Western 2019-2020 Application Cycle

10 hours ago, LorielD said:

Did you ever receive an email? I got accepted as well and paid for the deposit but I didn't get an email or the packet in the mail.

I got accepted as well. I only received an email that said “Application Status Update.” My acceptance letter was on the application portal. I didn’t get a packet in the mail yet. 

Edited by msfuturepa

On 4/4/2020 at 4:23 PM, hopefullypa001 said:

Congrats for those who got accepted! Did anyone get accepted from the alternate list yet? 

I got offered acceptance yesterday 04/06 after being on the alternate list for approximately 2 weeks. Good luck to everyone and don't lose hope!

• Like 2

On 4/2/2020 at 10:07 AM, LorielD said:

Did you ever receive an email? I got accepted as well and paid for the deposit but I didn't get an email or the packet in the mail.

Same! I did not get an email, and still haven't gotten the packet in the mail. Was able to get access to the "next steps" (email, health clearance, background check) after paying deposit.

1 hour ago, CMO26 said:

Same! I did not get an email, and still haven't gotten the packet in the mail. Was able to get access to the "next steps" (email, health clearance, background check) after paying deposit.

I got accepted back on the 19th and payed my deposit. I waited about a week and a half and emailed my advisor cause I hadn't received the packet in the mail and he said that since they were all working remotely from home due to COVID-19, they were not able to mail out packages. So I don't think we will be getting it at all but the paperwork they would have sent us should be available online! Congrats fellow classmate!!😄 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 11:50 PM, thehopefulprepa said:

Congrats! What time and day did you receive the acceptance? Just wondering when I should check my email so I don't religiously refresh every minute. haha

It was 4/06 like the rest of the alternate list. My friend who is in the program has told me that people have been accepted even 1-2 weeks into the program. Just be ready, but also. Start preparing yourself to apply for another cycle. I was already putting my ducks in a row to prepare for another try. Yes, don't lose hope, but be practical about things.

28 minutes ago, Shorty90604 said:

An applicant mentioned to me they confirmed acceptance, placed 50% deposit, then Western just told him offer was rescinded before made remaining 50% deposit by the 4/17 stated deadline. Anyone have any insight on this?

Hmm that's interesting. They told us they only do that if you don't pay by the deadline.

16 hours ago, Shorty90604 said:

An applicant mentioned to me they confirmed acceptance, placed 50% deposit, then Western just told him offer was rescinded before made remaining 50% deposit by the 4/17 stated deadline and gave his seat away. Anyone have any insight on this?

Update - Western has graciously corrected the error. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I just wanted to post on here again in case my initial post got backed up. 

My name is Betty and I am a current PA student at westernU. Congrats to all those that have been accepted! to those still waiting do not lose hope - you might be that one who gets called the Friday before classes start. & to those that didn't get accepted - keep pushing through, keep working hard, you will get there! 

if you have been accepted and would like to get added to the Class of 2022 FB page, please send me verification of your acceptance (letter) & picture ID with your name on it - email: betty.olazabal.pas@gmail.com . Then go ahead and visit the FB page and request to get added. 

Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MSPA2022/

Thank you, and I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe. Best wishes. 

Edited by BOla102

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 12:17 PM, BOla102 said:

Hello, I just wanted to post on here again in case my initial post got backed up. 

My name is Betty and I am a current PA student at westernU. Congrats to all those that have been accepted! to those still waiting do not lose hope - you might be that one who gets called the Friday before classes start. & to those that didn't get accepted - keep pushing through, keep working hard, you will get there! 

if you have been accepted and would like to get added to the Class of 2022 FB page, please send me verification of your acceptance (letter) & picture ID with your name on it - email: betty.olazabal.pas@gmail.com . Then go ahead and visit the FB page and request to get added. 

Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MSPA2022/

Thank you, and I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe. Best wishes. 

I took note that you mentioned you're a "current" PA student at Western. Quick question: I'm aware that lectures are being conducted remotely, but how on planet Earth are labs being performed via Zoom? I'm concerned that the quality of learning will be sapped if students are deprived of the "hands-on-learning aspect" of PA school, such as learning how to suture!! 

Any response is deeply obliged 🙂

Congrats on the acceptance! I found this on the their website: 

"Question 5: Can I defer to the next entering class if I am unable to matriculate as originally planned?
No, the program does not allow candidates to defer. If you are unable to matriculate in the fall as originally planned you must withdraw and re-apply for the next entering class. Due to COVID-19, deferments will be considered on a case-by-case basis only after the candidate has accepted the offer of acceptance and paid the full $1,000 tuition deposit. An additional deposit of $500 will be required in the Spring to confirm intent prior to the Fall term in which matriculation will occur." https://prospective.westernu.edu/health-sciences/mspa/faqs/

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 11:51 PM, idkidkidk said:

Hi! I was accepted for this cycle but I am wondering if Western ever allows their students to defer? With COVID-19 happening, the thought of a whole 1 semester being online while only having 1 didactic year seems really unsettling. What about clinical skills? Or labs? The fact that we only have one year to learn in a classroom... and almost half of it is already spent online.... seems unfair for us to pay the same amount of tuition. 

I agree but my concern is a bit greater. My cousin is in PA school in Miami, FL and supposed to graduate this summer of 2020. However, due to COVID-19 her class had to postpone classes and clinicals and we’re doing everything online. They are now being told that they cannot graduate because they have not met certain criterias. This pandemic is nobody’s fault!!! They should have come up with a plan for this situation 😞 I get scared something like this will happen!

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2020 at 9:31 PM, starfall27 said:

I agree but my concern is a bit greater. My cousin is in PA school in Miami, FL and supposed to graduate this summer of 2020. However, due to COVID-19 her class had to postpone classes and clinicals and we’re doing everything online. They are now being told that they cannot graduate because they have not met certain criterias. This pandemic is nobody’s fault!!! They should have come up with a plan for this situation 😞 I get scared something like this will happen!

😮

On 5/14/2020 at 12:03 PM, MotivatedPA said:

I took note that you mentioned you're a "current" PA student at Western. Quick question: I'm aware that lectures are being conducted remotely, but how on planet Earth are labs being performed via Zoom? I'm concerned that the quality of learning will be sapped if students are deprived of the "hands-on-learning aspect" of PA school, such as learning how to suture!! 

Any response is deeply obliged 🙂

Hello, sorry about such a late response. When talking about our class we only missed a few skills that will be made up. We are expected to make these in person skills labs with full days on campus (once it is allowed) but most likely a small number of us at a time. 

For the new class - they are starting courses via zoom but will be attending skills labs 1-2 times a month (also probably with a small number at a time). western is taking CDC guidelines and recommendations of opening and are doing this by phases. As time goes by, until campus is fully back on campus. Hope that helps. 

Zoom classes are different, for some its tougher for others they dont mind the online curriculum. BUT we are all future PAs so flexibility and adaptability are characteristics we all hold. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...