Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

with all do respect, this feels super harsh and although it's an unfortunate situation, bad mouthing an entire institution on the internet probably isn't the best way to go about it. if that's how you

You can login into the portal without having been granted access yet. When I did this, it told me info about my application such as it is complete and under review. the website is: https://portal.mcph

Congrats to everyone who was just accepted! We have a facebook group specifically for our class if you'd like to join! It's "MCPHS-Boston Physician Assistant Program Class of 2023." Looking forward to

Posted Images

Received an email today saying I was on the interview wait list. I was on at 9:30 refreshing until spots came up on Tuesday, took 30 seconds to put in my info and didn't get a spot. Anyone know how many people are on this list and if there's even a chance of getting an interview? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a little confused regarding the admissions decision process. At the interview  on 11/6, they said that decisions would be notified on Dec 2 (it even says it on the info sheet inside the folder they gave). However, the email we received says acceptances will sent via postal mail and waitlists through email on a "rolling basis". 

From prior years, admissions decisions were posted on the portal beginning of December. Anyone have any insight into what will actually happen? Seems like we were told 2 different things, not sure if I missed something? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rfo1234 said:

I'm a little confused regarding the admissions decision process. At the interview  on 11/6, they said that decisions would be notified on Dec 2 (it even says it on the info sheet inside the folder they gave). However, the email we received says acceptances will sent via postal mail and waitlists through email on a "rolling basis". 

From prior years, admissions decisions were posted on the portal beginning of December. Anyone have any insight into what will actually happen? Seems like we were told 2 different things, not sure if I missed something? 

From previous years forum posts, they start mailing decisions out on Dec 2 and releasing rejections and wait list status also after that on a rolling basis. As for your 11/06 interview, what was the day structure? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SecondTime said:

From previous years forum posts, they start mailing decisions out on Dec 2 and releasing rejections and wait list status also after that on a rolling basis. As for your 11/06 interview, what was the day structure? 

Interesting, from a few posts on previous forums that I read it seemed to me like people were also notified of an acceptance through the portal and later received the acceptance in the mail. Seems a little risky to notify applicants of an acceptance via mail only. 

Each person receives a different schedule and you go to your assignment as they direct you. Nothing crazy, the order in which you do things may differ from other applicants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, rfo1234 said:

Interesting, from a few posts on previous forums that I read it seemed to me like people were also notified of an acceptance through the portal and later received the acceptance in the mail. Seems a little risky to notify applicants of an acceptance via mail only. 

Each person receives a different schedule and you go to your assignment as they direct you. Nothing crazy, the order in which you do things may differ from other applicants. 

That’s pretty efficient. How was the actual interview part of the day? Also, around what time were you finished. Just trying to plan my drive back home. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning everyone, my son was just admitted to the 3+3 physician assistant pathway program as a high school senior. My concern is that they may accept many students into this program and only advance a few. I recognize that a requisite GPA and clinical hours are required. Does anybody have any specific numbers about what percentage of matriculated freshman students actually end up in the professional phase?? Thanks and good luck.!

Edited by Marcus4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Marcus4 said:

Good morning everyone, my son was just admitted to the 3+3 physician assistant pathway program as a high school senior. My concern is that they may accept many students into this program and only advance a few. I recognize that a requisite GPA and clinical hours are required. Does anybody have any specific numbers about what percentage of matriculated freshman students actually end up in the professional phase?? Thanks and good luck.!

Hi there! Internal student here currently in the 3+3 program. Our Internal Coordinator Jordan Hunt says that the statistics show that about 70% of those internal students that are offered an interview are accepted into the PA program. She's probably the best person to talk to with any questions. (That number may have changed this year. We had more internal applicants than last year.) Having gone through the program myself, it shouldn't be a huge issue. I was concerned of this too when I was doing research into their program. As long as he meets the requirements and does a fairly good job during the interview, he'll be fine! They started making the clinical hours a requirements, however, you're unlikely to get in without some kind of health care experience anyway.

My advice, aside from having at least a 3.2 GPA as required by the program, is to have your son get some certification or job experience ASAP. Whether that be as an EMT-B, CNA, MA, etc. Work per diem if possible, but he can definitely gain a bunch of clinical hours during the summer (which a lot of students here do).

The Pre-PA students arguably have one of the roughest first three-year curricula. There's a lot of pressure to get clinical experience while doing well in school. But we all go through it and there's a lot of social support here. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much. Do you know if he can start to accumulate clinical hours that will count towards the requirement before he matriculates? Also, the 30% of students that do not make it in, do you know why? I mean to get the interview they have to have the 3.2 and the 250 hours of clinical. Thanks again!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Marcus4 said:

Thanks so much. Do you know if he can start to accumulate clinical hours that will count towards the requirement before he matriculates? Also, the 30% of students that do not make it in, do you know why? I mean to get the interview they have to have the 3.2 and the 250 hours of clinical. Thanks again!

They will only count hours that have accumulated after high school graduation. I believe that is a CASPA rule. The experience, however, makes for great personal experience. It just won't count for any hours. So the answer is yes - Anything is fair game post high school graduation.

There are a lot of factors that go into it but from what I heard it's usually because they either 1. Gave really bad answers during the interview 2. Lower end of the accepted GPA scale 3. The quality of the clinical hours earned were bad. 4. Bad personal statement. 5. Bad letters of recommendation. It's a combination of the above, and not necessarily just one thing.

And just to clarify, there have to have a minimum of both a science and an overall GPA of 3.2. Minimum of 250 clinical hours. And ALSO MUST pass the summer classes PAS 402 + PAS 403 (two mandatory online classes taken during the summer post 1st year and the summer post 2nd year that does not cost anything) Those two classes are very easy to pass and is completely online. The hardest part of PAS 403 is finding PAs to shadow for a total of at least 40 hours. In the Boston area, finding any PA to shadow without a personal connection is near impossible. If he can find it elsewhere, it would be better off that way!

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ARMANDO411468 said:

Has anyone who is not an internal applicant heard back yet? I am constantly checking the portal like a crazy person!

they always interview (most) of their internal candidates before everyone else (the november 6th interview date was actually NOT the first interview) and they also let their internal candidates know of an acceptance before everyone else.

I would expect to hear back on December 2nd according to what was said on the day of the interview and it was also written on one of the sheets of paper. However, according to the email we received post-interview acceptances are by mail and on a "rolling basis" and waitlists are on the portal. We've been told 2 different things sooooo who knows with this program how we will get notified because they're extremely disorganized lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jorgjinikopulli said:

I have been checking as well, I am assuming that we will be hearing back online on the portal on December 2nd. 

 

On 11/25/2019 at 9:55 AM, rfo1234 said:

they always interview (most) of their internal candidates before everyone else (the november 6th interview date was actually NOT the first interview) and they also let their internal candidates know of an acceptance before everyone else.

I would expect to hear back on December 2nd according to what was said on the day of the interview and it was also written on one of the sheets of paper. However, according to the email we received post-interview acceptances are by mail and on a "rolling basis" and waitlists are on the portal. We've been told 2 different things sooooo who knows with this program how we will get notified because they're extremely disorganized lol 

thanks guys! hope that we all hear back soon!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2019 at 8:14 AM, Marcus4 said:

Thanks so much. Do you know if he can start to accumulate clinical hours that will count towards the requirement before he matriculates? Also, the 30% of students that do not make it in, do you know why? I mean to get the interview they have to have the 3.2 and the 250 hours of clinical. Thanks again!

I am pretty sure all hours for CASPA have to be after high school graduation. I was part of the 3+3 and did not get accepted last year after the interview so I am doing my 4th year of undergrad. I applied again this year though and got in. I was not really told much about why I did not get in I talked to Jordan she could not give me much information unfortunately besides really general things. You can PM me if you have other questions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More