Cant find a job

Hi everyone, I'm a PA graduate 2018, unable to find a job in the Michigan..Ive applied out of state too and got one offer but it sounds really bad for the COL and salary,  I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Its starting to get really disheartening. I havent been picky, I apply for anything but nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions?? 

Thank you!

where in michigan?  You might be doing something very wrong because there are plenty of jobs downstate.  All of the major hospitals and systems are hiring.   In the rural areas it is spottier.   You can usually pick two out of three.......location, specialty, or salary, but usually not three out of three straight out.  Don’t be afraid to take a lesser salary to get started after this length of time because the longer you wait, the longer you will be in competition with newer grads.  Be sure to get your license, DEA, certification, and ACLS etc done prior.   Have an experienced PA review your application materials.  Hard to be more specific without knowing more info.  

I'm in MI, and while I do have experience I recently changed jobs and had an interview for almost every application I sent out (only ones I didn't were jobs I didn't hear back from before accepting current job) - and I don't feel that I am a special PA (ortho and FM background).

So, I would HIGHLY suggest having someone take a look at your resume/cover letter and review interview skills.  Or, maybe you are focused too much on a specific location or specialty?  Let me know if you would like pointers...and my employer may be having a few openings in the near future, and overall a pretty good place to work.

Also a new grad here in MI. I'm having trouble landing interviews as well. I believe SE MI is extremely saturated. I would love to practice in this state as OTP laws are by far one of the best in the country. My question is at what point do I start applying for NP jobs? I believe that these jobs are also easier to search as NP is a very career specific title. Searching PA I get a lot of physician/medical assistant results. 

14 minutes ago, LKPAC said:

Now.

I would argue that should have started when you started applying for jobs...but otherwise correct.

Bottom line...you have three options: location, specialty, pay...you get to choose 2.  As you gain experience you may be able to get all three in some fashion...but not as a new grad.  Search job boards, contact offices, look into specific offices as not everybody lists through recruiters or online job boards (my last employer didn't).

But, while SE MI may be saturated I can say VERY confidently the rest of the state is NOT, especially NW MI.  You might not want to live there forever, but it can be a pathway to get back to SE MI when the right job opens in 1-2 years...it wasn't exactly my intention, but it's what happened.

• Like 1

Ironically, a long time ago I could find a job in Kentucky (horrible job market in 1982) and had to move to Michigan to find a job. Lived in Michigan for about 10 years. Loved the UP but at that time (mid 90s) the job market there was not so good. Eventually had to leave the state.  Good luck, but like others have said, be open to relocating.

• 3 weeks later...

There are more PA jobs in the Central Valley of California than you can shake a stick at.  And they pay really well.  Some of the family med clinic jobs even qualify for NHSC loan repayment. 

Contact some recruiters....good recruiters will even help you polish your CV and give you interview tips....they only get paid if you get the job.

If you're interested in ER jobs or in primary care and don't mind moving to north central CA, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.  Some of the ER groups are willing to hire new grads.  Some of the ER groups also run ER residencies for PAs, and when I left, some of the sites in my ER group were experimenting with a 6 month intensive "internship" where they pay you to do extra readings outside of work in order to get you up to speed faster as a new grad.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1