Western 2019-2020 Application Cycle

54 minutes ago, idkidkidk said:

I know that you have to either accept or decline within two weeks of offer. But is it not possible to rescind an acceptance (later than the 15 days) before tuition is due?

As part of accepting your offer, you also have to pay a non-refundable $1000 deposit (separated into two $500 payments).  You can always rescind your acceptance of the offer afterwards at any time (in the event you change your mind about entering into this specific program or PA school altogether), but you’ll lose the deposit.

Edited by dukkulisur

Im not sure if anyone is feeling a little hesitant but I'm not sure going to a class size like Western would be a good idea during this outbreak. Also, with having all the pre health professionals in a single strip of land doesnt sound like a good idea atm. If it was any other virus, bacteria, or parasite, I wouldn't care but coronaviruses are a whole new level of wicked. Sorry for the negativity but I'm curious to see if anyone else is feeling this way.  

4 hours ago, Pa98173jd said:

Im not sure if anyone is feeling a little hesitant but I'm not sure going to a class size like Western would be a good idea during this outbreak. Also, with having all the pre health professionals in a single strip of land doesnt sound like a good idea atm. If it was any other virus, bacteria, or parasite, I wouldn't care but coronaviruses are a whole new level of wicked. Sorry for the negativity but I'm curious to see if anyone else is feeling this way.  

@Pa98173jd I think I understand your worries. You are saying the more people in a classroom, the more chances of contracting COVID-19 which I think is a valid thought. However, I think there are some other points you should consider. 

Though a majority of the students are studying to become medical professionals and may have direct contact with patients who are positive with COVID-19, I think because they are medically educated about the virus, they would know to self-quarantine if they developed symptoms, or at least more so than your typical college student at any other campus. Also, I think most if not all of the people who will get into the this program will be <40 years old and if they ever do catch it, they will likely just develop mild symptoms. I also think that a good number of the students will be living with people their age or alone, not with people who are more susceptible to the disease (immunocompromised or older people), so spread beyond the classroom would not be too much of a concern. Lastly, hopefully by August (~5 months from now) when school starts, the situation will be better. 

I really don't think COVID-19 should be a reason for not attending this program, but I can see how the media and worries from loved ones could push someone to reconsider their choice. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sleepingsloth said:

@Pa98173jd I think I understand your worries. You are saying the more people in a classroom, the more chances of contracting COVID-19 which I think is a valid thought. However, I think there are some other points you should consider. 

Though a majority of the students are studying to become medical professionals and may have direct contact with patients who are positive with COVID-19, I think because they are medically educated about the virus, they would know to self-quarantine if they developed symptoms, or at least more so than your typical college student at any other campus. Also, I think most if not all of the people who will get into the this program will be <40 years old and if they ever do catch it, they will likely just develop mild symptoms. I also think that a good number of the students will be living with people their age or alone, not with people who are more susceptible to the disease (immunocompromised or older people), so spread beyond the classroom would not be too much of a concern. Lastly, hopefully by August (~5 months from now) when school starts, the situation will be better. 

I really don't think COVID-19 should be a reason for not attending this program, but I can see how the media and worries from loved ones could push someone to reconsider their choice. 

Thanks for sharing your perspective! 

I'm a first year PA student at WesternU. I thought I would update you guys about this and calm most of you down. First off, we just went online this past Thursday. The faculty are working diligently to make sure that the first and second year students are well accounted for. They are trying as hard as they can to manage everything with this craziness. Most of us have NO idea when we are going to return. We are purely online now for the time being. Also, this week is spring break for the program so I am not sure if they are going to get back to you guys this week, but multiple people that have interviewed have told me that they should get back to you before the end of March so praying for you guys! As for the risk of a large class, hopefully the situation does die down before the new cohort begins in August. Even so, there are more than enough seats in the classroom to avoid close contact with each other. It isn't just WesternU that is at risk...as long as you sit close to anybody in a classroom, you are at fair risk. Wish you guys well and be safe! Good luck! 🙂

• Like 10
  • Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, mlprepa said:

Has anyone checked their portal recently? I just checked mine today after a few weeks of not logging on, and it didn’t have the checklist (listing letter of recommendations, prerequisite/grade change worksheets, etc) on there anymore.

Same here. Let's hope that means they are releasing decisions 

Edited by Pa98173jd

12 minutes ago, mlprepa said:

Has anyone checked their portal recently? I just checked mine today after a few weeks of not logging on, and it didn’t have the checklist (listing letter of recommendations, prerequisite/grade change worksheets, etc) on there anymore.

I just checked and mine still shows the checklist.