Western 2019-2020 Application Cycle

29 minutes ago, ChristineAndersonPrePA said:

I am an alternate too! Not ideal but still very happy. Does anyone know how many alternates there are? Or what exactly it means that they are "not ranked"? 

I think "not ranked" means they are supposed to consider each of the wait list candidates equally instead of going down a list. Also got put on the alternate list. Here's to hoping we can still get accepted!

1 hour ago, ChristineAndersonPrePA said:

I am an alternate too! Not ideal but still very happy. Does anyone know how many alternates there are? Or what exactly it means that they are "not ranked"? 

I’m pretty confused on how it works too but my understanding of it, based on what Michael said during the presentation at the interview is basically that alternates are “paired” with an accepted student based on similar stats. And when an accepted student declines, they offer their “partner” on the alternate list their seat. And I’m assuming there’s 98 alternates, basically the same number of seats in the class

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, bflorece said:

I’m pretty confused on how it works too but my understanding of it, based on what Michael said during the presentation at the interview is basically that alternates are “paired” with an accepted student based on similar stats. And when an accepted student declines, they offer their “partner” on the alternate list their seat. And I’m assuming there’s 98 alternates, basically the same number of seats in the class

Hmm, that’s very interesting! I was told during my interview day that once a few accepted students decline their offer, the admission committee meets up and chooses students from the waitlist pile to offer them acceptance into the program. The students in the waitlist group aren’t ranked because each time a couple spots open up, the admission committee reviews all the waitlist students and their stats again to see who they should offer a spot to. I could be completely wrong though! I’m just sharing what I was told lol. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kknn17 said:

Hmm, that’s very interesting! I was told during my interview day that once a few accepted students decline their offer, the admission committee meets up and chooses students from the waitlist pile to offer them acceptance into the program. The students in the waitlist group aren’t ranked because each time a couple spots open up, the admission committee reviews all the waitlist students and their stats again to see who they should offer a spot to. I could be completely wrong though! I’m just sharing what I was told lol. 

I hope that’s how it works because I like that a lot better than the other method lol. Seems way more flexible than what they told my group. 

Hello, 

My name is Betty and I am a first year at Western. First off, congrats to those who have been accepted to the class of 2022! & to those that were waitlisted - don't lose hope! & to those who didn't get acceptances - don't lose your passion and drive! 

We have set up a facebook page for those accepted and if you would like to get added please send and a picture of your acceptance letter and a photo ID to:

betty.olazabal.pas@gmail.com

Add me on fb: Betty Olazabal (makes it easier to add you to the page) 

Also if your FB name is not the same as that on your ID, say that in the email as well. 

Thank you, and congrats! you did it! 

Edited by BOla102
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, bflorece said:

that sounds ridiculous honestly...No one said that at my interview... so are you sure of this? He actually said this? That mean my acceptance off the alternate list solely depends upon 1 individual out of 98 withdrawing/declining?

I got my acceptance letter yesterday! Yay! I am so excited!

I have a question though, does anyone know about the Summer Preparedness and Readiness Course (SPARC)? Is it required for incoming PA students? Just wondering because I live across the country and need to know when to prepare to come unless they offer that online.

Thanks in advance!

39 minutes ago, Hamxo97 said:

I got my acceptance letter yesterday! Yay! I am so excited!

I have a question though, does anyone know about the Summer Preparedness and Readiness Course (SPARC)? Is it required for incoming PA students? Just wondering because I live across the country and need to know when to prepare to come unless they offer that online.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, 

It is not required. It is optional. If you add the FB page and would like to ask a question regarding how that works, I know there were a couple of our classmates that did do this program. 

- Betty 

13 hours ago, BOla102 said:

Hello, 

My name is Betty and I am a first year at Western. First off, congrats to those who have been accepted to the class of 2022! & to those that were waitlisted - don't lose hope! & to those who didn't get acceptances - don't lose your passion and drive! 

We have set up a facebook page for those accepted and if you would like to get added please send and a picture of your acceptance letter and a photo ID to:

betty.olazabal.pas@gmail.com

Add me on fb: Betty Olazabal and Jocelyn Le (makes it easier to add you to the page) 

Also if your FB name is not the same as that on your ID, say that in the email as well. 

Thank you, and congrats! you did it! 

Please remember to Email & Add me on FB. 🙂

10 hours ago, ChristineAndersonPrePA said:

that sounds ridiculous honestly...No one said that at my interview... so are you sure of this? He actually said this? That mean my acceptance off the alternate list solely depends upon 1 individual out of 98 withdrawing/declining?

Again, I’m confused by it too and totally agree. That’s why I’m hoping it’s what kknn17 said. But yeah that’s what I understood from it. He mentioned it during the 15 minute presentation after my group’s interview when he was talking about the waitlist and ways to be productive during the waiting period. You can always call and ask to be sure! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pa98173jd said:

That is how alternative lists work. You are an alternative lol. I can second that I heard the same during the presentation. 

Doesn’t that just seem like a lot of work to do? Find 98 people they want in a class... then find 98 more that each pair with one of the original list based on similar stats?! Like woah. I emailed someone there to ask details so maybe they’ll shed more light on it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChristineAndersonPrePA said:

Doesn’t that just seem like a lot of work to do? Find 98 people they want in a class... then find 98 more that each pair with one of the original list based on similar stats?! Like woah. I emailed someone there to ask details so maybe they’ll shed more light on it. 

No they have already accepted many of the upcoming class. There might be 20+ alternatives but not 98

23 hours ago, Pa98173jd said:

No they have already accepted many of the upcoming class. There might be 20+ alternatives but not 98

OK then you aren't saying what I thought you were saying. Someone above said that there were 98 alternatives that are partnered up with an accepted student based off similar stats, and you'd only get off the alt. list if that one person dropped their seat. Did you hear we were matched with accepted students based on similar stats though? Or what did you hear?

1 hour ago, ChristineAndersonPrePA said:

OK then you aren't saying what I thought you were saying. Someone above said that there were 98 alternatives that are partnered up with an accepted student based off similar stats, and you'd only get off the alt. list if that one person dropped their seat. Did you hear we were matched with accepted students based on similar stats though? Or what did you hear?

Yup they shared that alts are paired with accepted students with similar stats. They didnt share how many alts there would be but it is obviously not 98 as there were people who received acceptances far earlier than the masses with no one placed on alternative list at that time. 

heyyo first year student here,

congratulations to those that have been accepted!!  its exciting and nerve wracking and all of the above.

I can shed some light on some of the things that I have read here so far and see if that helps. For western, I was waitlisted one year and accepted early the next, so I am happy to expand on my experiences because they were very different between the CASPA application and interview. 

1. The SPARC program is a 5 week course prior to the start of the semester that is held on campus. This course is there to expose (refresh) students to anatomy/ physiology, some pharmacology, the basics. NOTE: this SPARC program is not specific to the PA program there are other students from other programs that will be in it too and they go over generic information. So reality is, can it hurt to refresh your knowledge and get some re exposure to information that will only help you in the future during the year? NO. HOWEVER, I can absolutely guarantee you one thing, this program gives you everything you need during the academic year to succeed. The 5 week course (in my opinion) will not make or break your ability to continue throughout the academic year. Moreover, the burnout is REAL. There is ALOT of learning to do throughout the year and to start 5 weeks before you have to(with homework, testing, assignments) is taxing. I say this because I was initially going to do the SPARC program and pulled out of it last minute and went to Jamaica. BEST DECISION EVER. I am by no means a straight A student, but I think taking the time before school to enjoy and relax was more beneficial than to do SPARC. Needless to say,  ive spoken to some that did it and felt it was good for them, so everyone is different. Do some soul searching and see what works best for you 🙂 

In the meantime, we are in a very odd weird place given COVID-19. So, things like the SPARC may or may not even be happening, who knows. definitely contact the university to see before signing up and paying 900 dollars for it.

2. THE WAITLIST. Its a daunting list because its in the middle between and yes and a no. I know the feeling all too well because I was waitlisted the first time I applied, then rejected. I can tell ya what though, in my honest opinion, trying to figure out the algorithm of how they accept students off the waitlist is just going to add anxiety and stress on your plate. They are not going to say much more than just keep an eye out in your email and portal for an acceptance or around the beginning of August for a rejection. Trust me, I did it all too often a couple years ago when I was put on that list. I can tell you it is not a ranked waitlist, and when I applied and got waitlisted they told us there were approximately 40 people on the waitlist and that was it lol. So, if you are anticipating them to relay to you exactly where you stand on the probability of getting in off that list, they wont. Ya just gotta wait. There was a girl in our class that got accepted off the waitlist when we were well into our orientation in August so you literally never know. HANG TIGHT!

That being said, this first year is a whole freaken lot. But its what we signed up for. 

I really wanted to pop on here to be able to shed some light on those thing but more so, if anyone has any other questions about Western, application process, interviewing stuff I want to know you are more than welcome to reach out. I try to give honest and real answers to be able to best assist anyone. I had some great resources (prior students and PA) to help me along the process, so I want to be able to pay it forward and help other out!

Feel free to message me !

• Like 4

Hello everyone! Was anyone a reapplicant (interviewed prior to this cycle) and was accepted this time around? Any tips/advice on changes you made to get accepted? I interviewed this cycle but did not get accepted 🙁 Western was my top choice, so I was very grateful to receive an invite this cycle. The new cycle is right around the corner, and I hope to get another chance. 

• Like 1