New Grad Family Practice Offer

Compensation: 85,000 to start after 6 months will go up to 90,000. Eligible for productivity bonus at 9 months which can add 5,000-15,000 on to salary. 

401k match, malpractice, 2000 for CME and Licensure, 3-weeks vacation. NO HEALTH BENEFITS. 

The position has a 4 day for week with an average patient volume of 20 pts per a day. Offices sees everything from peds to geriatric pts. As far as procedures most common procedures are hemorrhoidectomies and ingrown toe nails. Environment seems very welcoming and they have around 4 mid-levels right now. The no benefits part isn't that terrible because i'm getting married in a month and can go on my wife's benefit plan. What do ya'll think?

Where are you? Salary is a bit low given the below average benefits, but we need the details of that bonus. Not bad for 4 days a week though and 20 patients a day isn't terrible, although it should be much less when you start and work your way up.

What is the 401K match? 1%? 10%? Is malpractice occurence or claims made? If claims made, will they pay for tail? Do you get any time off for CME? If you're paying for licensure including DEA and state license and NCCPA out of the 2000, then you'll probably only have half that left for actualy CME. Check and see how much per month will it cost for you to be added to your wife's plan, it can sometimes be several hundred dollars a month.

What if you didn't have benefits through your wife? you would be paying a lot out of pocket for benefits. I would req more money due to no health benefits. 20 patients a day? that is A LOT even for experienced folk. Is this 10 hour days? if so, thats more reasonable. if 8 hour days, that would be hard to do. 

13 hours ago, AbeTheBabe said:

Where are you? Salary is a bit low given the below average benefits, but we need the details of that bonus. Not bad for 4 days a week though and 20 patients a day isn't terrible, although it should be much less when you start and work your way up.

What is the 401K match? 1%? 10%? Is malpractice occurence or claims made? If claims made, will they pay for tail? Do you get any time off for CME? If you're paying for licensure including DEA and state license and NCCPA out of the 2000, then you'll probably only have half that left for actualy CME. Check and see how much per month will it cost for you to be added to your wife's plan, it can sometimes be several hundred dollars a month.

What do you mean 20 patients per day is not terrible? Not sure what you see on a daily basis, but 20 is a lot when dealing with a 45 y.o. with HTN, DMII, Hyperlipidemia, current smoker, PVD, and obese that comes in with a stage 2 ankle ulcer and an A1C > 9%. Not sure how you can address the ulcer and A1C in a 7-10 min slot? Let alone all the other issues this patient has going on....This was just 1 patient this morning. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

What do you mean 20 patients per day is not terrible? Not sure what you see on a daily basis, but 20 is a lot when dealing with a 45 y.o. with HTN, DMII, Hyperlipidemia, current smoker, PVD, and obese that comes in with a stage 2 ankle ulcer and an A1C > 9%. Not sure how you can address the ulcer and A1C in a 7-10 min slot? Let alone all the other issues this patient has going on....This was just 1 patient this morning. 

True, I forget that FM patients will be more complex. But you can do 20 minute slots for 20 patients, and I'm sure some will be there for simple sniffles and such.

Also a new grad working in family practice, coming up on 1 year soon-ish. 

Salary is a bit low, but you also didn't mention the area this is in. It may be typical for your location. With no health benefits offering, I'd want a higher salary. Agree with the poster above about how much you'd be having to pay if you didn't have the luxury of going on your wife's plan. 

CME seems pretty standard if they cover DEA, state licensing, etc. Hopefully there's some time off you can take for CME and don't have to burn vacation. Otherwise, vacation would be a bit low to me.

20 patients per day average, as in some days >20 and some days <20? I'd also assume you have some admin time as part of your 40 hours? 10 hour days with 1 hour of admin (not seeing patients) means you're seeing 2+ patients per hour. That's likely gonna be tough as a new grad.

For reference, I started at my clinic seeing 1 patient per hour. About once per month, I open up a slot in my schedule. Mine (and our lead providers) plan is to be seeing 2 patients per hour at about the one year mark. 

It's not just seeing the patients and treating them, it's working through the EMR, figuring out where any supplies are, getting comfortable with your MA, double checking all your dang med doses (even for the simple stuff) because it's your name now that's signing that prescription, figuring out where the bathroom is in the clinic!

I don't have 20 minute slots, but a couple of the docs at our clinic do. 20 minutes may sound pretty reasonable, until your patient shows up 8 minutes late, is super chatty with your MA which takes an extra 3-4 minutes, and now you're down to seeing that patient in 5-7 minutes, plus charting, plus sending over their meds, and they will inevitably have 2-3 more questions (valid or not) that you patiently answer because you don't want to come off as a jerk! Most of our providers schedule straight 30 minute slots.

Also, you will have patients that you want to consult with one of the docs/PAs/NPs about. That'll definitely slow you down, and the other providers should know that and encourage you coming to consult with them. I still consult with one of the other providers almost every day about a patient or 2 that I'm seeing. Sometimes it's a simple run down of my A&P and their quick thoughts. Other times it's more in depth regarding a pretty sick patient with a weird presentation. 

I could talk more about my experience as a new grad in FP, but I've rambled on long enough for now I suppose. 

For comparison I started at $94,000, $2400 CME, 4% 401k/403b matching, 35 days off (includes 6 holidays, CME, bereavement, etc). Salary is set for 2 years, then is eligible for productivity bonuses. I have the option of coming off early if I'm productive enough to justify it. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AbeTheBabe said:

True, I forget that FM patients will be more complex. But you can do 20 minute slots for 20 patients, and I'm sure some will be there for simple sniffles and such.

Yes but also remember you have to chart, review labs/imaging/referrals/refill request/paper work, etc so you need admin time as well.