UTRGV 2019/2020 Application Cycle

1 hour ago, PACmepls said:

Wait I’m confused I haven’t even gotten an email on a decision and they’re already pulling from the waitlist??

If I had to guess, it seems like what they might do is that they have an established list of acceptees, waitlist, and a "misc" others list, and so perhaps as they are solidifying the actual class of students who have confirmed their spots they might pull people off the "miscellaneous/others" list to fill waitlist and then pull those off waitlist for acceptances. so like misc--> waitlist --> accepted. But certainly if you were chosen to be directly accepted (not waitlisted at all) then you would have heard back by now. But still hope for waitlist and acceptance in the future!

Edited by PreMe

13 hours ago, PreMe said:

If I had to guess, it seems like what they might do is that they have an established list of acceptees, waitlist, and a "misc" others list, and so perhaps as they are solidifying the actual class of students who have confirmed their spots they might pull people off the "miscellaneous/others" list to fill waitlist and then pull those off waitlist for acceptances. so like misc--> waitlist --> accepted. But certainly if you were chosen to be directly accepted (not waitlisted at all) then you would have heard back by now. But still hope for waitlist and acceptance in the future!

This is probably true but what about the 200 plus people who won't get in at all? They need to send out rejections. It's infuriating to play the guessing game after almost 6 months. It's almost cruel. 

• Upvote 2

I have just accepted that since I haven't heard anything, then its a NO. I am already getting registered to shadow more and further build my resume for next year. Good luck to everyone, and congratulations to those who got in. It seems like a wonderful program and I cant wait to apply again for next year. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AngeON said:

I have just accepted that since I haven't heard anything, then its a NO. I am already getting registered to shadow more and further build my resume for next year. Good luck to everyone, and congratulations to those who got in. It seems like a wonderful program and I cant wait to apply again for next year. 

That’s probably best! Last year I kept hanging onto hope even though I knew it was likely a no. I should’ve started preparing sooner. 

• Upvote 1

Out of curiosity, how many of you all accepted and/or wait listed are fluent in Spanish? Apparently that's a huge plus for this particular program since the area is primarily Hispanic / Spanish speaking. It's inevitable that during rotations, the majority (or a very large percentage) of patients are Spanish-speaking.

Edited by rrr2020

8 minutes ago, rrr2020 said:

Out of curiosity, how many of you all accepted and/or wait listed are fluent in Spanish? Apparently that's a huge plus for this particular program since the area is primarily Hispanic / Spanish speaking. It's inevitable that during rotations, the majority (or a very large percentage) of patients are Spanish-speaking.

I don't speak Spanish whatsoever but am in the process of learning at least the basics before starting school. During my interview, the current students told us that it does help but is definitely not necessary as most people do still speak English in the area.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PreMe said:

I don't speak Spanish whatsoever but am in the process of learning at least the basics before starting school. During my interview, the current students told us that it does help but is definitely not necessary as most people do still speak English in the area.

Interesting. Thanks.

Hi y’all,

I just received an acceptance email to UTRGV’s Enrichment PA program. According to the email, this is a 3 year program, instead of the conventional 2, for applicants whose GPAs are not as competitive. The didactic program is 2 yrs and clinical rotations is 1 yr. I received the email at 1:19pm today. I interviewed on 9/06.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ccorkill said:

Hi y’all,

I just received an acceptance email to UTRGV’s Enrichment PA program. According to the email, this is a 3 year program, instead of the conventional 2, for applicants whose GPAs are not as competitive. The didactic program is 2 yrs and clinical rotations is 1 yr. I received the email at 1:19pm today. I interviewed on 9/06.

So does that mean some of the spots for the original PA Class of 2022 are taken by students in the enrichment program as well? Just trying to understand if these are two separate things or if the enrichment students will make up part of the 100 seats that are offered total. And congratulations on your acceptance! 

11 minutes ago, pa9701 said:

So does that mean some of the spots for the original PA Class of 2022 are taken by students in the enrichment program as well? Just trying to understand if these are two separate things or if the enrichment students will make up part of the 100 seats that are offered total. And congratulations on your acceptance! 

It doesn’t distinguish that clearly in the email. It does state that the program was given approval for the Enrichment program for a select few of applicants. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, ccorkill said:

Hi y’all,

Wow! I didn't even know this was a thing. This is great! Congrats. One of my professors was talking to me about this last month when I ran into her and I wasn't sure what she was talking about but now it makes sense. Congrats again.

• Upvote 1