PA as Medical Directors

Hello ! I was wondering if anyone knows more information about how PA can work as medical director? I am interested in how PA can participate in the administrative system of healthcare in order to facilitate access to healthcare for patients. For example, maybe working as a medical director with health insurance group such as Monarch Health Care (Southern CA) and review authorization? I have tried to research up online but I haven't seen more information about PA in these roles beside those already been mentioned on AAPA site. Thank you !! 

It is a bit of an uphill battle and requires a good plan and persistence. I had planned on doing just that when I started my current position 2 .5 years ago. I found an organization with physicians and nurses at the top and the idea of a PA had never even crossed their minds. When they decided they needed 3 senior APPs the NPs formed a committee and picked 3 of their bestest buddies. My department VP, who has 2/3 of the APPs under his umbrella, wasn't even aware of the search until it was over and people had been appointed.

It can be done. You need a solid plan and explanation of why a PA should be in a position and then you have to keep working the issue until it happens. I ran out of energy and patience.

I think it will be a large struggle trying to get into an insurance company medical director position.  Not impossible, but really really hard if you don't have an in.  The admin positions I have held; assistant medical director, director of health services, and now VP of health services, have only been with private companies.  I think as more of us get doctorate degrees and try to break into admin, jobs will eventually start opening up.  We need to just apply for medical director and even CNO position regardless of not having the MD/DO/RN qualification they are looking for.  If enough of us apply, maybe one day, they will actually think about it.  

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Chiming in. I agree with the above. I am currently in negotiations for a medical director role. We are currently far apart but hopeful. They initially want to base my .7 admin FTE on my board certification, effectively putting me about 100k below the other medical directors. This is the conversation we are having now. I am the first APP in the organization to be in this position so it is understandable that there needs to be some education. I also need to figure out where I am still willing to walk away out of principle. If I accept something too low, it just puts everyone behind in a bad spot. I have been digging for any data on this to help support my stance. If anyone has any pointers, send them my way!