Hey! If anyone has any questions regarding PA school or their application please don't hesitate to let me know!

I applied to 9 schools, got accepted to 1, waitlisted at 4 schools and denied to 4 schools.

When I was applying there were not many resources to find other students who were accepted with low GPAs to see what they have done, so I just want to help out as much as possible. This is a very stressful part of an individual's life and having someone to relate to can definitely help out.

If anyone feels uncomfortable commenting their questions on here or need a super fast response, feel free to message me on my instagram as well: Naisphan

Right now, I'm a volunteer pre-pa mentor for two community colleges in my neighborhood.

I don't want to make this a super long post but a quick overview of my statistics:

cGPA: 3.1

sGPA: 3.01

Last 60 credit hours: 3.8

PCE: 2600

HCE: 1500

Shadowing Hours: 144

GRE: Did not take

There is so so so much more than just the numbers. I really mean that. I have spoken with a whole bunch of PA admissions committee members directly at multiple schools about my application and also what they're looking for in potential applicants. I've also spoken to many students and pre-pa mentors as well to help me throughout the process.

With my low GPA, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make it into school but with the help of my mentors I was able to craft a great application.

Don't be discouraged at all, there are so many things to do to make your application much better!!! It really is a holistic application and as long as you reach the minimums, anything is possible from there. Again, AMA either here or on my instagram page!!!

• Like 7
  • Upvote 5

Hello 😃

First of all, congrats on getting accepted to PA school! And thanks for emphasizing  that PA schools don't look just at the numbers, although sometimes it feels like it when you are getting overwhelmed with the application process, i am guilty of it. 

What schools did you apply to? 

Did you apply early or late?

Awesome I needed to hear that! My GRE Is low and I felt like I wouldn’t get into any schools until reading this post! What schools did you apply to and what school were you accepted to? 

On 6/5/2019 at 6:33 PM, Naisphan said:

Hey! If anyone has any questions regarding PA school or their application please don't hesitate to let me know!

I applied to 9 schools, got accepted to 1, waitlisted at 4 schools and denied to 4 schools.

When I was applying there were not many resources to find other students who were accepted with low GPAs to see what they have done, so I just want to help out as much as possible. This is a very stressful part of an individual's life and having someone to relate to can definitely help out.

If anyone feels uncomfortable commenting their questions on here or need a super fast response, feel free to message me on my instagram as well: Naisphan

Right now, I'm a volunteer pre-pa mentor for two community colleges in my neighborhood.

I don't want to make this a super long post but a quick overview of my statistics:

cGPA: 3.1

sGPA: 3.01

Last 60 credit hours: 3.8

PCE: 2600

HCE: 1500

Shadowing Hours: 144

GRE: Did not take

There is so so so much more than just the numbers. I really mean that. I have spoken with a whole bunch of PA admissions committee members directly at multiple schools about my application and also what they're looking for in potential applicants. I've also spoken to many students and pre-pa mentors as well to help me throughout the process.

With my low GPA, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make it into school but with the help of my mentors I was able to craft a great application.

Don't be discouraged at all, there are so many things to do to make your application much better!!! It really is a holistic application and as long as you reach the minimums, anything is possible from there. Again, AMA either here or on my instagram page!!!

Hi,

Congrats on the acceptance. I'm in a similar academic background situation. Which school did you get accepted to, and which schools did you get wait listed? 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Madison34213
      Hi, just to give some background, I am a 22 y/o make and a senior at the university of Tennessee @ Knoxville majoring in history and minoring in chemistry. I was originally set on going the MD route until I was recently introduced to the inner workings of the PA career and am now very interested. I am looking for any advice on how to improve my resume as well as schools which I fit the criteria for. I am interested in the northeastern portion of the US as well as Chicago but am open to recommendation. Thank you in advance to any advice 

I have yet to take the GRE, but I have no doubts that I will perform well with diligence and hard work.
      My resume: 
      History Major
      Chemistry minor 
      3.65 gpa 
      3.4 sgpa
      300 hours of very meaningful volunteer work in a rural and very low income southern town over the course of two summers 
      100 hours at 1hr per week in underfunded elementary school nursing clinics performing first aid and essentially fulfilling the role of absent nurses 
      50 hours of providing medical care to rural villages in the Dominican Republic
      240 hours as a CNA during the summer of my sophomore year
      currently scribing at a level 1 trauma center as an ED scribe with a projected 1300 hours as of the time that I will apply 
      Vice President of Clinic Vols: the organization providing first aid in elementary schools, as Vice President I do a lot of management type work as well as provide and dictate first aid training to around 100 people a semester.
      Vice President of Global medical training chapter: help plan and coordinate a Medical trip to the Dominican as well as involvement in recruitment. 

1 yr of molecular biophysics research at Oak ridge national laboratory, specially focusing on drug development in the case of poly cystic kidney disease, CKD, and Barth syndrome as they relate to the protein Taffazin and it’s interaction with cardiolipin. 

im also from a small rural town in middle Tennessee if they has any significance. 

• By magboo
      So I finally got a job at my dream hospital!! I am currently working there as a Patient Care Technician/ PCT. However, I will be leaving for PA school next year. I really want to return to this hospital and work as a PA! The problem is that getting a job at my hospital is super competitive. Is there a way for me to ensure/ increase my chances of getting a PA job in this facility in the future?

(Also, what do you guys think of requesting a absense of leave instead of quitting? Can I be able to come back to the hospital to pursue a higher position?)

Thanks in advance!
    • By EstherM
      Hi everyone, and congratulations if you've been accepted to OHSU for the class of 2022!  I look forward to meeting you and the rest of our cohort in June 2020.  🙂 
      OHSU staff will create a Facebook group for us in February once the cohort is complete.  Until then, I'd like to get to know each other and compare notes to prepare for the gauntlet ahead of us.  First things that come to mind:
      1.  Housing:  I'm moving from San Diego to Portland, and I've been hunting for subsidized housing near campus.  Does anyone know of a student housing waitlist?  I've seen some buildings designated for college students attending any college in Portland.  If I'm unable to find a reasonable studio, then I'd be open to a roommate situation.  PM me if you're similarly inclined.  🙂
      2.  Studying:  This forum has some great advice for handling the stress and rigor of PA programs.  I just purchased the audiobook Make It Stick by Peter Brown, recommended by a PA graduate for studying techniques that improve retention.  I plan to review A&P, Medical Terminology, and EKG interpretation.  I imagine Pathophysiology and Pharmacology will hit me hard.  Flashcards and making summary pages have worked well for me in the past.  How about you? 
      Study groups have helped me as long as everyone was as focused/motivated to contribute as much as I was without things turning into social hour.  Otherwise, I do better studying alone.  I tend to be shy under stress and hesitant to talk about my mistakes.  I want to connect with others, support everyone's success, and coach each other through the low points.  Plus, being too socially isolated would only make PA school that much harder.  
      3.  Stress:  I'm pretty sure that I'm going to cry and freak out at some point, haha.  From what others have said, that's totally normal.  I handle stress by exercising and meditating (no drinking/smoking).  My spirituality also helps.  My worst fear is failing an exam and risking my dream / reputation / a ton of debt.  My goal is to do my best, one week at a time, no matter what.  It will be a challenge to fight the fear or "never good enough" voice of perfectionism, but I know it can be done.  I hope to impart optimism to my peers.  What helps you deal with stress?  

• By highvoltageeee2k3
      HI Folks,
      I am currently in the second year of my contract, i have a bachelors degree in engineering but thats from asia.
      I am an active duty army 68W medic currently working at an army hospital.
      Question i have is that, i was going through lots of PA schools everywhere they say that the degree should be from an university in USA.
      So is it not possible to get into any of the PA programs when i get out of military in couple of years without a bachelors  degree from america?
      What can i do to improve my chances to get into any of the PA programs?
      I checked these schools as a sample.
      University of Iowa
      University of Colorado
      To be honest i dont care about the location once i get out, but wanted to know whats the way forward ?
    • By PrePA1208
      I worked as a PRN rehab technician for about 3 months (roughly 20 hours a week) before I became Full-Time (40 hours a week).  How do I record this change in hours? Do I make two separate entries or average the hours per week?  My hours for PRN also varied each week, with weeks working up to 30 hours and sometimes only 15 hours. Do I need to record this somehow? I also do not understand how PA schools validate that the numbers of hours stated are honest. Is there some sort of validation document needed from each employer from past jobs.  Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More