SA Vs. PA

I'm just guessing (because I don't really know the scope of practice for an SA), but even if you really find yourself attracted to assisting in the OR, you might want to think about the chance that someday there might be another avenue down which you'd like to travel. Pursuing a PA degree allows this latitude where I'm assuming the SA doesn't. If you can ever see yourself doing something other than surgery, you would be better served to become a PA. As a PA you can do surgery. As an SA (again an assumption), you're not likely going to be practicing medicine...at least not in any other realm.

I know that in the Kaiser system here in Nor Cal, the nurses kicked up a stink about SAs in the hopes of making Kaiser hire RN first assists. Kaiser opted to hire PAs instead. That being said, the Kaiser that still had SAs utilized PAs as SAs and the PAs didn't seem to know the difference. It was kind of sad that the PAs were never asked to do much pre or post op care for the patients...as you can imagine, this job got very boring very quickly. And yet some of my fellow PAs there thought this was PA Nirvana. My opinion is that many surgeons have different ideas of what they want you to do. If you want to stay in the OR and never leave, be an SA. If you are interested in the medical side of surgery and/or doing something different, go become a PA.

• 3 months later...

Archived