2019-2020 Applicants

Just now, futurepas13 said:

Omg!! I just got accepted to the Omaha campus. Interviewed 10/30. I can’t believe this is happening. So excited to meet everyone!

Congrats! I just received my official offer at 3:35pm today for the Omaha campus. Although, I received early acceptance on 12/4 and interviewed on 11/22. I'm looking forward to meeting you all as well 🙂

Hey everyone! For those of you have not received an e-mail, I am so sorry. That is really upsetting and I agree with "cruel". I wish they didn't do it that way. 

I was accepted into the Kearney campus, so I do believe those e-mails have been sent out. I hate to ever crush someone's hope but also maybe it will give you a little insight and help you prepare yourself for news other than what you're hoping for. 

On 12/13/2019 at 4:50 PM, verydisappointed said:

unfortunately. However, that hasn't stopped my anxiety levels from being through the roof. Also, its even more crushing and defeating this time.

I’m in the same boat. I applied last year and was waitlisted. Even was number 8 on the list as of June. Interviewed again this year, and thought I killed it. Yet I still haven’t heard anything, and I’m going crazy in anticipation. Trying to prepare myself if it’s not the answer I want. 

Hi all! I am a current PA-1 student at UNMC and wanted to share my story with you all to help ease some anxiety! I know it can be hard to read this forum and see who has gotten accepted or not and wait for your acceptance decision--I was in your same shoes last year! It is tough and I always say that I would not wish the application process on my worst enemy. HOWEVER! If you have not received an acceptance letter, don't stress out just yet! I was wait listed last year along with MANY of my current classmates and they all still made it! So many people come from off the wait list, so if you are wait listed, it's not the end of the world! I was wait listed and didn't get off of it until May, but I am still here and finding myself very successful in UNMC's program. My best friend in my class also got rejected from PA schools for 3 years in a row, and is now in my class after her 4th application cycle. If you do get rejected and this is still your dream, don't give up just yet!

I also wanted to address some things in "hopefulpa9485" 's comment on the first page. First and foremost, I don't believe this person is a "current student" like they say they are. They have posted in many other 2019-2020 application cycle forums and have stated that they are applying, so it looks like they are NOT a current UNMC student (which is what they made it sound like). Secondly, there were a lot of comments about out of state tuition. Yes, it is expensive if you are an out of state student (just like it is for every other program in the nation), but UNMC also has one of the lowest tuition rates because we are not on a coast and we are a public university! Also, if you are out of state, DO NOT LET THAT DISCOURAGE YOU! Most of my class is from out of state (almost half!) and so this does not deter the admissions committee if you are out of state. I had never heard of UNMC letting bordering states pay in state tuition, but I can't see how that would be fair anyways. 

We are now a part of college of allied health, which is accurate, but we still use and interact with the medical school constantly. All of our professors come from the college of med and a lot of the courses we take are the same ones that the med students take, especially our anatomy. Just because that decision was made, does not mean that the quality of the program suffers. We are taking a more inter professional approach to our education which is beneficial to ALL healthcare workers in the long run. Instead of funneling us in the college of medicine, where we would only talk with the medical students, we are mixed in with nursing, physical therapy, radiography, MRI, genetic counseling, pharmacy, and so many other professions. This is extremely helpful as we will need to interact with ALL roles to be successful as PA's! No one profession is more important than the other and that's what I love about UNMC. 

This person also addressed retention rate so I will comment on that as well. UNMC's retention rate is outstanding and their curriculum is so advanced and calculated and I am so proud to be a part of this university. Sure, there are a few people who fail classes, but that is with EVERY PA school and many people remediate and are just fine. Very few people drop out (I have not heard of anyone dropping or failing out of UNMC's program), so it is really not an issue here. UNMC definitely knows what they are doing, which is why they are ranked as one of the best PA schools in the nation (and yes that ranking counts because they look at PANCE passing rates, failing rates, faculty background, etc.) and UNMC has most definitely earned their spot. Also, when you talked to first semester PA students, the advice they gave you was good and sound! I'm not sure what this person was getting at by saying "don't talk to first year students because they can't tell you much." We are only here for 1 year during the didactic year (so the second year students are all away on clinicals and they would have been 3 months removed from their didactic year and could have told you all about their clinicals, but before you can get there, you have to pass didactic year which I'm sure you're all focused on and asking about!) and we are currently going through it all! Even with just being a few weeks, I could give you a good feeling about the university and their passing rates because I asked all about that during my first week. When you talked to us during interviews, we were over half way done with this semester so we had a great grasp on what was going on and where we were at. Also, the faculty here is AMAZING and I back them one hundred percent. I don't know who this "one" faculty member is that this person was talking about, but all of the faculty that I've interacted have been professional, but care about you on such a deep level. This semester has had its up and downs for me, and so many people have really helped me along. I've even cried in a (few) faculty members' offices and they have been so amazing. While they let me talk about my fears and anxieties, they are also there to develop my professional skills so they work with me on that as well. That's their job, so to say that they are "strictly professional" isn't really a bad thing, because we all want to emulate them and their level of professionalism, or at least I do! This faculty is HIGHLY qualified and they continue to amaze me and what they do from their standpoint!

While I am partial because this was my top choice school and obviously I haven't been through other programs, I do want to say that UNMC is seriously such a high class school and I will do my very best to defend them! However, many other PA schools in Nebraska are also amazing and deserve recognition as well (Creighton is an outstanding program for being in their first year!!). If you guys have any questions at all, or would like to talk about anything, let me know! I will be 100% transparent with you all! Good luck with applying and try not to stress out too much!!

-Laura Stoner, PA-S1

UNMC PA Class of 2021

Edited by LauraS24
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, LauraS24 said:

Hi all! I am a current PA-1 student at UNMC and wanted to share my story with you all to help ease some anxiety! I know it can be hard to read this forum and see who has gotten accepted or not and wait for your acceptance decision--I was in your same shoes last year! It is tough and I always say that I would not wish the application process on my worst enemy. HOWEVER! If you have not received an acceptance letter, don't stress out just yet! I was wait listed last year along with MANY of my current classmates and they all still made it! So many people come from off the wait list, so if you are wait listed, it's not the end of the world! I was wait listed and didn't get off of it until May, but I am still here and finding myself very successful in UNMC's program. My best friend in my class also got rejected from PA schools for 3 years in a row, and is now in my class after her 4th application cycle. If you do get rejected and this is still your dream, don't give up just yet!

I also wanted to address some things in "hopefulpa9485" 's comment on the first page. First and foremost, I don't believe this person is a "current student" like they say they are. They have posted in many other 2019-2020 application cycle forums and have stated that they are applying, so it looks like they are NOT a current UNMC student (which is what they made it sound like). Secondly, there were a lot of comments about out of state tuition. Yes, it is expensive if you are an out of state student (just like it is for every other program in the nation), but UNMC also has one of the lowest tuition rates because we are not on a coast and we are a public university! Also, if you are out of state, DO NOT LET THAT DISCOURAGE YOU! Most of my class is from out of state (almost half!) and so this does not deter the admissions committee if you are out of state. I had never heard of UNMC letting bordering states pay in state tuition, but I can't see how that would be fair anyways. 

We are now a part of college of allied health, which is accurate, but we still use and interact with the medical school constantly. All of our professors come from the college of med and a lot of the courses we take are the same ones that the med students take, especially our anatomy. Just because that decision was made, does not mean that the quality of the program suffers. We are taking a more inter professional approach to our education which is beneficial to ALL healthcare workers in the long run. Instead of funneling us in the college of medicine, where we would only talk with the medical students, we are mixed in with nursing, physical therapy, radiography, MRI, genetic counseling, pharmacy, and so many other professions. This is extremely helpful as we will need to interact with ALL roles to be successful as PA's! No one profession is more important than the other and that's what I love about UNMC. 

This person also addressed retention rate so I will comment on that as well. UNMC's retention rate is outstanding and their curriculum is so advanced and calculated and I am so proud to be a part of this university. Sure, there are a few people who fail classes, but that is with EVERY PA school and many people remediate and are just fine. Very few people drop out (I have not heard of anyone dropping or failing out of UNMC's program), so it is really not an issue here. UNMC definitely knows what they are doing, which is why they are ranked as one of the best PA schools in the nation (and yes that ranking counts because they look at PANCE passing rates, failing rates, faculty background, etc.) and UNMC has most definitely earned their spot. Also, when you talked to first semester PA students, the advice they gave you was good and sound! I'm not sure what this person was getting at by saying "don't talk to first year students because they can't tell you much." We are only here for 1 year during the didactic year (so the second year students are all away on clinicals and they would have been 3 months removed from their didactic year and could have told you all about their clinicals, but before you can get there, you have to pass didactic year which I'm sure you're all focused on and asking about!) and we are currently going through it all! Even with just being a few weeks, I could give you a good feeling about the university and their passing rates because I asked all about that during my first week. When you talked to us during interviews, we were over half way done with this semester so we had a great grasp on what was going on and where we were at. Also, the faculty here is AMAZING and I back them one hundred percent. I don't know who this "one" faculty member is that this person was talking about, but all of the faculty that I've interacted have been professional, but care about you on such a deep level. This semester has had its up and downs for me, and so many people have really helped me along. I've even cried in a (few) faculty members' offices and they have been so amazing. While they let me talk about my fears and anxieties, they are also there to develop my professional skills so they work with me on that as well. That's their job, so to say that they are "strictly professional" isn't really a bad thing, because we all want to emulate them and their level of professionalism, or at least I do! This faculty is HIGHLY qualified and they continue to amaze me and what they do from their standpoint!

While I am partial because this was my top choice school and obviously I haven't been through other programs, I do want to say that UNMC is seriously such a high class school and I will do my very best to defend them! However, many other PA schools in Nebraska are also amazing and deserve recognition as well (Creighton is an outstanding program for being in their first year!!). If you guys have any questions at all, or would like to talk about anything, let me know! I will be 100% transparent with you all! Good luck with applying and try not to stress out too much!!

-Laura Stoner, PA-S1

UNMC PA Class of 2021

So if you do happen to get waitlisted they tell you what number on the list you are? Just curious as someone else mentioned they were #8.

1 hour ago, KBA45201 said:

So if you do happen to get waitlisted they tell you what number on the list you are? Just curious as someone else mentioned they were #8.

They don’t tell you right off the bat (In December or January) what number you are. But when I emailed them late June asking for tips on improving my application this past summer, I got a response directly from a faculty member saying that the class was full, but they did have some movement in the prior weeks. They then told me my spot, and said I think it is unlikely, though not impossible that I would be offered a seat for this past August. I think they just didn’t want me to get my hopes up. 

Edited by jabpa

On 12/15/2019 at 9:52 AM, LauraS24 said:

-Laura Stoner, PA-S1

UNMC PA Class of 2021

Hey there....that wasn't my comment. The original comment I posted was just me asking for clarification as to what the OP said. I actually really liked this program and it was my top choice.

• Like 1