2019-2020 application cycle

Hi all, I was initially waitlisted for an interview, then offered an interview today. They offered two days of interviews on 11/16 and 11/23 with morning and afternoon sessions on each day. I requested the afternoon session on the 23rd. I will be flying in from San Diego (still waiting on final confirmation before booking flights.) I was wondering if anyone interviewing would like to meet up before or after, as I will likely be in town for a few days. 

On 10/21/2019 at 8:06 PM, Hockeylover21 said:

I got an interview invite as well!! This is my first one. If anyone has advice or tips for the interview process--please post! Also, does anyone know how many applicants got offered an interview?

Last year, I was told that typically they interview around 120 applicants. Can't say for sure this year though.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:13 PM, KyleT said:

Hi all, I was initially waitlisted for an interview, then offered an interview today. They offered two days of interviews on 11/16 and 11/23 with morning and afternoon sessions on each day. I requested the afternoon session on the 23rd. I will be flying in from San Diego (still waiting on final confirmation before booking flights.) I was wondering if anyone interviewing would like to meet up before or after, as I will likely be in town for a few days. 

Hi Kyle,

I am also interviewing on the 23rd in the afternoon and would love to meet up. 

See you soon!

Kadin

Hey everyone! I have an interview on 11/16. Looking forward to meeting everyone. I had an interview with MEDEX in Spokane, WA earlier this month and was a whole day ordeal and very intensive. This one seems a bit more relaxed 🙂 my advice is to just be yourself!! If you’re being interviewed you’re definitely qualified to have a seat. I’m learning that this profession is extremely competitive and it’s difficult to get a seat your first year applying so don’t give up if this is your passion! I know that they will be interviewing a lot of people and that they offer 20 seats to in state applicants and approximately 5 seats for out of staters! Good luck to all and hope to meet some of you soon!

Hi everyone! 
Is anyone flying into Sioux Falls or Omaha for your interview on the 23rd?
I would love to carpool to Vermillion with some future classmates!

I am from Omaha and will be traveling to my interview on the 23rd! I will be just going there and back that day. You’re welcome to carpool with me if you don’t mind all the driving!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, SDPA1523 said:

Hi all!! I got my acceptance Email today! 🙂 Very excited to start and meet everyone!! Still hasn’t set in yet!!

12 hours ago, Hockeylover21 said:

I got my acceptance email today as well! I am on cloud 9!!! I can't wait to meet everyone and begin my dream of becoming a PA.

Congratulations! Are y’all in state, or out of state? And what day did you interview? 

12 hours ago, Hockeylover21 said:

I got my acceptance email today as well! I am on cloud 9!!! I can't wait to meet everyone and begin my dream of becoming a PA.

I got mine yesterday as well! Can't believe it's actually happening, so excited for what is to come! I personally am from South Dakota and interviewed on the 16th! 

• Upvote 1

I was offered an alternate spot by email today... it is not the news I was hoping for, but considering they are only accepting 5 out of state applicants, this is a better result than I was expecting...  

1) Does anyone know how many alternate spots are being offered?

2) those that were accepted would you tell me of the timeline they are requesting a deposit? 

3) if you plan to turn down your offer, could you please post that information in this forum? It would be much appreciated!

congrats to all accepted, hopefully I’ll join you soon! 

On 12/5/2019 at 2:57 PM, KyleT said:

I was offered an alternate spot by email today... it is not the news I was hoping for, but considering they are only accepting 5 out of state applicants, this is a better result than I was expecting...  

2) those that were accepted would you tell me of the timeline they are requesting a deposit? 

3) if you plan to turn down your offer, could you please post that information in this forum? It would be much appreciated!

I am not from South Dakota and was offered a spot. I interviewed on the 16th at the 8 am session. Our deposit is due within the next few weeks. I'm unsure of how many alternate spots there are, but you can call them and they typically tell you what number you are on the waiting list. Hope this helps! 

Edited by Hockeylover21

On 12/4/2019 at 7:01 PM, Hockeylover21 said:

Congratulation! Do you mind sharing your patient care hours (as well as what you did for patient care hours), gpa, and volunteer experience? How did you guys prep for the writing portion? Could you also share what you thought made you stand out at the interview or any advise for the interview?

On 12/5/2019 at 12:57 PM, KyleT said:

Sorry you did not get the news you wanted but congrats on still being in the running! Do you mind sharing your patient care hours (as well as what you did for patient care hours), gpa, and volunteer experience? How did you guys prep for the writing portion? Could you also share what you thought made you stand out at the interview or any advise for the interview?

On 12/4/2019 at 3:48 PM, SDPA1523 said:

Hi all!! I got my acceptance Email today! 🙂 Very excited to start and meet everyone!! Still hasn’t set in yet!!

Congratulation! Do you mind sharing your patient care hours (as well as what you did for patient care hours), gpa, and volunteer experience? How did you guys prep for the writing portion? Could you also share what you thought made you stand out at the interview or any advise for the interview?

On 10/25/2019 at 8:29 PM, SDakotaPAgirl said:

Rejection letter via email today. Best wishes to everyone with interviews! 

Hey girl sorry about the news! I’m in the same boat. If I read correctly was this your second year applying? If so it was mine as well. If you don’t mind me asking did you apply to other schools (I thought I saw you in a UND forum)? If you don’t mind sharing which ones did you apply to and could you share your patient care hours, gpa, and volunteer. I have applied both years to UND (haven’t been invited for an interview) and got interviews both years at USD. If you have any questions for me I’d be happy to share my experiences. 

On 12/7/2019 at 11:20 AM, nicholet9 said:

My overall gpa was 3.75, with my science gpa 3.6. I had 400 hours of volunteer experience, over 2,000 hours of patient care, and about 60 hours of shadowing. My patient care involved 1,500 hours of being a CNA and over 500 hours being a patient-care tech. Up until my interview I had 500 hours as a research assistant. 

All I did to prepare for the writing portion of the interview was print off the article and break it down with highlighting the main points and facts. I created a summary of the article, along with the pros and cons. I did a mock interview with the PA Platform before my interview at USD along with reading the PA Interview Guide by Savannah Perry. Each interview can be different and depends on your interviewers. I focused on making mine relaxed, yet professional and more conversational. Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1