2019-2020 Application Cycle

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 12:14 PM, Lorin said:

When I check the self service portal it says "Complete w/o final" with a date. Anyone know what this means?

I believe that means the application is complete on your end, but there is not a final decision made yet which won't happen until after your interview

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, sunnyday88 said:

Hi, I received an interview for September 27!

Does anybody know much about the school's new status following the Jefferson/Radford merge? Do any current students have any thoughts/opinions on this? I am slightly hesitant about the quality and organization of the new program. 

From everything I’ve read, it sounds like the program is going to be exactly the same as before, the name of the university is just changing. I’m not super in the loop though, someone else might know better than me what the merge entails. 🙂

11 hours ago, sunnyday88 said:

Does anybody know much about the school's new status following the Jefferson/Radford merge? Do any current students have any thoughts/opinions on this? I am slightly hesitant about the quality and organization of the new program. 

Hello! I am not even sure I am the best person to answer, but I happened to come across this. I am starting next month at what is now officially Radford University. The merger went official just last week. There have been a few interesting things with starting school this year with the merger, for example, we received 2 financial aid award letters, one for each school (mine were almost the exact same). There are some things with going from a private school to now a public program. However, we have been told that tuition will NOT be changing for some number of years, which previously with Jefferson there was increases. All these details will be ironed out by next year. What is exciting, and something I was worried about, is that the affiliation with Carilion Medical Center is not changing, so all the established rotations and clinicals will not change, we will just be wearing different names on our lab coats. 🙂

I am happy to chat more about this if anyone has more questions, otherwise I am sure they will covering any other differences when you interview/give opportunities to ask more questions about! 

Good luck, excited to see some of you on campus! 

18 hours ago, sunnyday88 said:

Hi there! I'm a current student, about to finish my first year next week! 

Congrats on your interview! Here's some personal insight into the merger. We are no longer Jefferson, but now more or less a satellite campus of Radford, and our new name is "Radford University Carilion (RUC)" for our location. I wouldn't call it a "new" program, because nothing is really changing in our established program besides the name. Location, faculty, classes, rotations/clinicals, accreditation, etc are not being altered.

Yes, there have been a few minor bumps in the merger, and probably will be a couple more as they iron out everything, but our program director is amazing and is working extremely hard to make sure everything is going as smoothly as possible. Since we are basically a private program that got absorbed into a public university, the tuition is essentially just staying put right now (no difference on in state/out of state, at present). The financial aid numbers/application process got a little wonky for current students with the merger because both schools did financial aid differently, but they are working on getting it corrected/teaching us the new system. Any other issues were basically just some delay in getting our Radford accounts set up, but that's been fixed. I'm not aware of any major issues, and I really do think our program has been pretty transparent about everything. I trust our faculty, so I'm not really worried about much.

As always, anyone is free to contact me! I'm helping out with some of the interviews in September, so I might get to meet some of you guys! I'm also a student mentor for the incoming class, so if any members of the class of 2021 are lurking, I'll be meeting you soon too!

• 2 weeks later...

I think they're doing a couple interview days in September,  November, and January. This is just based on what they offered me-- they only had Sept 27 slots left, and the next available were in November. I don't think the later date will significantly impact your chances. 

• Like 1

I just received a letter in the mail today saying that they received my applicaion and will begin reviewing applications in November and interviewing in late fall. Has anybody else received a letter of this sort? I'm a bit confused since people have said they have already been contacted for interviews as early as September.

55 minutes ago, agwebster said:

I just received a letter in the mail today saying that they received my applicaion and will begin reviewing applications in November and interviewing in late fall. Has anybody else received a letter of this sort? I'm a bit confused since people have said they have already been contacted for interviews as early as September.

I received the same letter a few weeks ago, but haven’t heard anything else. Although it doesn’t say on their website, they are probably rolling. Another program I interviewed at started their interviews way ahead of the deadline 😕

• Like 1

12 hours ago, emh2012 said:

I received the same letter a few weeks ago, but haven’t heard anything else. Although it doesn’t say on their website, they are probably rolling. Another program I interviewed at started their interviews way ahead of the deadline 😕

I have gotten the same letter in the mail a few weeks ago as well, but have not heard anything else either and I got a little worried where people are already getting interviews and their applications got verified around the same time as mine. The ones that got an interview, would you all mind sharing your stats?