recomend some books

i'm getting ready to apply to a BS program. i have taken all of the pre-req and now i want to start studying what i'm going to be taught in a PA program. i want to get ahead or study now so i don't have to do as much later. do you recommend any books on those subjects like a pharm book that deals with pharmacodinamics, or a pathphysiology book that you covered most of in the program. any subject would be great. i have been searching for books but i don't like any from my library.

http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Pathophysiology-Made-Ridiculously-Simple/dp/0940780801

I got it at half priced books for like $5. Starting PA school in a month, I skimmed this in the past, but if I do read anything before (which I probably won't since I'm still doing undergrad for another week) this will be it. Also could review anatomy.

BUT your best advice is just to RELAX. As long as you worked hard in undergrad you have nothing to worry about (I hope).

I really think it's foolish to spend hundreds of dollars on texts that won't even be used by the PA program you eventually attend.

Any of those "... made ridiculously simple" books will make you feel better without breaking the bank. Obviously you have to learn anatomy, and since it's the easiest thing you'll do in PA school it's also the best to self-study. Mostly memorization.

i have heard from different places that all PA schools are taught the same. i think its some what true, much of the material must be taught because they have to because of there accreditation, and the rest is up to the school. is there a book that all PA programs use from cover to cover, i want that book. or is it just bits and peaces from a dozen books because it wouldn't be worth the trouble. why don't they make a text book just for the general PA that all school must use. i have a PA handbook, and a Pance review so far. but i want one or two more books that will be covered by any school.

Greenmood yes anatomy is in every school curriculum but other classes that are in every school are pharm, diagnostics and others. i don't want to spend hundreds but i am willing to spend about a hundred or so. what is a good anatomy book, or pharm or diagnostics, pathology.

is there a book that all PA programs use from cover to cover, i want that book.

Harrison's is the closest, I think. I've opened it 6 or 7 times this year when I've been really confused about something from class. It's a reference, not a textbook like you're thinking.

Plus, if you want to spend money it's definitely the way to go... ;)

I think books are going to vary from school to school. I spoke with some students at one of the PA programs I was targeting and asked the same question. They told me the two hardest classes were pharm and adult/ped medicine (so much info crammed in a short time) and recommended the following:

- Dubin EKG book

- CMDT Adult medicine - understand the layout

- Step up to medicine

- Clinical pharmacology made ridiculously simple*

I recommend that you speak to the students of your program and get their perspective and advice before spending money.

I'm with greenmood and Timon.

I'm not a PA student, yet (fingers crossed). But I have Netter's Anatomy Flashcards, and they're fantastic. Not sure if I'd have aced A&P without them.

I also worked as an EKG Tech for several years, and we kept Dubin's EKG book in the department. Good resource.

Thanks to master1379 for the thread, and to the others in this thread for their recommendations.

I'll definitely be picking up Step Up, and Clinical Pharm.

I say chill and read something more entertaining and thoroughly gripping in terms of setting scenes for what doctors experience and providing glimpses of healthcare truths: "Complications" by Atul Gawande. You won't be disappointed. Promise. He's a nationally respected medical writer and doctor featured in The New Yorker (his writing strongly influenced Congress' path toward the healthcare reform bill), among other places.

Dubin's book is good, but he is a filthy guy. If you to know why, Google him.

Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews series is good in both Pharmacology and Biochemistry.

http://www.amazon.com/Pharmacology-Lippincotts-Illustrated-Reviews-Series/dp/1451113145/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336229753&sr=1-1

For anatomy, Netter's Flashcards are good. Rohen's Flashcards are also good but out of print

http://www.amazon.com/Rohens-Photographic-Anatomy-Flash-Cards/dp/B00442ZQOA/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336229542&sr=1-2.

Most books in the Lange series (like CMDT) are pretty good. CMDT is almost like Clif notes for Harrison's/Cecil's

http://www.amazon.com/CURRENT-Medical-Diagnosis-Treatment-Fifty-First/dp/0071763724/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336229783&sr=1-1

For cardiac auscultation, Heart Sounds is good

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Sounds-Cardiac-Auscultation-Primer/dp/1452840059/ref=sr_1_sc_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336229862&sr=1-10-spell

For general study, Classroom to Clinic is excellent. You should note it is not really a review book - it is more of a workbook. If you follow along with the study plan throughout PA school, you will do very well

http://www.amazon.com/Classroom-Clinic-Study-System-Professor/dp/0803623534/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336229925&sr=1-1

Awesome thanks for the recommendations.

I have read Gawande's books (all 3) found them pretty interesting.

And for the EMT comment... I have by now 3 years of full time HCE as a PCT in every unit from ER to psych to ICU and everywhere in between. I'm going out of country in a week and then start PA school the first week of June. But thanks for the suggestion guy =p.

I think I am going to try to find the flashcards.

Wow, sorry. Guess I was confused since you stated you were just starting your BS. I thought you had to have a degree before attending PA school, and was simply suggesting you should finish the BS first, making sure you want to commit to another few years of school, guy.

Archived