NYC - New Grad

How feasible / easy is it for a new grad to get a job in NYC? Specifically if you graduated from an out-of-state school? From reading a post or two on the forum NYC is oversaturated with good PA schools in the area. I'm worried that I won't be competitive since I'd like to move here right after graduation.

Any insight is helpful. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I graduated PA school last summer, and did not have any trouble finding jobs or getting interviews. I basically stalked all the health care job listing sites, at least two times a day, so that whenever a job posting was listed I was able to send my resume immediately. Healthecareers.com, Indeed.com, Craigslist, plus each individual hospital I was interested in I checked their website as well. Most of my friends were able to get positions 80K+ out of school. I think I could definitely make more in another state, a ton more, but I want my 2-3 years NYC experience before I get out of the city. Good luck!

I graduated PA school last summer, and did not have any trouble finding jobs or getting interviews. I basically stalked all the health care job listing sites, at least two times a day, so that whenever a job posting was listed I was able to send my resume immediately. Healthecareers.com, Indeed.com, Craigslist, plus each individual hospital I was interested in I checked their website as well. Most of my friends were able to get positions 80K+ out of school. I think I could definitely make more in another state, a ton more, but I want my 2-3 years NYC experience before I get out of the city. Good luck!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post, but I'll reply for the next person who has this same question.  Depending on how far away from NYC you are, it can be a very challenging place to find a good job in.  There are lots of jobs available, but also lots of local and semi-local candidates so most employers do not recruit outside of what they consider their local area.  If you go ahead and move there the job market will open up quite a bit.  

Here are a few options for New York physician assistant jobs; http://www.hospitalrecruiting.com/jobs/Physician-Assistant-Jobs/New-York/

Archived