The Amazing Human Body - Highest Leukocyte Count

As I've endured my battle with Multiple Myeloma, I have been amazed about the resilience of the human body. This past week I witnessed the highest leukocyte count I've ever seen . . . and it was my own, 46,000. This was after three days of high-dose Filgrastim to mobilize my stem cells, for collection, in preparation for an autologous stem-cell transplantation. I thought it would have been funny to walk into the local urgent care center and complain I have a fever and watch their eyes when they drew a CBC. Of course, they would think leukemia. 

• Like 3

I had a patient yesterday with a white count of 81,000, I'm pretty sure he didn't get Filgrastim (because we didn't give it to him), pretty sure it wasn't leukemia (WBC was 28,000 2 days prior and 15,000 2 days before that). I think we are calling it "leukemoid reaction" and keeping a sharp eye out for Clostridium difficile infection. 

This is in the setting of an ICU, he's a trauma patient 2 weeks into his hospital stay.

jmj11, I wish you the best with your treatment! It sounds like you are being put through the wringer, so to speak.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Reality Check 2 said:

My Diffuse B cell lymphoma pt just came back with a WBC count of 66K  after chemo. RBC count only 2.2. 

Started out with a bizarre skin lesion that looks like overlapping granular annulare but the PET scan showed 17 foci of activity. 

What the human body can withstand is truly awe inspiring.

Blessings on your journey!

I should buy you a beer!

• 4 weeks later...

Well my whopping WBC count of 46 k is, as of this morning 0.71 k. This drop is from the nasty (and intended) work of Mephalan. My new stem cells have been "on-board" for 6 days, however, they will not start to set up "house keeping" for another week. This is my vulnerable week of little defense. But, back to my original point, the human body is amazing. It is incredible what the human body can endure. I've known people who see their (very healthy) bodies as so fragile that they only drink lukewarm water, fearing the cold or heat of drinks.

• Upvote 2

On 5/26/2019 at 6:33 AM, MT2PA said:

It's a little unfair given my specialty, but 500k tops the WBC counts for me.  But that's CLL for ya.

Just Dx a guy with CLL (I work family medicine) and his WBC was 112K and my jaw dropped when I got his labs back. Did not expect that on routine blood work. I have had a lot of cancer lately, CML/CLL/MM/Renal cell carcinoma x 2 (same week for the renal cell). I will say this, I have started buying bottle water....unsure of the water around here 🙂