Pre-recs/PA school in general for a non-sciencey person?

Hi! I'm currently a rising junior, 20 years old, and really trying to figure out whether PA school is a good fit for me.  I am a certified EMT, and am a member of my college's EMT club (we are on call throughout the week and respond to calls on campus, typically ETOH/Psych/Trauma related calls).  I enjoy many aspects of the medical field--I am currently double majoring in Psychology and Anthropology, and love learning about medical terminology, diseases, psychological conditions/issues/disorders, public health (I've taken Medical Anthropology), and more.  In addition, I strongly look forward to the end goal of PA school (as I'm sure all of us do): I can genuinely see myself working in this profession, due to the flexibility you have in working in various fields and my enjoyment of the field of medicine/interacting with people. 

However...I have never been a huge science fan.  I enjoy learning anatomy/anything about the human body, really, but learning things at the molecular level bores me.  I am more than willing to slog through the pre-recs of Chem and Bio to get to PA school, but what I worry about is being overwhelmed by learning things that I do not directly care about and losing interest/passion.  Can anyone speak to how challenging this may be for me? I've put together a list of schools I would want to go to, and have looked at their pre-recs.  I've taken Statistics and Psychology, but have not taken any Chemistry or Biology courses.

Thank you in advance for your time, and please let me know if there's anything I can clarify!

PA school has some similarity with the prereqs; you will learn stuff at times you are less interested in than others and some things you may never use.

That said, it’s all part of the process. I am a strong believer that even a small step along a path towards a goal tells you something about yourself and how you really feel about the goal.

If I were you, I’d stop dancing around your science prereqs and take some. It will tell you a lot about yourself. And your future patients will appreciate it that you’ve been properly trained.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, UGoLong said:

PA school has some similarity with the prereqs; you will learn stuff at times you are less interested in than others and some things you may never use.

That said, it’s all part of the process. I am a strong believer that even a small step along a path towards a goal tells you something about yourself and how you really feel about the goal.

If I were you, I’d stop dancing around your science prereqs and take some. It will tell you a lot about yourself. And your future patients will appreciate it that you’re properly trained.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input! I wouldn't say I've been "dancing" around the pre-recs--I forgot to mention, but I've only been considering PA school for the past couple months. And of course I want to be properly trained!

On 6/10/2019 at 10:47 AM, lexgiff said:

learning things at the molecular level bores me.

Pathophysiology in PA school goes into this stuff in detail.  Clinical medicine courses will go into this stuff here and there.

what I worry about is being overwhelmed by learning things that I do not directly care about and losing interest/passion

You will be overwhelmed and will learn things that are boring AF.  

Can anyone speak to how challenging this may be for me?

This depends on your own discipline.  If can't handle boring crap at an undergraduate level I would proceed with caution.  However, you won't know until you take chemistry/biology/biochemistry...etc.

I found motivation to learn boring stuff by thinking how much I don't want to be working where I was and that makes me keep going.

38 minutes ago, Ket131 said:

Pathophysiology in PA school goes into this stuff in detail.  Clinical medicine courses will go into this stuff here and there.

You will be overwhelmed and will learn things that are boring AF.  

This depends on your own discipline.  If can't handle boring crap at an undergraduate level I would proceed with caution.  However, you won't know until you take chemistry/biology/biochemistry...etc.

I found motivation to learn boring stuff by thinking how much I don't want to be working where I was and that makes me keep going.

That's why my comment about trying stuff in at least a small way instead of spending lots of time ruminating.

Regardless of one's career direction, there are things you have to do that are at best peripheral to your objective. Your ability to tolerate -- or actually find out you enjoy some of it -- tells you a lot about whether or not you are on the right path. For example, I could find some interesting stuff in organic chemistry (but not the memorizing 220 reactions), even though I knew I needed maybe 1/100th of it for biochem and that biochem would be essential for lots of other things.

Take a step and see how it makes you feel. As far as I'm concerned after 73 years of life, that's the holy grail.

Archived