Sitting for the Nurse Practitioner Boards as a PA......

3 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

It is happening at a faster pace than I ever thought it would. The states you mention are , indeed, being dragged down by organized medicine. I can't speak for any other state but Texas will probably get OTP after American Somoa and Guam. The only upside is there is about zero chance of NPs getting independence and leaving us behind. 

ND did this very quietly. There wasn't any chatter or requests for support just BOOM...look what we did. Great work.

lol yep, you are right.  The Texas Medical board is the Good Ol' Boy (*GOB) network in living color!  I mean, they just tried to take away our ability to order and interpret X-Ray for craps sake!?  If that wasn't a shot across the bow, then I don't know what one looks like....

On 6/18/2019 at 9:36 PM, Diggy said:

• DNP 4 year BSN + 4-6 years BSN to DNP = 8-10 years + LOL in student loans*
  • DNP 4 year BS/BA + 1-2 years ABSN + 4-6 years BSN to DNP = 9-12 years + LOOL in student loans*

* these programs are not worth it unless the school award scholarships based on academic merit or other qualifications that practically pay for 70% of the education*

ahhh I am not sure on this

There is direct entry 3 yr part time NP programs then get you to practice..... then DNP is just some on line courses......  no way these two statements are correct

There is direct entry 3 yr DNP programs if you have a BS/BA already https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/schools/cson/academics/DNP-program/DNP-program/direct-entry-dnp.html

Seems like you are giving some false facts that elevate DNP way above what it is...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ventana said:

ahhh I am not sure on this

There is direct entry 3 yr part time NP programs then get you to practice..... then DNP is just some on line courses......  no way these two statements are correct

There is direct entry 3 yr DNP programs if you have a BS/BA already https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/schools/cson/academics/DNP-program/DNP-program/direct-entry-dnp.html

Seems like you are giving some false facts that elevate DNP way above what it is...

Nope, not trying to elevate DNP at all. I actually forgot those things actually exist. When I was looking for schools to apply to I only ran into BSN TO MSN and BSN to DNP... And direct entry MSN. Trust me, I am not a fan of the whole DNP thing...not even a fan of majority of the MSN programs. 

still yet to find a brick and mortar MSN FNP program because I'm not a fan of online courses. 

Ie: Jefferson University has a BSN to DNP-FNP which is 1 year ABSN + 4 years full time or 6 years partime DNP mostly online. Aka 5-7years. So no, not elevating this. So for me...if I did do Jefferson program, I would've completed 5 years of undergrad, 1 year ABSN, and 4 years FULLTIME DNP which IS 10 years of study to become FNP with a DNP...nontraditional route. 

There are so many ways to become a RN and eventually a NP that it is exhausting and even prostpectives are confused of which route to take. The list is just goes on and on and on. I wish I had done that 3 year DNP... But never ran across it. 

Edited by Diggy

9 hours ago, Diggy said:

Nope, not trying to elevate DNP at all. I actually forgot those things actually exist. When I was looking for schools to apply to I only ran into BSN TO MSN and BSN to DNP... And direct entry MSN. Trust me, I am not a fan of the whole DNP thing...not even a fan of majority of the MSN programs. 

still yet to find a brick and mortar MSN FNP program because I'm not a fan of online courses. 

Ie: Jefferson University has a BSN to DNP-FNP which is 1 year ABSN + 4 years full time or 6 years partime DNP mostly online. Aka 5-7years. So no, not elevating this. So for me...if I did do Jefferson program, I would've completed 5 years of undergrad, 1 year ABSN, and 4 years FULLTIME DNP which IS 10 years of study to become FNP with a DNP...nontraditional route. 

There are so many ways to become a RN and eventually a NP that it is exhausting and even prostpectives are confused of which route to take. The list is just goes on and on and on. I wish I had done that 3 year DNP... But never ran across it. 

I second Ventana, looks like you may be trying to make MSN and DNP appear more stringent  than they are. Read pages 24-28 of Jefferson’s Nursing curriculum. https://www.jefferson.edu/content/dam/tju/JSN/files/Nursing.pdf

BSN to MSN:15months is 36 credits, 2 semesters 12 credit and 2 summer semesters 6 credits each=full time

MSN to DNP:  36 credits, 2 years full time, maybe full time is fall-spring, fall-spring 9 credits each so students can work. 

On 6/20/2019 at 9:35 AM, Cideous said:

While that is fantastic, I see Zero evidence of that happening anytime soon in Texas, Florida, NY, California, Oregon ......Etc.  So I guess if you are choosing to be a PA now over an NP and want to move to North Dakota....Then yes, you have a shot at the shingle.  However, if you want to live anywhere else.....

Just as an FYI, FAPA (Florida PA Assoc.) had a bill (with the NP/APRN groups) in the FL legislature this past session that did something similar to what that looks like (full disclosure: I read the synopsis of the ND bill posted here and not the full official language of the bill).  The FMA (Florida Medical Assoc.) hit the wallets pretty hard and 2 Senators basically refused to hear it (bill passed the House) due to strong ties with FMA.  Next session is likely to revisit the same and is looking like it might have some legs.  There is a lot of support for this type of progress. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

I second Ventana, looks like you may be trying to make MSN and DNP appear more stringent  than they are. Read pages 24-28 of Jefferson’s Nursing curriculum. https://www.jefferson.edu/content/dam/tju/JSN/files/Nursing.pdf

BSN to MSN:15months is 36 credits, 2 semesters 12 credit and 2 summer semesters 6 credits each=full time

MSN to DNP:  36 credits, 2 years full time, maybe full time is fall-spring, fall-spring 9 credits each so students can work. 

Seriously? Jesus I can't win. I JUST stated that Jefferson D N P is 4 years BSN TO DNP fulltime and 6 years partime...never said it was difficult and definitely said I'm not a fan of the curriculum. Or we also going to ignore my little comment about "there are a wide array of options and paths for an RNs to become an NP and listing all those options is exhausting?"...ASN TO MSN/DNP, ASN TO BSN, ASN TO BSN TO BSN-DNP, BSN TO DNP, ABSN TO MSN TO DNP, ABSN TO DNP....direct entry MSN, direct entry MSN TO DNP, direct entry DNP....all those count up in years to go from RN TO NP...so ONCE again, no I'm not trying to make DNP OR MSN look more stringent. 

I'm done with this conversation because you're both tiring...

I guess we're just selectively choosing what to read these days. 

Edited by Diggy
  • Like 1