UTRGV 2019/2020 Application Cycle

2 hours ago, rrr2020 said:

As the year comes to a close and the majority of us don't know if the boat we're in is sinking or staying afloat (lol), I want to wish you all a Happy Holiday. Hopefully we all get some positive news soon. I took a break from this forum for my mental health (for real though lol) and it came with a lot of perspective. We will all get to where we want to be one day! Everyone's journey is unique. You're a one and only "you". Ride the wave of this anticipation, frustration and uncertainty - it personally makes me feel so alive with something to look forward to! ❤️   

I really needed this today, thank you so much for your kind words! I wish everyone the best of luck. I hope we are all future classmates at this wonderful program.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 10:05 AM, Prepa36 said:

For those who has been accepted to the program. Have y’all heard anything back since the acceptance email?

Nothing yet! I think they are still doing interviews if I'm not mistaken? I talked with Christopher a few months ago when I was accepted and he said he was going to send out a welcome packet in January, but I'm not sure if that will be pushed back now. Keep us in the loop! Also, if you've been accepted, make sure to join the FB group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2196839817280241/

17 minutes ago, Curivity said:

Nothing yet! I think they are still doing interviews if I'm not mistaken? I talked with Christopher a few months ago when I was accepted and he said he was going to send out a welcome packet in January, but I'm not sure if that will be pushed back now. Keep us in the loop! Also, if you've been accepted, make sure to join the FB group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2196839817280241/

Do you know how many people have actually been accepted based on the FB group? 

I just gave up my seat in the class as I have accepted a seat at a program closer to home!  I truly loved the program and faculty, and if the program was closer, I would have most likely gone there! I have nothing but good things to say about the program and my experience with UTRGV! Best of luck to everyone! I hope you will hear back soon!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, PrePA721 said:

I just gave up my seat in the class as I have accepted a seat at a program closer to home!  I truly loved the program and faculty, and if the program was closer, I would have most likely gone there! I have nothing but good things to say about the program and my experience with UTRGV! Best of luck to everyone! I hope you will hear back soon!

Congratulations on your other acceptance!  Did you call or email when you got in contact with them? I’ve been trying to reach them, but I haven’t heard back

8 minutes ago, rrr2020 said:

How long are ya'll waiting until you start working on your application for the next cycle? I mean, in reality, CASPA opens up again in 3 months for the next cycle. It's been 4 months since I've interviewed. 

The way I see it - not a ton has changed since last application cycle. Aside from some updates, most everything I plan on keeping. Do you all not plan on recycling letters of rec and personal statements? I feel like mine were too strong to abandon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PreMe said:

The way I see it - not a ton has changed since last application cycle. Aside from some updates, most everything I plan on keeping. Do you all not plan on recycling letters of rec and personal statements? I feel like mine were too strong to abandon. 

I heard you’re not able to recycle letter of recs. They would have to resubmit it

22 minutes ago, edtru said:

I heard you’re not able to recycle letter of recs. They would have to resubmit it

Yes I believe you're right. I plan to re-request from the same people. Hopeful they saved it 😅 I've been careful to try to maintain those relationships (sent holiday cards, etc )

Edited by PreMe

16 hours ago, PreMe said:

I feel you 100%. I put my heart and soul into my personal statement. Honestly, I think it's what got me an interview early on. I do have some unique experience, but it took me 3 months to write my personal statement! I have read that it's not a good idea to re-use the same personal statement. Ugh. This is why I'm asking others what they're thinking of doing in terms of the next cycle because I would have to start everything right NOW. I took my time with my PS and I had a lot of people review it and give feedback and that took time. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, rrr2020 said:

I feel you 100%. I put my heart and soul into my personal statement. Honestly, I think it's what got me an interview early on. I do have some unique experience, but it took me 3 months to write my personal statement! I have read that it's not a good idea to re-use the same personal statement. Ugh. This is why I'm asking others what they're thinking of doing in terms of the next cycle because I would have to start everything right NOW. I took my time with my PS and I had a lot of people review it and give feedback and that took time. 

Yes exactly. I feel that it only helped me this application cycle.. and tbh I doubt I could come up with a better version second time around! It seems silly bc we spend years in college building relationships with professors and PAs and working so hard towards this goal - are we expected to abandon all of that after 1 app cycle? We have worked too hard. Sure, the experience we've built upon this past year has been valuable but it does not invalidate everything we did years prior. I was ready to start PA school last cycle, I'm still ready this next cycle haha.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PreMe said:

Yes exactly. I feel that it only helped me this application cycle.. and tbh I doubt I could come up with a better version second time around! It seems silly bc we spend years in college building relationships with professors and PAs and working so hard towards this goal - are we expected to abandon all of that after 1 app cycle? We have worked too hard. Sure, the experience we've built upon this past year has been valuable but it does not invalidate everything we did years prior. I was ready to start PA school last cycle, I'm still ready this next cycle haha.

haha! Me too. I'll never be more ready - it's just like OK when do I start? I think the waiting period is good to rack up more shadowing, etc, but you're completely right. When you give it your ALL on your first application, then where do we go from there? I've had relationships with the people who wrote me LOR's for over 25 years collectively. I know they KNOW me. This is a sucky part of the process. Relationships take time to build - I don't want just anyone writing for me. I just hear ya... totally hear ya. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rrr2020 said:

What I'd recommend is to broaden your scope of schools you apply to, if you're not accepted this time around, for the next cycle. You may reapply with the same materials you used this cycle, but keep in mind they have already reviewed the application once. The differences between this cycle and the next are many; from your competition, to the admissions committee itself. There are tons of variables, but just to be safe I would widen your scope to other schools in the state you may have avoided, and from there into bordering states. You will get in, I promise!

2 hours ago, arb1992 said:

Don’t give up hope yet, I haven’t seen any news about acceptances since the new year started so for all we know they are still working on it. 

I've talked with a few applicants on FB that have upcoming interviews. Based on the history of past cycles with UTRGV, they tend to be the last to finish up. So, there's plenty of time left for acceptances. 🙂 

13 minutes ago, Curivity said:

What I'd recommend is to broaden your scope of schools you apply to, if you're not accepted this time around, for the next cycle. You may reapply with the same materials you used this cycle, but keep in mind they have already reviewed the application once. The differences between this cycle and the next are many; from your competition, to the admissions committee itself. There are tons of variables, but just to be safe I would widen your scope to other schools in the state you may have avoided, and from there into bordering states. You will get in, I promise!

I've talked with a few applicants on FB that have upcoming interviews. Based on the history of past cycles with UTRGV, they tend to be the last to finish up. So, there's plenty of time left for acceptances. 🙂 

I'm from the RGV and I have small children so staying in my hometown where I have help and support through my family is the best situation for me as a PA student. I know that my success will depend partly on the help and support I have so It's not to my benefit at this time to apply to other schools, but I do see what you're saying. Maybe my situation is just different from others. 

Edited by rrr2020

1 hour ago, Curivity said:

Wow! Do you know when their upcoming interview is?? 

Has anyone tried to contact the program? I interviewed on September 20th, and have not heard back from them. I have received an acceptance at another program and have been attempting to get in touch with UTRGV to see if they would happen to know the status of my interview, but I haven’t had any luck. I’ve emailed them and called them.  

1 hour ago, mbotello23 said:

Has anyone tried to contact the program? I interviewed on September 20th, and have not heard back from them. I have received an acceptance at another program and have been attempting to get in touch with UTRGV to see if they would happen to know the status of my interview, but I haven’t had any luck. I’ve emailed them and called them.  

I was just about to ask if anyone has done this! I just got accepted to another school today, but I still love UTRGV and would like to know my status. I also interviewed in September. They said to contact them if this happens, so hopefully they will answer soon. I interviewed in September of the previous cycle also, and didn’t find out until the following April that I wasn’t accepted.