New Grad Emergency Medicine Offer

California

130 hours/month

$55/hr base rate with raises at 6, 12, and 24 months. They said at two years it would be around $62/hr

10 hour shifts, hours after 8 are paid at 1.5 time. With overtime, hourly rate comes out to be $60.50/hr

401k matches $1.20 for each $1 up to 6%

CME: $1500. No mention of time off for CME

PTO about 12 shifts per year with additional sick time

Malpractice is covered

Flexible options for medical/dental/vision 

Training: 2 months as an extra person on the shift, online didactic for the first few months

Mostly fast track with some opportunities for shifts in the main ED. 3 hours each shift are spent in triage

2.5 to 3 patients per hour

Thoughts?

Edited by luigi
Format
  • Like 1

Don't know about the COL in CA, but that's the hourly rate I started at in SW Ohio, low to moderate COL, 5 years ago.  Normal 401k match is $0.50 per $, so if they're putting in more than you, that's very good.  CME is low, most EM companies do $2,500.  Fast track only is very limiting.  2.5-3 pt/hour is very fast for a new person and overall can be brutal, because not everything that shows up in fast track is ESI 4 & 5.

Bonus structure? That offer is similar to the one i had as a new grad in Iowa last year. $54/hour with shift diff and RVU bonus potential. I would ask them to specify the training process. Are you going to be presenting patients for first 2 months? Following around at first? Thats the most important part as a new grad.