US Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration Diversion Control Division

Alert - Extortion Scam Targeting DEA Registrants - June 11, 2019

Extortion Scam Targeting DEA Registrants

Extortion Scam

DEA is aware that registrants are receiving telephone calls and emails by criminals identifying themselves as DEA employees or other law enforcement personnel. In an attempt to create the illusion that these criminals are DEA employees, they have masked their telephone number on caller id with a phone number for a legitimate DEA office.  For example, these criminals have used the phone numbers for DEA’s Office of Congressional and Public Affairs and DEA’s 800 number which is used to provide direct support to DEA registrants.

Impersonating a federal agent is a violation of federal law. Registrants should be aware that no DEA agent will ever contact members of the public by telephone to demand money or any other form of payment or threaten to suspend a registrant's DEA registration.

If you are contacted by a person purporting to work for DEA and seeking money or threatening to suspend your DEA registration, submit the information through “Extortion Scam Online Reporting” posted on the DEA Diversion Control Division’s website, www.DEADiversion.usdoj.gov.

Extortion Scam Online Reporting

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I got one of these calls a few weeks ago.  Basically someone claiming to be a DEA agent that would suspend my DEA license if I didn't wire several hundred $$$ to a specific account...I said, "Ok" and hung up.  Honestly, I would gladly have them suspend my DEA so I could just tell patients I can't write for controlled substances 😂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I love to mess with those idiots.

I work for the govt and have a govt exempt DEA. No cost. I am only covered at the VA.

If someone called me, I would transfer them to my MSO (medical staff office) - she would rip heads off.

If these criminals put half the energy of crime into a legit profession - some might actually be successful. Idiots.

I love to mess with those idiots.
I work for the govt and have a govt exempt DEA. No cost. I am only covered at the VA.
If someone called me, I would transfer them to my MSO (medical staff office) - she would rip heads off.
If these criminals put half the energy of crime into a legit profession - some might actually be successful. Idiots.

Same here. Local gov’t agency so no fee, and I NEVER use it. Come book me, Dano.