2019-2020 Applicants

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/30/2019 at 2:44 PM, mnn804 said:

I received an invitation for October 11 interview yesterday. What does everyone think about the Doctor of Medical Science program?

I just received an invite for that day too! I actually wasn’t aware that an acceptance into the masters program would also mean a commitment to enroll in the doctor of medical science program (as the interview invite stated.) Does anyone know if that is absolutely a requirement? The email today was the first time I’ve ever even seen that, and I feel like I’ve basically memorized the entire pa program website. Do you know more about this requirement/where I can read more about it?

On 9/4/2019 at 10:31 PM, jclark10 said:

I just received an invite for that day too! I actually wasn’t aware that an acceptance into the masters program would also mean a commitment to enroll in the doctor of medical science program (as the interview invite stated.) Does anyone know if that is absolutely a requirement? The email today was the first time I’ve ever even seen that, and I feel like I’ve basically memorized the entire pa program website. Do you know more about this requirement/where I can read more about it?

I wasn't aware either! Under the School of PA Medicine tab on their website, there's a tab for Doctor of Medical Science program; however, it doesn't state any obligatory relation between the two degrees. On the other hand, the email does sound like it is a requirement using words like "explicit commitment." I asked a practicing PA and she said maybe the program is trying to compete with doctorate programs for NPs. I think since DMSc is a fairly new program, making it a requirement for PA students would help with enrollment. From my research, it seems like having the DMSc doesn't change how PAs practice. 

22 hours ago, EmergencyPA said:

Has anyone heard anything recently? I submitted my supplemental around mid august and received confirmation they had received it on Aug 23. I know they said 45 days usually, but had anyone heard anything sooner?

I submitted my supplemental mid-end of July, got a confirmation on Aug 22 and an interview invite on Aug 29 for Oct 11. No news seems like good news in these situations. Have hope! Best of luck!

On 9/13/2019 at 12:20 PM, EmergencyPA said:

Has anyone heard anything recently? I submitted my supplemental around mid august and received confirmation they had received it on Aug 23. I know they said 45 days usually, but had anyone heard anything sooner?

I received my conformation email on July 22 and still haven't heard anything either.

I received an interview invite as well, however after reading about the required doctorate after the masters, I will likely be turning it down. I have already had interviews at my top 3 schools, and I think it’s ridiculous that they would require this and not mention it anywhere on the website- personally I see it as a waste of my $100+ application, as I have no intention or need to get my doctorate after my masters. I hope for the programs sake they don’t lose more applicants such as myself because of this!

1 hour ago, dottie7 said:

I received an interview invite as well, however after reading about the required doctorate after the masters, I will likely be turning it down. I have already had interviews at my top 3 schools, and I think it’s ridiculous that they would require this and not mention it anywhere on the website- personally I see it as a waste of my $100+ application, as I have no intention or need to get my doctorate after my masters. I hope for the programs sake they don’t lose more applicants such as myself because of this!

I’m worried that it’s going to be even more debt but no significant pay increase once I become a PA. 

16 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

I’m worried that it’s going to be even more debt but no significant pay increase once I become a PA. 

Exactly. Unless you’re going into teaching, there is currently no pay difference. If I decide when the time comes I’d like extra training for more money, I’ll just do a residency instead of sending myself further into debt. 

On 9/4/2019 at 10:31 PM, jclark10 said:

What? If you find more info, you don't mind sharing? I applied for a masters not a PhD. I still haven't heard anything from the school and I couldn't find more info.