To everyone who has been wondering because it has been asked a few times. The internal students found out via portal first (word of mouth spread and everyone found out it was updated). Later that night (so sometime later today) we all got the email saying that there was a change to the status of our application and to check the portal.

Also, it took a business day for the deposit to go through for me. I got an email stating that I deposited the $750 and it even charged my card but it did not update on the portal. Whether the deposit is post-marked in their system (I'm sure it is), I would keep that in mind. After it was registered through their system, my portal now reads: "You are officially part of the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (MCPHS) community. As a deposited student, there are important next steps to take before you join us on campus. Be sure to visit www.mcphs.edu/accepted for updates, announcements, videos, and more."

If you do not have that statement and still see the blue box for the deposit, then I don't think it has registered on their end yet.

Just something to keep in mind. I'm sure you can always contact the Admissions department with any questions and concerns.

• Like 1

Got waitlisted but never got an email, just got an email now (6:00pm) saying to log on to the portal for an admissions decision update, but it still says waitlist. Did this happen to anybody else? I’m thinking I was supposed to get that email earlier today and didn’t get it until now but unsure!!

2 hours ago, Nick17 said:

Got waitlisted but never got an email, just got an email now (6:00pm) saying to log on to the portal for an admissions decision update, but it still says waitlist. Did this happen to anybody else? I’m thinking I was supposed to get that email earlier today and didn’t get it until now but unsure!!

Same for me! I thought something changed but nope 😞

Did anyone else reconsider attending this program after the interview? I ended up getting waitlisted (I'm not bitter about it, I got into another program anyways) but I was kind of thrown off even from the initial interview sign-up process until the interview day. The program says that we should expect an email and we never receive them and it seems like we’re told different things. I never got an email regarding the admission decision and I never got an email to sign up for the interview. Luckily, I got a spot but there seems to be a pattern with them saying something but not doing it. Looking back, they didn’t once mention cost of attendance. All the other programs I’ve attended gave some sort of financial aid presentation or provided a power point slide regarding the cost. I know this program is out of the norm expensive which could be a reason why they didn’t mention it in their interview day. Although, that seems really sketchy to me on their end since I’ve also heard of students only knowing the true cost once they got the bill. I also  really don’t know how they select candidates for admission. The questions I got asked were extremely surface level and none that were really getting to know me. The alumni that I interviewed with didn’t seem to want to be there and the other person asked me if I was an internal candidate (which I wasn’t). Personally, that came off to me as though he didn’t review my application or would’ve given me more consideration if I was an internal candidate. I was also very thrown off by one of the faculty members giving a presentation showed extreme concern for their upcoming accreditation review in 2022. She spoke very negatively about it and also came off as though she was worried. Knowing that their other campus was put on probation made me think that this may also happen to the Boston campus. I’m aware that it shouldn’t affect current students because probation is still a form of accreditation, however, I do believe that accreditation tiers are there for a reason and shouldn’t be overlooked.

I was really caught off guard with the internal candidates to be completely honest. I knew that they reserve seats for their 3+3 program but the students that I met were really really lacking maturity, experience and general knowledge of patient care and life. I’m not trying to be offensive but having met those candidates in person (who are in their junior year of college btw) really put it into perspective how much they lack real-world experience. It also made me think how hard it would be to be in class and work along the young internal candidates. To think that someone may have been accepted with 200 or so hours compared to someone like myself and many others that had over 2000 PCE and over 1000 HCE is bothersome. Not sure what their selection process it but I can garuntee that they miss out on awesome students and future PAs by 1: their interview sign up system and 2: Reserving spots for 19,20 year olds with no work or real life quality experience.

Am I crazy or did anyone else get this vibe on the day of the interview? Just an FYI I’m from Boston, so I wasn’t all giddy and excited about being in this city and doing rotations here as someone that may come from a different part of the country and may have overlooked the other parts of the program.

* Disclaimer: I'm not lashing out on the internal candidates or trying to make the programs look bad. I was just curious if I'm the only one that observed those things or not. 

Edited by rfo1234
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rfo1234 said:

Did anyone else reconsider attending this program after the interview? I ended up getting waitlisted (I'm not bitter about it, I got into another program anyways) but I was kind of thrown off even from the initial interview sign-up process until the interview day. The program says that we should expect an email and we never receive them and it seems like we’re told different things. I never got an email regarding the admission decision and I never got an email to sign up for the interview. Luckily, I got a spot but there seems to be a pattern with them saying something but not doing it. Looking back, they didn’t once mention cost of attendance. All the other programs I’ve attended gave some sort of financial aid presentation or provided a power point slide regarding the cost. I know this program is out of the norm expensive which could be a reason why they didn’t mention it in their interview day. Although, that seems really sketchy to me on their end since I’ve also heard of students only knowing the true cost once they got the bill. I also  really don’t know how they select candidates for admission. The questions I got asked were extremely surface level and none that were really getting to know me. The alumni that I interviewed with didn’t seem to want to be there and the other person asked me if I was an internal candidate (which I wasn’t). Personally, that came off to me as though he didn’t review my application or would’ve given me more consideration if I was an internal candidate. I was also very thrown off by one of the faculty members giving a presentation showed extreme concern for their upcoming accreditation review in 2022. She spoke very negatively about it and also came off as though she was worried. Knowing that their other campus was put on probation made me think that this may also happen to the Boston campus. I’m aware that it shouldn’t affect current students because probation is still a form of accreditation, however, I do believe that accreditation tiers are there for a reason and shouldn’t be overlooked.

I was really caught off guard with the internal candidates to be completely honest. I knew that they reserve seats for their 3+3 program but the students that I met were really really lacking maturity, experience and general knowledge of patient care and life. I’m not trying to be offensive but having met those candidates in person (who are in their junior year of college btw) really put it into perspective how much they lack real-world experience. It also made me think how hard it would be to be in class and work along the young internal candidates. To think that someone may have been accepted with 200 or so hours compared to someone like myself and many others that had over 2000 PCE and over 1000 HCE is bothersome. Not sure what their selection process it but I can garuntee that they miss out on awesome students and future PAs by 1: their interview sign up system and 2: Reserving spots for 19,20 year olds with no work or real life quality experience.

Am I crazy or did anyone else get this vibe on the day of the interview? Just an FYI I’m from Boston, so I wasn’t all giddy and excited about being in this city and doing rotations here as someone that may come from a different part of the country and may have overlooked the other parts of the program.

* Disclaimer: I'm not lashing out on the internal candidates or trying to make the programs look bad. I was just curious if I'm the only one that observed those things or not. 

I totally felt the same way when I interviewed! I was really excited for the program as I live In MA and that was 1 of the 2 schools I applied to in MA and wanted to stay close to home. But I got a vibe like you’re privileged to be going there and that they don’t really care all that much about their students. The price is ridiculous and I didn’t like how they told us that for clinicals they “try to keep it in New England but can’t always do that”. I find it crazy that they would send someone 6 hours away for a clinical when it wasn’t requested. Most schools say they try to keep you within an hour of where you live. I also feel like 100 students is too many for a PA program. I was pretty bummed I ended up disliking the program since I wanted to originally stay close to home. I got accepted but I’m going to be attending a school in philly which I thought was much better.

1 hour ago, Sarahf1234 said:

I totally felt the same way when I interviewed! I was really excited for the program as I live In MA and that was 1 of the 2 schools I applied to in MA and wanted to stay close to home. But I got a vibe like you’re privileged to be going there and that they don’t really care all that much about their students. The price is ridiculous and I didn’t like how they told us that for clinicals they “try to keep it in New England but can’t always do that”. I find it crazy that they would send someone 6 hours away for a clinical when it wasn’t requested. Most schools say they try to keep you within an hour of where you live. I also feel like 100 students is too many for a PA program. I was pretty bummed I ended up disliking the program since I wanted to originally stay close to home. I got accepted but I’m going to be attending a school in philly which I thought was much better.

I was also excited prior to the interview because I would be able to stay local and also attend a program that is strongly affiliated with a hospital that I work for. However, I was really underwhelmed. The tour was also a downer. I know MCPHS is that one building with their undergrad dorms being there too, however, I wasn’t a fan of the little room that looks like a basement for the PA students. Did you notice that? I can’t imagine that there would be 100 of us in there at the same time for skills lab or something. Also, it seemed like the PA program isn’t something the school is proud of (compared to their pharmacy program) so it felt like they offer it for the money and the students end up getting a sub-par education for the high cost. Glad to know that I wasn't the only one that wasn't impressed with the program overall. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, melaniechews said:

Got a response! Wish there was a more definite answer though 😐

It depends, it is not that clear cut unfortunately. It is very fluid. It could be after a seat is declined or after the next interview date.

Got the same response as well i also emailed them. Have you applied to other schools? Was mcp your first choice ? 

13 hours ago, rfo1234 said:

Taking your "disclaimer" into consideration (which tbh sounded a lot like when someone says "No offense, but [I'm about to offend you but because I inserted this disclaimer you shouldn't be offended.]")...

You made a generalization about a lot of the internal candidates. In this school, they're 3rd-years - not "juniors." Some people like myself actually have a lot of life experience. I'm older than most of the cohorts and I also already had a master's degree, research experience, leadership, HCE, and PCE than most of the students. Why do I mention that? Because your post came off as very elitist and ageist. Sure, life experience would be great and I even complain about it sometimes at the school but if you feel uncomfortable working alongside someone who happens to be younger than you or older than you, why would that matter? Education-wise, you're all in the same boat. If your supervisor is younger than you and less experienced than you, do you crap on them just because of their age and experience? They're still your supervisor regardless. How do you think older applicants (say, > 50 years old) feel about being surrounded by a bunch of people half their age? There are even noble peace prize winners younger than the average candidate.

Also, they don't "reserve" any seats. That was made very clear to all of the internal students. You still had to meet their criteria (which I understand that's part of your post in terms of what is it that they're looking exactly?). That means just because say 30 internal students interviews, they could still accept zero of those internal students. They do, however, put a larger consideration if you're an internal student. That's not a secret. See here: https://www.mcphs.edu/academics/school-of-physician-assistant-studies/physician-assistant/physician-assistant-studies-mpas under Admission Requirements, last paragraph "Please note: MCPHS University gives priority interview consideration to students currently in our Premedical and Health Studies Pathway Program."

tl;dr My point is you're applying to a program that has an internal pathway into the program. Most of those students maybe won't have the same life experience or work experience as you PCE/HCE-wise, but education-wise will be relatively on the same level. The same argument you're making could be made for anyone who has 3x the amount of life experience (which is subjective, btw) and PCE than you. If you don't like it, then just don't go to the program? There are plenty of other candidates who would rather be in your seat should you be accepted.

Either way, it's a battle to get into any program so I still wish you luck on your PA journey.

Edited by NinjuhhKen

On 12/5/2019 at 9:40 PM, NinjuhhKen said:

Taking your "disclaimer" into consideration (which tbh sounded a lot like when someone says "No offense, but [I'm about to offend you but because I inserted this disclaimer you shouldn't be offended.]")...

You made a generalization about a lot of the internal candidates. In this school, they're 3rd-years - not "juniors." Some people like myself actually have a lot of life experience. I'm older than most of the cohorts and I also already had a master's degree, research experience, leadership, HCE, and PCE than most of the students. Why do I mention that? Because your post came off as very elitist and ageist. Sure, life experience would be great and I even complain about it sometimes at the school but if you feel uncomfortable working alongside someone who happens to be younger than you or older than you, why would that matter? Education-wise, you're all in the same boat. If your supervisor is younger than you and less experienced than you, do you crap on them just because of their age and experience? They're still your supervisor regardless. How do you think older applicants (say, > 50 years old) feel about being surrounded by a bunch of people half their age? There are even noble peace prize winners younger than the average candidate.

Also, they don't "reserve" any seats. That was made very clear to all of the internal students. You still had to meet their criteria (which I understand that's part of your post in terms of what is it that they're looking exactly?). That means just because say 30 internal students interviews, they could still accept zero of those internal students. They do, however, put a larger consideration if you're an internal student. That's not a secret. See here: https://www.mcphs.edu/academics/school-of-physician-assistant-studies/physician-assistant/physician-assistant-studies-mpas under Admission Requirements, last paragraph "Please note: MCPHS University gives priority interview consideration to students currently in our Premedical and Health Studies Pathway Program."

tl;dr My point is you're applying to a program that has an internal pathway into the program. Most of those students maybe won't have the same life experience or work experience as you PCE/HCE-wise, but education-wise will be relatively on the same level. The same argument you're making could be made for anyone who has 3x the amount of life experience (which is subjective, btw) and PCE than you. If you don't like it, then just don't go to the program? There are plenty of other candidates who would rather be in your seat should you be accepted.

Either way, it's a battle to get into any program so I still wish you luck on your PA journey.

I don’t think I came off sounding offensive but if that’s how you interpreted it then my apologies. I was stating that the internal candidates that I met and having talked to them on the interview day really did not portray themselves as mature and what they spoke on behalf of their PCE it appeared to be extremely minimal. I say this based off of my experience during my time there. I understand that your defending your undergrad institution and that it’s your alma mater and how dare someone tell you that their program isn’t impressive. I’m also not saying that every single internal candidate is the same as the ones that I came across. I’m sure there are a few that are perfectly qualified and I’m not questioning that. I may have misunderstood but how are 3rd years in college not juniors? I understand that they may take additional courses during their three years which ultimately may mean that they are “senior” according to credits but for the most part: 1st year, freshman. 2nd year: sophomore and 3rd year: Junior, 4th year: senior. The internal students that I spoke with called themselves a junior so that’s what I’ll call them. 

Regarding your comment on having a younger supervisor is not applicable in this scenario. I strongly believe that many people like myself aren’t a fan of 3+3 programs for this exact reason. Applicants are too young, unexperienced and being tied down to a specific profession at the age of 18 is a little crazy. Speak to any practicing PA and hear what they say. I’ve spoken to many that are actual preceptors for MCPHS PA students and they aren’t impressed, sorry to break it to you.

That’s quite naïve of you to believe that they don’t reserve spots for internal candidates. Of course they do. How bad would it look on them if they’re offering a 3+3 and 0 students are admitted into the PA program. I’m sure their admittance rate for the 3+3 would plummet if incoming undergrads knew that no students were admitted. Let’s be real here.

Like I said, I applied there due to location and hospital-affiliations that the program has. I think every external candidate that went through the interview sign-up process realized how unfair that process was. Additionally, the lack of organization regarding emails being sent out is in fact a reflection of their program whether you like it or not.

Also, justifying that their internal candidates still have to get a minimum GPA of 3.2 and 250 PCE to qualify for an interview is setting really low standards. Getting into PA schools is challenging and the number of applicants admitted in the first try with a 3.2 and 250PCE is low, possible but low.  It’s saying “We aren’t guaranteed an interview because we have to get a minimum of a 3.2 and 250 hours and take such and such course so it’s not certain” Well, honestly, how hard is it to maintain a 3.2 if your serious about your studies and be a CNA for 1 month over your summer break? Oh and btw, the school actually helps internal candidates by holding mock interviews with them. If that isn’t an advantage then I don’t know what is.

I also want to be very clear here that although already being admitted to another program, I am still hoping to get admitted here so I can have options as the other program requires relocation. If admitted and I do decide to attend, the things that I mentioned will still bother me throughout my time there.

Best of luck to you on your PA endeavors! 

Edited by rfo1234
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2019 at 8:00 PM, paforlife26 said:

Does anyone know of people who were waitlisted as a decision, but have had a success of being accepted to the program later on for MCPHS - Boston? 

When I got wait-listed last year from their 3+3 program I was super nervous and talked to a lot of people from the years above me who had friends wait-listed after their interview 3rd year. They all said that a lot of them who were waitlisted got a call in August and got off the waitlist. It did not happen personally for me which is why I applied (and got in) this year. But from what they have said it is possible.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 1:42 AM, Amandaclemy said:

Yes, many people get off the waitlist! Don't lose hope! 

On 12/8/2019 at 11:36 AM, JNG1998 said:

When I got wait-listed last year from their 3+3 program I was super nervous and talked to a lot of people from the years above me who had friends wait-listed after their interview 3rd year. They all said that a lot of them who were waitlisted got a call in August and got off the waitlist. It did not happen personally for me which is why I applied (and got in) this year. But from what they have said it is possible.

Thank you guys for the information! I guess I still have some hope, but cannot certainly rely on it! 

I was put on the waitlist for this program, and when I called to ask about my position on the list, I spoke to an advisor who said to me "that's your position, you're on the waitlist." Anyways, she eventually told me that there are still 2 more interview dates in the Spring, and if after those interview dates the class is still not full, that's when they get to the waitlist. She said some years this happens, other years it doesn't! Just repeating what I was told 🙂 Best of luck to all of ya!