I have 2 Bachelors in Sciences.

• Bioscience & Medical Lab Scientist (Dual Degree) - Cum Laude
  • Science Technology& Society (concentration in health and wellness) -  Cum Laude

My cGPA is 3.61 with a sGPA of 3.52.

My PCE hours are as a PT aide at a rehabilitation center and working as a MA at a clinic for a total of 1,275.  

I have 200 hours shadowing a PA in internal medicine. 

I have 250 hours volunteering at a place of worship, where I helped prepare and served food to the congregants. 

I have 4 recommendation letters

• PA that I shadowed
  • MD that i worked for 
  • A&P professor 
  • Molecular Biology professor 

I have received good feedback on my personal statement as well. 

I plan to submit by June 5th. 

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT MY CHANCES ARE!

I am freaking out!

The thing with PA school chances are it is VERY dependent on which schools you apply to. You need to do research on some top school choices and go to their webpages and find out what the stats of their most cohort were. This lets you know if your stats are in line with what they have accepted. Your GPAs will likely not be an issue at any school but some schools may want more PCE or letters from people that can attest to those clinical skills. GRE factors into some schools, but not others. The point here is that you need to research each school you wish to apply to and match your stats with their averages. If they are close, then you'd like have a good shot. 

Average.  

Every program is different and any answer you get here is pure speculation.  I could lie and tell you you're a shoe-in, but you aren't.  No one is.  They only way to find out your chances is apply and see what happens.

Guest ral
2 hours ago, MT2PA said:

Average.  

Every program is different and any answer you get here is pure speculation.  I could lie and tell you you're a shoe-in, but you aren't.  No one is.  They only way to find out your chances is apply and see what happens.

Agree.  Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason in the decision making.  I am a good example.  Spent some of my teenage years in juvie.  Ended up getting my GED in my mid-twenties.  Messed up and caught another ten months for a bag of heroin in my rectum, at the Canadian border.  Parents were able to get a special favor called in at a diploma mill down in the Caribbean.  Got a degree in hemp weaving and small engine repair.  Took a chance about a year later, filled out some Caspa forms and presto, I'm a PA.  

11 hours ago, ral said:

Agree.  Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason in the decision making.  I am a good example.  Spent some of my teenage years in juvie.  Ended up getting my GED in my mid-twenties.  Messed up and caught another ten months for a bag of heroin in my rectum, at the Canadian border.  Parents were able to get a special favor called in at a diploma mill down in the Caribbean.  Got a degree in hemp weaving and small engine repair.  Took a chance about a year later, filled out some Caspa forms and presto, I'm a PA.  

Haha what in the!?🤣

• Like 3

No one can say what your chances are. Just submit, take a deep breath and start practicing for interviews. Good luck!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By milery
      Hello,  my sgpa is 2.4 and I registered for organic chemistry 2 and phlebotomy part 1 next semester but I missed the FAFSA deadline so I would be paying for the class with a credit card. my new dilemma is this..  there's this technical school that offers phlebotomy for only a month and half at $2k but it doesn't count as credit which was the reason why I signed up for PHLEB at a CC(it can help my GPA). the current bill at CC with PHLEB and ORGO is around $2k but ill be missing part two of PHLEB which I can take during the summer but that's another cost since I was once told FAFSA is not offered for summer semester. so my question is should I either:
      #1 drop organic 2 and pay for phlebotomy in the spring and part 2 in the summer and take organic 2 next fall
      #2 pay for the technical school and take organic 2 next fall
      #3 pay for the technical school and organic 2 ( this route will cost me around $3 -$4k maybe)
       I will be trying to get into the LPN program spring 2021 and phlebotomy offers such amazing skills that I would love to have that under my belt for PA school. as for LPN, I work closely with LPNS so I would love to have that kind of health care experience as well ( I am CNA) but also great pay. my plan C is medical laboratory technician if I don't get accepted in the LPN program. unfortunately the BS degree in medical scientist requires a GPA of 3.0 that's why im aiming at the associate degree instead. why mlt? the job looks fun, great science classes = boost my science gpa and higher pay than what im doing right now CNA. I already have 3 years worth of HCE and I would have PHLEB as my other set of HCE.
      my goal in general is obtain awesome skills, be financially stable and boost my PA application. unfortunately because my GPA is so low my options are pretty limited at least in my area. 
      what im lacking in my application is my GPA. im not financially stable to take random hard core sciences without leading to a career, because what if im not competitive enough? then I could end up with no backup.
    • By Happyespy567
      HI! I am a current student looking to gain clinical experience as a medical scribe but am not sure where to start! I have tried to do my own research but every site I find seems to offer jobs once I am certified ( which I am not) . I want to make sure I take the correct steps and having someone I could come to with questions would be extremely helpful! thanks in advance ! 
    • By milery
      would it look bad if I do medical lab tech and lpn at the same time? even though I already have a BS degree with a gpa lower than 3.0? I still would like to have some experience working in the laboratory, for my own personal pleasure( I was pursuing path a for a while but I dropped that) but mlt is 2 years and im struggling financially that's why I thought of LPN. im a CNA so I work closely with LPNs so I get to see most of what they do everyday. basically both can help with my GPA, according to CASPA mlt and nursing counts as science GPA. mlt looks very interesting and fun but is 2 years and lpn im familiar with the field and is quicker. I guess in my head is when im done with lpn I can start working as im finishing up mlt and then work part time as a lpn and full time as a mlt. im not interested in an accelerated bsn because I don't want to take that spot away from someone that really wants it plus being a nurse is not my end goal. I want to be able to be financially stable and enjoying myself while im continuing to move forward with my pa application. I would be attending a community college in which will be cheaper.
    • By milery
      Hello, I graduated last year with a 2.6 GPA and my science GPA is 2.4. I have two D's, I am retaking one of those two D at a community college ( organic chemistry) the other D is in ecology in which I may not retake tbh because I didn't enjoyed the class. I registered for organic chemistry 2 to help my Sgpa but my dilemma is this.... my financial situation is starting to stress me out. I cant afford to take hard core science classes ( like I originally planned) in a degree that doesn't lead to a guaranteed career (biotechnology). so I thought of either medical laboratory technician or lpn.  I thought of these because #1 cheaper and faster option, #2 mlt has always sparked my interest and #3 I'm a cna ( almost 4 years) and I work closely with a lpn.  the lpn option I'm looking at is a certificate option because is only one year. my whole goal in this is to help my GPA and also have a career. I don't mind continuing to build my PA  application after this but I wanna make sure if doing any of these route will help me and not become a waste of time. 
      if you guys have any other suggestions please let me know. the biotechnology degree I can finish it in a year but what if after that I'm still not a strong applicant? then I'm stuck with another degree... no career 
      I don't care how long it takes to become a PA! I'm 24 years old and I already have a lot of financial baggage. I want to make a smart decision  
    • By magboo
      So I finally got a job at my dream hospital!! I am currently working there as a Patient Care Technician/ PCT. However, I will be leaving for PA school next year. I really want to return to this hospital and work as a PA! The problem is that getting a job at my hospital is super competitive. Is there a way for me to ensure/ increase my chances of getting a PA job in this facility in the future?

(Also, what do you guys think of requesting a absense of leave instead of quitting? Can I be able to come back to the hospital to pursue a higher position?)

Thanks in advance!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More