Jump to content
mey97

USJ 2019-2020 Application Cycle

Recommended Posts

On 6/29/2019 at 10:47 PM, John999Rogers said:

USJ has the potential to be a very good program; but here's the problem... they aren't yet. PA school should be difficult, even very very difficult, but every single exam one quarter of the cohort fails and the majority are on the verge of failing. That is not "normal" for PA school. They actively "stress" the student while lacking any empathy for them. And if they do not like you for any reason or you are struggling in any area, they will tighten the screws until you drop out. PA school will be one of the hardest things you ever do, but they have managed to take it to the next level. 

Look at there retention rate and not their "manipulated numbers" which includes all the "decelerated" students. Ask them how many students began their program last year and how many are currently in it (hint 44 and now about 35) My guess is they had no intention of ever graduating 44 students. Their strategy: screen the best they can, let in more students than they can support, weed out the weaker students, and at the end of the 28 months have the best shot at a 100% PANCE pass rate. Meanwhile, many potential PA careers are destroyed. 

They are gunning to get a reputation and compete with the big names like Yale and Quinnipiac, however their program is not nearly refined enough and their faculty is no where near that level. The cohort is miserable and the professors utterly unsupportive.

Be very wary, do your own homework, and make your decision carefully. You've worked incredibly hard to get this far, you deserve a fair shot at becoming a PA.

Chris. Chill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 10:47 PM, John999Rogers said:

Be very wary, do your own homework, and make your decision carefully. You've worked incredibly hard to get this far, you deserve a fair shot at becoming a PA.

You had a fair chance until you were reprimanded for academic dishonesty. 

PA school is very difficult and USJ is no different. This is not a platform to spread false information.

Good luck to everyone on their interviews!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my acceptance email today as well and interviewed 6/24! So excited to start this journey with you guys!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interviewed 6/24 and got my acceptance email today as well! Congrats to everyone so far- can't wait to get to know you all!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my acceptance e-mail today, just paid my deposit! So excited! I interviewed on 6/25, congrats everyone!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received an acceptance email yesterday as well, I interviewed on 6/24. I look forward to meeting you all, and congrats!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Ask them how many students began their program last year and how many are currently in it (hint 44 and now about 35) My guess is they had no intention of ever graduating 44 students. Their strategy: screen the best they can, let in more students than they can support, weed out the weaker students, and at the end of the 28 months have the best shot at a 100% PANCE pass rate. Meanwhile, many potential PA careers are destroyed. “

Just a bunch of lies.

Here’s the facts: I’ve done admissions work and interviews for the program. They would love everyone to succeed and do the best they can to make sure that will happen. It’s not to their benefit to have students fail out. They lose their tuition money over the two + years. They develop a bad reputation. They could even risk losing accreditation. Faculty could lose their jobs without enough students enrolled to support the overhead of the program. Programs are not allowed to “accept more students than they support”. They can lose accreditation if they do so. ARC-PA also looks at deceleration and attrition rates, and found the program to be acceptable for full accreditation.  Every program will have some students that don’t make it, despite the best intentions of the faculty. Students in PA programs are expected to be adult learners and take control of their own academics. Some students have unrealistic expectations about PA school coming in and realize they can’t handle it. Some are academically dishonest, like the original poster, and are rightfully kicked out. 

Time to stop spewing hate.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 4:25 PM, PAS1throwaway said:

You had a fair chance until you were reprimanded for academic dishonesty. 

PA school is very difficult and USJ is no different. This is not a platform to spread false information.

Good luck to everyone on their interviews!

I do not want to get into a tit for tat with PAS1throwaway, but you brought it up, so let’s be transparent about the incident to which you refer.

 

In a hallway during/after an OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination), a student, undoubtedly disliked by the faculty, is commiserating with 3 or 4 other students as they had all just made the same silly mistake. During which, a professor stepped out from an adjoining room, made eye contact with each one of them, and told them to be quiet. A few days later, this student was reprimanded for academic dishonesty. They further stated that he alone was being reprimanded because the professor was unable to identify the other students, (a nonsensical lie).

 

Talking during an OSCE, granted, is a violation of the academic integrity policy; however, there are a couple of points that should be recognized. Firstly, talking in the hallway during an OSCE is fairly commonplace at this program, and in this case, there were a group of students talking, yet only one student was reprimanded. Secondly, it was clear there existed no intention to cheat or help another student cheat, in fact, the faculty voluntarily stated as such during the reprimanding.

 

With that said, I believe your comment,

 

“You had a fair chance until you were reprimanded for academic dishonesty.”

 

to be not only despicable, so far as you continue to smear this student, but it clearly affirms my earlier post that the faculty deliberately targets certain students in a campaign to force them out of the program.

 

To your other point, I am not trying to spread false rumors, I am offering applicants a perspective I wish I had. You’re “selling” a product which you have carefully packaged. But your program does not even remotely resemble the program you advertised. You are so obsessed with getting a 100% PANCE pass rate and building the reputation of your program that you are unable or unwilling to see the madness to your method, not to mention indifference to the potential PA careers you ruin.

 

PA school should be the most difficult 28 months of one’s life; it should not be the most miserable. Pause for a moment and ask yourselves, is the spirit of what it is to be Physician Assistant reflected the program you created?  Your program is void of any empathy or compassion. You have a cohort that is beyond miserable and exist every moment terrified of getting on your “naughty list”. You may get a 100% pass rate, but what kind of PA’s are you molding and at what cost?

 

PA school is so competitive that a PA applicant gets one shot, no school is going to admit someone who withdrew from another program, regardless of circumstance. You let in more than you intend on graduating and systematically target the weaker students in the cohort to maximize your scores on the PANCE and develop your program's reputation. But these students who are not as strong memorizers, or take a little longer to master the material, or ask too many questions in class, or are too quiet, or too loud, or too shy...., these students you think are not the best of the best of the best; some, if not many, could have made excellent PA’s. Think about that before you dismiss your next student. They clearly had the credentials to get admitted into your program and likely other programs, maybe it is you that is failing, not them.

 

 

Think about this before you throw around your next reprimanded for academic dishonesty. For many of us still take that accusation incredibly seriously.

Edited by John999Rogers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marktheshark89 said:

“Ask them how many students began their program last year and how many are currently in it (hint 44 and now about 35) My guess is they had no intention of ever graduating 44 students. Their strategy: screen the best they can, let in more students than they can support, weed out the weaker students, and at the end of the 28 months have the best shot at a 100% PANCE pass rate. Meanwhile, many potential PA careers are destroyed. “

Just a bunch of lies.

Here’s the facts: I’ve done admissions work and interviews for the program. They would love everyone to succeed and do the best they can to make sure that will happen. It’s not to their benefit to have students fail out. They lose their tuition money over the two + years. They develop a bad reputation. They could even risk losing accreditation. Faculty could lose their jobs without enough students enrolled to support the overhead of the program. Programs are not allowed to “accept more students than they support”. They can lose accreditation if they do so. ARC-PA also looks at deceleration and attrition rates, and found the program to be acceptable for full accreditation.  Every program will have some students that don’t make it, despite the best intentions of the faculty. Students in PA programs are expected to be adult learners and take control of their own academics. Some students have unrealistic expectations about PA school coming in and realize they can’t handle it. Some are academically dishonest, like the original poster, and are rightfully kicked out. 

Time to stop spewing hate.

Fact: I was not kicked out, I voluntarily withdrew, and I declined their offer to decelerate and return the following year. 

 

Edited by John999Rogers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 12:44 AM, John999Rogers said:

I do not want to get into a tit for tat with PAS1throwaway, but you brought it up, so let’s be transparent about the incident to which you refer.

 

In a hallway during/after an OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination), a student, undoubtedly disliked by the faculty, is commiserating with 3 or 4 other students as they had all just made the same silly mistake. During which, a professor stepped out from an adjoining room, made eye contact with each one of them, and told them to be quiet. A few days later, this student was reprimanded for academic dishonesty. They further stated that he alone was being reprimanded because the professor was unable to identify the other students, (a nonsensical lie).

 

Talking during an OSCE, granted, is a violation of the academic integrity policy; however, there are a couple of points that should be recognized. Firstly, talking in the hallway during an OSCE is fairly commonplace at this program, and in this case, there were a group of students talking, yet only one student was reprimanded. Secondly, it was clear there existed no intention to cheat or help another student cheat, in fact, the faculty voluntarily stated as such during the reprimanding.

 

With that said, I believe your comment,

 

“You had a fair chance until you were reprimanded for academic dishonesty.”

 

to be not only despicable, so far as you continue to smear this student, but it clearly affirms my earlier post that the faculty deliberately targets certain students in a campaign to force them out of the program.

 

To your other point, I am not trying to spread false rumors, I am offering applicants a perspective I wish I had. You’re “selling” a product which you have carefully packaged. But your program does not even remotely resemble the program you advertised. You are so obsessed with getting a 100% PANCE pass rate and building the reputation of your program that you are unable or unwilling to see the madness to your method, not to mention indifference to the potential PA careers you ruin.

 

PA school should be the most difficult 28 months of one’s life; it should not be the most miserable. Pause for a moment and ask yourselves, is the spirit of what it is to be Physician Assistant reflected the program you created?  Your program is void of any empathy or compassion. You have a cohort that is beyond miserable and exist every moment terrified of getting on your “naughty list”. You may get a 100% pass rate, but what kind of PA’s are you molding and at what cost?

 

PA school is so competitive that a PA applicant gets one shot, no school is going to admit someone who withdrew from another program, regardless of circumstance. You let in more than you intend on graduating and systematically target the weaker students in the cohort to maximize your scores on the PANCE and develop your program's reputation. But these students who are not as strong memorizers, or take a little longer to master the material, or ask too many questions in class, or are too quiet, or too loud, or too shy...., these students you think are not the best of the best of the best; some, if not many, could have made excellent PA’s. Think about that before you dismiss your next student. They clearly had the credentials to get admitted into your program and likely other programs, maybe it is you that is failing, not them.

 

 

Think about this before you throw around your next reprimanded for academic dishonesty. For many of us still take that accusation incredibly seriously.

Hello Again @John999Rogers,

I am sorry to read, again, that you continue to have such a negative perception of this program. But I find it disheartening that you continue to make blanket statements and gross generalizations on such a platform including "You have a cohort that is beyond miserable and exist every moment terrified of getting on your “naughty list”. You may get a 100% pass rate, but what kind of PA’s are you molding and at what cost?" Speaking from experience, my cohort was not "beyond miserable" throughout our time in the program, nor was there a "naughty list." Were there times when we felt miserable as we navigated some of the most challenging situations we have ever academically endured? Yes. Were there times when we felt like giving up? Yes. Were there times when we questioned what we were possibly doing here? Yes, yes and yes. However, my cohort survived this trials and tribulations and made it successfully through to the other side, due in part to a faculty that WAS incredibly supportive of us and believed in us all from day 1.

To continue this point, the faculty worked with us, grew with us, changed with us as the program developed. They heard us out when times were tough, when things seemed unfair, and made every effort to accommodate to make the program even better.  To read your comment, "You let in more than you intend on graduating and systematically target the weaker students in the cohort to maximize your scores on the PANCE and develop your program's reputation" was, again, unfortunate. The faculty are not scheming against the students, nor are they "targeting" individuals. They do not have some ulterior motive as a method of destroying the students and breaking them down. The environment as USJ was nothing but supportive. The faculty provides numerous opportunities to work with students who may be struggling with the material or with passing exams. They in no way are promoting failure to try to make the program look better. Being a newer program, they want nothing more than to make the program great. I am sorry if you experienced or feel otherwise.

To answer your question "What kind of PAs are you molding and at what cost?," I would say that USJ's PA program molded some pretty incredible PAs in our inaugural cohort. The fact that we have PAs entering residencies, being hired at top institutions across the state and country, exceeding national averages and receiving praises from other providers all over the state speaks for itself.

I cannot speak to your individual experience or perceptions, and I am sorry that you have this continuing negative image of USJ's PA program. However, as someone who completed the program and saw it from start to finish and made it through the various peaks and valleys I believe that I can speak from a different platform. I want other applicants to see what I and the rest of my cohort saw throughout our time in the program. I realize that not everyone may have the same experience and it is indeed individualized, however with the successes of my cohort, the inaugural cohort, I believe that USJ is doing something right.

Best,

Jaclyn Neveu, MSPAS, PA-C

Edited by jrneveu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prepagirl133 said:

I interviewed 7/8 and I haven’t heard anything back yet. Anyone else?

I also interviewed on 7/8 and did not hear back yet. They said that they will get back to us with in the week so I assume tomorrow will be the big reveal 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2019 at 12:16 AM, adza95 said:

I got my acceptance e-mail today, just paid my deposit! So excited! I interviewed on 6/25, congrats everyone!

Can you share stats please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was waitlisted for an interview on June 16th and have not heard anything 😕 Would literally make me so happy if I got an interview but at this point, I think it's safe to assume that its unlikely we'll come off of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, futurepaletssee said:

I was waitlisted for an interview on June 16th and have not heard anything 😕 Would literally make me so happy if I got an interview but at this point, I think it's safe to assume that its unlikely we'll come off of it.

 

4 hours ago, PAsb2020 said:

Waitlisted on June 10th is there still hope :/?

I was waitlisted on the June 13 and haven't heard anything since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone get outright rejected with no interview offer or waitlist for interview offer? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My timeline: 

CASPA submitted: July 10th

CASPA verified: July 12th

Submitted USJ app & fee: July 21st

Received acknowledgement of app receipt: July 22nd

Interview Invite: 8/6/19 !!!

Mad hype. First interview invite =D

Edited by PrePaChrisie
prematurely pressed enter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More