm1010

Patient Care Hours Question

Hi everyone!

This is my first post in this forum. So glad I found it! Anyways, I am currently applying to PA programs, and I have a question regarding my patient care experience. I work as a medical technician at a nursing home. Up until this point, I have about 800 hours. However, some of the schools I am applying to require 1000+ hours. I will easily get these hours done by the end of the summer. Should I put my "end date" on the CASPA as (ex) August 31st, 2019? That way, I can approximate the amount of hours I work a week to put myself over 1000 (and so the schools won't immediately throw out my application)!

I have a 4.0 major GPA (Biology) and 3.96 overall GPA, 50+ hours shadowing a PA, 100+ volunteer hours, and scored above the 60th percentile on all sections of my GRE. Do you think this bare minimum of hours will hurt my chances into getting into PA programs? Right now, I am planning on applying to DeSales, Arcadia, Chatham, and Yale (as well as a few others).

Thanks!

You will have to look up what each school will allow for hours. All of the ones I applied to will not allow a projection of hours, just what I had at the time of submission. CASPA may have rules on this also, I don’t remember specifically. That being said, I know of a few people who did not meet programs requirements, but were admitted anyways.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By agwebster
      On the licenses and certifications section, CASPA acts for the issuing organization. I am not sure what would be the issuing organization for my CNA certification - would it be the school I attended for my certification or my state's department of health professions which lists online my license number...?
    • By Contigo75
      Hi all,
      So here is the scenario. There are 2 CC's by me that are offering Organic Chemistry 1 this fall. I am registered at CC#1 but may want to take it at CC#2 based on the professor who teaches. 
      My question is: do I enter this into CASPA before verification? 
      Example: If I enter it in CASPA it locks it and shows that I am set to take Orgo at CC#1, but what if I change right before the semester and take it at CC#2? 
      Should I just leave it off and submit it as an update after my caspa is verified. I don't want to run into issues if I end up not taking it at that institution. 
    • By solomojo
      Is it better to use either a CV/Resume or is either fine? Does anyone have any information on what a good CV would look like? 
    • By emt12
      Looking for advice/opinions from people with more knowledge and experience with CASPA. I took the GRE 5/25/19, 2 out of 3 recommendation letters are in. Basically, everything on CASPA is ready except GRE and the 1 letter. Do I go ahead and submit CASPA before I send them my GRE scores? Or wait until after? 
    • By aking129
      I am feeling unsure as to whether or not I will get into PA school. I have a bachelor's degree in Public Health Science. My cumulative gpa is a 3.92 and my science gpa is a 3.8 with 61 science course credits. I have 1,000 hours of patient contact currently from working as a physical therapy aide during undergrad. I am taking a gap year and working 36 hours per week as a medical assistant and also taking weekend shifts as a physical therapy aid to reach approximately 3,000 hours when I apply next year. I also have about 200 hours of other related experience through working as a medical receptionist and volunteering and have 100 hours from shadowing. I have about 500 hours of volunteer experience from a service trip for income equity, a social justice student group, volunteering with a group that works to fix low-income health disparities, an LGBTQ+ community health clinic, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, and the philanthropy committee for my sorority. I am doing research with a nearby medical school and will have about 300 hours of research experience at the time I apply (this is a volunteer position). I was a teaching assistant for anatomy and physiology II for two years. I served as the president of a student organization and the vice president of the same organization, a program lead for a social justice organization, and I was the chair of philanthropy for my sorority. Other extracurricular involvements included Students Engaged in Public Health,  Sigma Kappa Sorority, Maryland Public Interest Research Group, Maryland Leadership Education and Development, and Ballet Company M. I am mostly concerned that I have not taken enough science credits and do not have enough patient contact. Are there other things I should work on to strengthen my profile? Should I take more science classes? Should I consider a master's in a science field? I studied public health because I am truly passionate about approaching patient care from this perspective and want to work in health administration health policy in addition to patient care, and I plan to explain this in my personal statement.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More