UTRGV 2019/2020 Application Cycle

10 minutes ago, cava1019 said:

I got waitlisted back in February but I just haven’t heard anything else. I was wondering if others who were waitlisted had gotten any news. 

I think that totally depends on your placement on the waitlist bc I was waitlisted in February too but heard back with an acceptance the following week.

Tbh I think they've filled their seats according to what other people have posted here

23 hours ago, cava1019 said:

I got waitlisted back in February but I just haven’t heard anything else. I was wondering if others who were waitlisted had gotten any news. 

Hi! I’m also waitlisted and haven’t heard anything since February. So far only one person has been pulled from the waitlist. We still have time, that’s what I keep telling myself. As of right now all seats are filled. I wonder if they will allow additional seats to open for some of the waitlist peeps, probably not but just a thought.

Edited by pa9701

I am trying everything in my power to improve my application - applied for scribe jobs, volunteer positions at hospitals, inquired about additional shadowing. I'm having no luck as they're not allowing any new and/or non-certified workers for the time being for obvious reasons.

I'm looking for ways that you all are improving your application since the cycle opens up this month. 

6 hours ago, rrr2020 said:

I am trying everything in my power to improve my application - applied for scribe jobs, volunteer positions at hospitals, inquired about additional shadowing. I'm having no luck as they're not allowing any new and/or non-certified workers for the time being for obvious reasons.

I'm looking for ways that you all are improving your application since the cycle opens up this month. 

Have you tried calling local clinics about shadowing? Sometimes it’s easier to get in through smaller organizations, that’s what I did. Also, due to the coronavirus it’ll be harder to find something right now but maybe by summertime! I know where I live (Houston area) they aren’t accepting volunteers/shadowing at most hospitals/clinics until further notice. You should also look into pharm tech or dialysis tech positions. I love my pharm tech job and they hired me before I became certified. You can message me if you have more questions. 

Edited by pa9701

18 hours ago, pa9701 said:

Have you tried calling local clinics about shadowing? Sometimes it’s easier to get in through smaller organizations, that’s what I did. Also, due to the coronavirus it’ll be harder to find something right now but maybe by summertime! I know where I live (Houston area) they aren’t accepting volunteers/shadowing at most hospitals/clinics until further notice. You should also look into pharm tech or dialysis tech positions. I love my pharm tech job and they hired me before I became certified. You can message me if you have more questions. 

I'm not so much concerned about shadowing as I have plenty of shadowing hours. Apparently I need PCH to improve my application which at this point feels impossible. 

I've been looking into ways to get certified to do literally anything in the medical field so I will message you for sure. Thanks. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, rrr2020 said:

I'm not so much concerned about shadowing as I have plenty of shadowing hours. Apparently I need PCH to improve my application which at this point feels impossible. 

I've been looking into ways to get certified to do literally anything in the medical field so I will message you for sure. Thanks. 

I’d say do a fast paced CNA course (I did mine in 3 weeks) to get that certification and start working in a hospital, but idk if they’re even doing those courses right now. Kind of seems too late/bad timing with all that’s going on. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/2/2020 at 10:42 AM, rrr2020 said:

So I just found out about the Texas Disaster Volunteer Registry (Covid-related). That would look fantastic on an application if you volunteered in a time of crisis. I think they also have non-medical people that can volunteer (I might be mistaken) but anybody with a license or certification would also be put to good use. I just signed up for it and it was pretty simple! Doesn’t hurt to try. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cava1019 said:

I just got the acceptance email today at 6 pm!!! I was waitlisted in February and now I’m in!!! For those of you still waiting to hear back or are reapplying this new cycle, Just keep on grinding and you will get into PA school! 

Wow congratulations!!! I’m still waitlisted from February and this gave me the boost of hope I needed.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I dont know if anyone will read this, but i applied last summer 2019, i was interviewed on November 2019, was waitlisted around March 2020 and was accepted June 15,2020!! good luck to anyone applying this cycle, best of luck to all, dont give up guys

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 12:50 PM, mglz11 said:

I dont know if anyone will read this, but i applied last summer 2019, i was interviewed on November 2019, was waitlisted around March 2020 and was accepted June 15,2020!! good luck to anyone applying this cycle, best of luck to all, dont give up guys

Wow that’s amazing! Thanks for the update. Congrats and best of luck to you! I was waitlisted in March too but never got an acceptance. Definitely bummed but I reapplied for this year.  

• 1 year later...
On 11/18/2019 at 2:39 PM, tarynnoelle said:

I just emailed Chris Dennett to give up my seat as I have accepted a seat at a program closer to home. I really loved this program, and if it was closer, I would have gone here. Mr. Dennett is amazing and I have nothing but good things to say about the program. Congrats and good luck to everyone who has been accepted!

Hi Tary, would you be able to share your experience? I know it’s been more than 2 years now since you interviewed but I would like to know if you have any tips as to how the interview went for you then?