2019-2020 Application Cycle

On 12/10/2019 at 8:20 AM, Ltran2094 said:

For those who submitted a supplemental application, did you put the answers below each question or did you write it essay format? Also, how many pages did you use?

Lastly, did you submit a resume? 

I chose to write the answers right below the questions in paragraphs. Of course, they weren't that long given the word limit. I think it can out to 3 pages in all. As for the resume I did upload one.

12 hours ago, Finntastic said:

I chose to write the answers right below the questions in paragraphs. Of course, they weren't that long given the word limit. I think it can out to 3 pages in all. As for the resume I did upload one.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you include on your resume? 

Just received an invitation to submit a supplemental. I was shocked, because I thought this program would have filled their seats already. I've been accepted elsewhere, but I'm interested in this program because of the joint MPH. Can any students who have interviewed already provide a quick run down of what they thought of the program? Also what is involved in the supplemental? Thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Klillie said:

Just received an invitation to submit a supplemental. I was shocked, because I thought this program would have filled their seats already. I've been accepted elsewhere, but I'm interested in this program because of the joint MPH. Can any students who have interviewed already provide a quick run down of what they thought of the program? Also what is involved in the supplemental? Thank you!

Yea I received one too. Do you think it’s worth it at this point? I’d think most of the Seats are filled by now and I’d hate to think that the program is just sending out supplemental apps to their rejectees to make an extra $50

2 hours ago, Klillie said:

If an MPH is something you are very much interested in, I definitely recommend this program then. The advantage of graduating with a dual degree at this program is that there is overlap in a few courses that qualify as not only PA credits but also PH credits. For example, instead of having to take an additional 16 courses for an MPH degree, you'll end up taking only 12 courses because some of those courses count as credits towards your PA degree.  In addition, when you factor in the cost of a PA degree and the cost of a MPH degree separately, you are actually saving more money with TUC's dual degree program when you compare it to other programs.

The program also places emphasis in Primary Care in underserved and underrepresented communities and I personally feel like a degree in PH helps to address issues these communities face. Personally for me, I intend on practicing in Primary Care so I see a degree in PH beneficial to me because it'll help me to tackle the issues that communities that I was raised in face on a day to day basis. 

But what really stuck out to me the most was that TUC allows for rotations outside of Vallejo; specifically, they have network and connections with rotational sites in SoCal. I'm from SoCal so this is a huge plus for me because I want to rotate in the communities I was raised in; plus I'd be saving money on personal expenses such as room/boarding, food, etc. In addition, the program allows for you to set up your own sites so if you have a preceptor willing to take you in, they will work with that preceptor to get you set up to rotate at that site (advance notice and time has to be provided). I have a good friend that graduated from TUC a few years back and she told me she was able to rotate out-of-state - specifically Washington state. 

Another huge plus is that the program's faculty that interviewed and interacted with us that day are extremely warm and inviting. I felt really relaxed that day and it helped me to show my true colors during the entire process. The PA students that we had the chance to interact with were also super supportive and genuinely seem interested in us and our own stories. 

Supplemental involved submitting your resume as well as your GPA at each school you attended - probably a way to point out upward trends? Also, they have a prompt where you answer some demographic questions, re-applicant questions, etc. At the end of it, there are 3 short answer essays specific to the program. 

What I'm giving you is just a summary of the program and what I took away from it. Maybe reach out to "TourocaliPAs" for specific info. Overall, my impression of this program was GREAT after interviewing. 

• Like 3

For those of you who are looking for lodging and transportation information check here for recommendations from the school:

http://admissions.tu.edu/lodging/

http://facilities.tu.edu/campusmap/

I stayed at the DoubleTree in American Canyon for my interview. It was nice and they had a nice little restaurant where I grabbed a quick bite before leaving for my interview in the morning.  The school also offers a light breakfast before the interview which I definitely recommend taking advantage of. There are some restaurants around the American Canyon area where I got dinner at as well. There are also some hotels slightly closer to Touro that a number of my classmates stayed in. I am from Northern California so I drove up closer to the area the night before, but a few of my classmates who are from Southern California or from out of state flew into San Francisco Airport or Oakland Airport and they rented a car since they were from out of state.   

A few things to know: The school is on Mare Island so the only way to access the campus is on a bridge. There are two bridges that access the island, however, the larger of the two bridges (the CA-37 bridge) is normally rather backed up with morning traffic, and the smaller of the two bridges goes up periodically to allow for ships to pass. Although this doesn’t happen often, it can take about 10 minutes. I recommend planning accordingly for your commute to your interview by leaving extra time for traffic due to these bridges. If you are traveling from OAK or SFO airport or nearby cities that require you to take the 1-80E or 101 N, you will have to pay a toll. The tolls only accept cash, so make sure you have cash otherwise you will receive a ticket! The tolls are anywhere from $6-$8. Also, the tolls can cause a lot of traffic.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 10:57 AM, Orion said:

Yea I received one too. Do you think it’s worth it at this point? I’d think most of the Seats are filled by now and I’d hate to think that the program is just sending out supplemental apps to their rejectees to make an extra $50

Yeah I decided not to do the supplemental. Sounds like they are doing another interview on 1/22, but I decided to go with the school I have already been accepted to since I like the location better. I bet if you're really interested in this school, it's not too late to submit and hope for an invite for the 1/22 interview!

4 hours ago, ngocarolyn7 said:

Congrats!! Also interested in when you submitted your secondary application 🙂

This was my timeline for the 2/24 interview date:

Submitted CASPA: 7/16

Supplemental received & submitted: 11/4 & 11/27 

Interview Invite: 1/3

Hope that helps!

Hello everyone!  

For those interviewing on January 22nd: We will be holding an informal Meet and Greet on Tuesday, January 21st, at 4:30PM at the Mare Island Brewery Company (located at 289 Mare Island Way, Vallejo, CA). This is completely optional and will give you a chance to meet current students in the program as well as other interviewees. Hopefully it will help get rid of some nerves before your interview. If you're interested please take this quick survey:  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZSBSBW3. We look forward to seeing you there!