Hi,

I graduated in december 2018, passed the boards, got my license, but have been struggling to find a job as a new grad. Everyone wants at least 2 years experience, no matter big name or no name or wants an NP. Now 6 months out of school with loans about to kick in I'm getting discouraged, but have too much of a debt burden to move out of state. The gap since graduation has started to come up in interviews as well and I anticipate it will only get worse. Any tips or leads? I've contacted old precptors,  have an updated linkedin account and actively apply daily, but just curious if there are any other strategies people used as a recent grad.

Thank you!

If you're getting interviews that is a good sign. You might consider getting an interview coach for a session or two to analyze how you're presenting yourself. Have you reached out through the alumni network of your program?

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I have tried my University career center, however they just reviewed my resume and said unfortunately the hunt is alot about who you know and verified that I had tried contacting my most recent rotations for any leads. They also suggested looking for posts that specify new grad friendly however those have been few and far between and 3 of them I interviewed for ended up not taking the new grad after all. We did a mock interview that was recorded before leaving the program and I got good feedback on that. I'll try the alumni page on LinkedIn .

Are you still looking?  Are you in Massachusetts?  I could probably get you a position in correctional medicine. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By azups94
      Hello all, 
      Recent new graduate here. I just received an offer from a small private, moderately paced urgent care/primary care office and I have a few questions about some items in my contract. Not sure if the items are reasonable for PAs in my area and looking to get some feedbacks from actual PAs in practice rather than just my parents. Here are a few details of my contract:
      - 18 month contract with required 90 days written notice of termination
      - 96K salary with bump after completing "training CME" courses paid for by the practice. 17 weeks to complete the courses and salary will increase to 101K
      - Productivity bonuses based on wRVUs and charts completed and coded within 48 hours
      - PTO accrued based on time worked. Begin accruing PTO 1 month after completing 90 day introductory period. PTO is to be used for PERSONAL DAYS, SICK DAYS, and VACATION time. (contract states that in first 0-3 years I can accumulate up to 100 hrs/2.5 weeks PTO)
      - Non-compete clause during employment and 12 months after termination. Cannot engage in primary, multi-specialty, urgent care offering similar services within a 2 mile radius of any clinics. (This can be kind of limiting for me due to the central location of the clinics in the city - I am considering a negotiation for this to be removed or possibly brought down to 1 mile)
      - Still need clarification of type of malpractice insurance, but it is offered. (Not sure if I will require tail coverage yet but will be finding out)
      - Multiple Heath insurance policies available but not covered 100% by practice. Most expensive policy will cost $162 Bi-weekly for employee coverage (No additional spouse or family coverage)

Additionally, I have a few concerns about orientation and training on site. Currently, both clinics have single provider coverage with experienced NPs. Will be asking tomorrow about my expectations for providing single-provider coverage and working on my own. Was told by employed NP that the providers at both clinics are in constant communication via phone and text. Also assures me that the Medical Director is often on site and always quickly answers phone calls and texts. Medical director seems very eager to teach but I still have concerns about his expectations for me as a new grad due to his experience with mainly experienced NPs. 
      ALSO, the salary is VERY tempting and I don't want to be blinded..
      Thank you all for any help or feedback you can give!
    • By ndpa1
      I will graduate in December, and I've just been offered an Urgent Care position in a busy UC clinic in the Midwest. The clinic is based in a growing metro area and after one year I will be expected to see 25+ patients daily. The clinic is comprised primarily of PAs and NPs with at least one physician staffed at each clinic location. 4 to 6 month training period depending on comfort level. 
      0.9 FTE at 50/hr 3, 12 hour shifts/week and working every 4th weekend. 1.5x OT differential  401k but not matched until one year of service. After one year, employer will contribute 50% of each dollar up to 2% of annual pay. Match is then 100% vested at that time 26 days PTO, unsure about rolling over into the following year $2500/yr for CME. Employer covers DEA/licensing $3500 moving allowance Good health insurance with dental and vision Malpractice with tail 2 year noncompete at any other urgent care within 5 miles of "home" location (there is opportunity outside a 5 mile radius, so I'm not terribly concerned with this) Xray, lab on site  No production bonus Does this look like a solid offer? I would like there to be a productivity bonus, but its not a deal-breaker. I want to ask for 1.0 FTE for the extra assistance in paying back student loans also. Would it be unreasonable to ask for a sign on bonus as well?
      Thank you in advance!
    • By KPMGZ8
      Hello All,
      I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for a question bank to help learn critical care medicine? I'm a relatively new PA (graduated in May 2018) and have been practicing in critical care for about a year now. I work in a 26 bed mixed ICU at a community hospital. I've been reading the Washington Manual of Critical Care, Marino's ICU Book, and Up-to-Date. I've also done the Critical Care board review course offered by the SCCM. I'd like to find a question bank that I can use to test my critical care knowledge as well as general adult medical knowledge.
      I used ROSH review to study for the PANCE and really liked it. I used the app on my phone and was able to answer questions throughout the day and found it easy to answer a few questions here and there without having to dedicate exclusive study time. I'd like to find something with an equivalent ease of use but ROSH doesn't have any questions geared specifically towards CCM. ROSH does have IM and EM question banks consisting of ~ 1000 questions geared towards residents which I've considered as an option. ROSH also has the NCCPA Hospital Medicine CAQ question bank for Hospitalist PAs that I've considered. Additionally, it seems that CHEST SEEK Critical Care Medicine and the SCCM Self-Assessment Multiprofessional Critical Care are used frequently by CCM fellows who are studying for the CCM Boards. I fear that these latter resources may be too dense for my understanding at this point.
      So... My hope is that someone out there has some insight into these (and other) question bank resources and can help guide my decision before dropping hundreds of dollars. I appreciate any help or suggestions.
    • By Spacey22
      Hey guys!
      My husband is in the Navy and he JUST got orders to Mississippi for March 2020. I also JUST got a new job where we are located at right now. I’m also a new grad PA, so I plan on doing the long distance thing for several months (ugh) so that I can say that I’ve got a year of experience on my resume. 
      Can anyone tell me what the job market is like in Mississippi (specifically Gulfport/Biloxi)? 
      Is the job market better in Alabama? Should I focus on getting my license there instead, or Mississippi? It’s an hour drive to Mobile.
      What’s the licensing process like for Mississippi? I heard the medical board has to interview you. What is that like?

thank you!
    • By pennyp
      Hi everyone! I’m a new grad PA who just graduated a couple months ago and I’m primarily interested in GI, Family, or Hospital Medicine. A PA who I used to shadow in Thoracic Surgery reached out to me and asked for my resume and I thought, what the hell, I’ll give it a shot and see what this job is about. I just had an interview for this Thoracic surgery job and the team is willing to give me great training as a new grad. It seems great, but I’m not crazy about surgery and don’t have much procedure experience. They haven’t given me an offer yet, but I’m concerned that I won’t know what to do if they do. Should I hold out and see if I get an opportunity in specialty that I really want?  Part of me worries that if I turn this down another opportunity won’t come along...as I’ve already applied to about 15 different places the past month but haven’t heard anything back. Also how long is appropriate time to ask for before accepting an offer? 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More