Primary care offer

I just got my first job offer! This is for a FQHC located in northwestern CT

The offer was made verbally, over the phone. The HR director said they dont send an offer letter until you accept the offer, which makes 0 sense to me. Is that typical? She also said I have only 3 days to make my choice. I asked to see a summary of the benefits and she said she would email me one, but she hasn't yet.

The verbal offer was for 98,000 a year 

27 days PTO, 9 holidays 3 personal days

5 days 1000$ CME

Rotating call, no additional reimbursement 

Liscense/DEA etc reimbursement 

I will be expected to rotate between offices around the city, and also provide care on their mobile van and in homeless shelters etc, often on short notice. 

This would be a good site because my husband could keep his job.

What do you think?

The city is Hartford CT. 16-18 patients per day on average. They have had new grads before, and more will be starting at the same time I do. From what I gather there is pretty extensive "hand holding" at first, (their words not mine). When I find out more specifics I will update. Thanks for the feedback!

Hello again! 

I just received my official offer letter for this position and I am feeling concerned because it states in writing even less than was told to me on the phone. Basically the offer letter states that I would be an "exempt" 40hr/week employee receiving a salary of $98,000/year. For insurance the letter says that employees are offered a "variety of health benefits and the opportunity to prepare for retirement by enrolling in their 403(b)".  The health and welfare plans provided include medical, dental, life insurance products, and short-term disability. Currently they pay the premium for short-term disability and an equivalent of 100% of your annual salary to a maximum of $50,000 for basic life insurance if you meet eligibility requirements.  Additionally, they also "contribute toward the medical plan option". But they don't say how much they contribute, or what the eligibility requirements are. It also says they will give specifics regarding the 403b at orientation but when I asked about it on the phone I was told there is no match but there is profit sharing (?).  

I will accrue PTO at a rate of 8.31 hrs/pay period for 27 days per year, available after 180 day probationary period. 

There is no mention in the letter of license reimbursement, dependent care reimbursement, or profit sharing, all of which were vbally mentioned to me on the phone.

I am unsure how to proceed and could use some advice. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid but I have a bad feeling about it, but for logistical reasons such as the fact that it meets my NHSC scholarship criteria and my husband could keep his job if I take it I am feeling a lot of pressure. They also want an answer within 5 days but already called me moments after sending it to set up the pre-employment physical. I don't have any other good options at the moment and also need to move out of the house we're renting by July 1st because my landlord wants to sell. If anyone has any good advice I would love to hear it!

Unfortunately I think you know what our advice would be...namely to contact the SP or office manager or HR or whoever it is you've been in contact with and ask for those specifics to be placed into the contract.  It's pretty standard to have everything spelled out, not undisclosed amounts being contributed towards health and specifics about retirement at a later point.  That's ridiculous.  I had more information after a job interview at JCPenny's 20 years ago.

8 hours ago, MediMike said:

Unfortunately I think you know what our advice would be...namely to contact the SP or office manager or HR or whoever it is you've been in contact with and ask for those specifics to be placed into the contract.  It's pretty standard to have everything spelled out, not undisclosed amounts being contributed towards health and specifics about retirement at a later point.  That's ridiculous.  I had more information after a job interview at JCPenny's 20 years ago.

This was my thought as well. One thing I'm not clear on: Is "offer letter" synonymous with "contract" in this context? If I sign their offer letter can I still back out? 

So by signing their offer letter you are accepting the terms set forth in that letter (compensation rate, PTO, insurance, retirement etc.)

The formal contract usually consists of additional items (all the legalese) such as non-compete, intellectual property, and other stuff that I'm blanking on at the moment.

Honestly unless there is a time clause anywhere in the contract you can back out at any time, it's poor form and doesn't look great professionally but... and those time clauses are only usually present if there is a signing bonus that you have to repay.  Be on the look out for any mandatory notice that is required (60 days etc.)

Think you're going to have to either take a chance on these guys or get things spelled out.  I'd try to get them spelled out.  Not gonna rescind an offer because you want the details engraved in stone.  Probably.  There may be some real sucky people out there.

• Upvote 1