PA school locations

Hey guys, I am currently in the process of researching PA programs to apply to. I come from a northeastern city and would prefer to go to a school in a large metropolitan area. I see there are a lot of schools in places like Indiana and Ohio but to be honest I don't really know anything about those states. Which areas would you recommend I look into? I've already researched schools in the New York, California, and Florida areas. Where is your program located and do you like the area?

Hi! I’m a first year at Weill Cornell in NYC (not Ithaca, NY). The program itself is in midtown Manhattan but the hospital with the medical school where you have some classes, clinical rotations, and anatomy etc is a little more uptown in the Upper East Side (about 15 min subway commute from the midtown site). I’m actually from the NYC area, but went to undergrad in Miami. I actually returned to NYC because I saw my life and future here because there’s so much to do, see, and eat (especially eat haha). New York is a great state to be PA and there are so many major hospitals in NYC that are always looking to hire PAs (especially surgical PAs from a surgical program). I personally love it here, but keep in mind that living costs in NYC are much higher than other parts of the country (a small studio near the program is at least $1800/month). Definitely do your research on the area, as you are. Know what you want and what your deal breakers are because PA school is so stressful and busy.

There’s also a book that really helped me out when I was researching schools:

https://www.amazon.com/Applicants-Manual-Physician-Assistant-Programs/dp/1976073847

Good luck!

Edited by icjerseyveeb324
  • Like 2

On 6/14/2019 at 3:01 PM, icjerseyveeb324 said:

Hi! I’m a first year at Weill Cornell in NYC (not Ithaca, NY). The program itself is in midtown Manhattan but the hospital with the medical school where you have some classes, clinical rotations, and anatomy etc is a little more uptown in the Upper East Side (about 15 min subway commute from the midtown site). I’m actually from the NYC area, but went to undergrad in Miami. I actually returned to NYC because I saw my life and future here because there’s so much to do, see, and eat (especially eat haha). New York is a great state to be PA and there are so many major hospitals in NYC that are always looking to hire PAs (especially surgical PAs from a surgical program). I personally love it here, but keep in mind that living costs in NYC are much higher than other parts of the country (a small studio near the program is at least $1800/month). Definitely do your research on the area, as you are. Know what you want and what your deal breakers are because PA school is so stressful and busy.

There’s also a book that really helped me out when I was researching schools:

https://www.amazon.com/Applicants-Manual-Physician-Assistant-Programs/dp/1976073847

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check out that book

I’m a rising 2nd year at Rutgers in Piscataway/New Brunswick, NJ and I really love the area I’m in. My school is in a suburban area (I’m originally from a large suburb of Dallas, TX), so that made the transition/uprooting easier for me to handle as a Southerner. I love the fact that even though I live in a suburb, I’m an hour between major metropolitan cities like NYC and Philly, and not too far from cities like Boston and D.C. If I wanted to escape on an adventure, there’s no shortage of options for me.

All this being said, I would try focusing on schools in the same state as metro areas you’d love to work in vs. schools actually in those cities, because you would be able to apply more freely (with more options) and could still do your rotations in those cities. Who knows, maybe going to school in the burbs could be a nice change of pace?