South University - Richmond 2019-2020 Cycle

15 minutes ago, PAgrind said:

Did anyone on the waitlist just get an email to confirm that they want to stay active on the waitlist? What does this mean? I’m dying! Does it mean we will hear soon if we get off of it? 

I got the same email! I think they are just trying to weed out people who have already been accepted to other programs so they can make the waitlist shorter!! Hopefully we’ll get off soon 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 10:21 AM, futurepahokie said:

I do not think it was my stats that got me in at all I think it was more that I was very comfortable in the interview and I feel like I was able to be myself. I talked a lot about what I have learned from experiences I have had in the past and how they have effected me/ will help me in the future as a pa. My stats were 3.49 GPA 304 GRE (3.5 writing) and about 2500 patient care hours as a CNA at multiple different locations and specialties. Hope this helps!

@PAgrind I totally agree with @futurepahokie. I think I stood out (and was accepted) based on how I came across personality-wise in the interview. I felt that I conveyed a passionate yet composed, empathetic, and personable self while providing comprehensive and thoughtful answers.

Timeline:
Submitted CASPA app on 6/30, verified on 7/1. South U RIC confirmed on 7/1. Interview offer received on 8/6. Interviewed on 9/6. Acceptance e-mail received on 9/10. The staff typically meets up to discuss applicants that Friday afternoon, then again that Sunday, and they send out some sort of answer the Tuesday immediately after. 

Stats: 
(1st cycle applying)
Overall Non-science GPA: 3.74
GRE: Verbal: 157 / Quant: 156 / Writing: 4.0
Patient Care Hours: 2544
  (2152 were as an MA and Scribe at Stanford, the rest were extern/volunteer hours)
PA Shadowing Hours: 64
Volunteer Hours: 304
Research Hours: 850
Extra Curriculars: Collegiate team captain, extensive leadership training in college, member of Pre-PA student association.  

Good luck to you all! 🙂 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mem33 said:

No but I’m shocked they are still interviewing when they start in January. That’s great. When did you submit your application?

I was surprised too because I was told Nov. 1 was the last interview date! I submitted on July 19. I was invited for 11/1 date but I couldn't go so I declined and got another email last week inviting me to 11/22. 

To my knowledge, they are still interviewing students through the month of November. I suspect that students on the waitlist won't hear anything (if at all) until the beginning of December at the soonest. I do find this odd, however, because looking at previous cohorts, students were accepted from the waitlist as early as October. Strange. 

On 11/15/2019 at 9:10 AM, mem33 said:

Congrats. Were you originally put on the waitlist? 

On 11/15/2019 at 1:01 PM, gogotoego said:

They weren't waitlisted. They were accepted from the 11/01 interview outright.

Thanks!  Actually, I was placed on the waitlist on November 5th and received my acceptance on the 14th.

• 2 weeks later...