Sacred Heart PA Applicants 2019

7 minutes ago, op777 said:

Hi everyone! This is my first time applying to PA school and I have yet to receive an interview. For those of you who have received interviews, I was wondering if you could share some of your stats? I only had 1100 hours of PCE upon applying, so I feel this may be holding me back!

I had about 2200 hours 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, op777 said:

Hi everyone! This is my first time applying to PA school and I have yet to receive an interview. For those of you who have received interviews, I was wondering if you could share some of your stats? I only had 1100 hours of PCE upon applying, so I feel this may be holding me back!

Hi op777!

My overall gpa is 3.1, my science gpa is 3.4 ( I worked full time as a full time undergrad) my PCE consists of 23,000 hours working in the ED at a level 2 trauma center. 300 volunteer hours with a number of different organizations. I have accrued 580 shadowing hours (PA and MD in ED, Ortho, Hospital medicine and Primary Care. ( I also grew up on a large dairy farm, trained as a television reporter and worked on a Presidential campaign) Don't get discouraged if you don't get interviews on your first try - I was completely rejected my first CASPA cycle, last year I was waitlisted at SHU (rejected at the end of august when they filled the class) invited back again this year and got accepted ( I went with another program though) had I gotten in off their waitlist last year< I absolutely would have attended! If you can go to their open house I would highly recommend it! Try to get feedback on your application if you can. I think my work experience and diverse life experiences helped buffer my low gpa. Be determined and don't give up!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, op777 said:

Thanks, thats good to know! If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA? I was a bio major and my science GPA is a 3.28, my overall is a 3.35 and my pre-requisite GPA is a 3.6. Hoping my science GPA isnt too low. 

Overall 3.66 and science 3.42. However have still not heard back post interview 

21 minutes ago, 1madmamma said:

Hi op777!

My overall gpa is 3.1, my science gpa is 3.4 ( I worked full time as a full time undergrad) my PCE consists of 23,000 hours working in the ED at a level 2 trauma center. 300 volunteer hours with a number of different organizations. I have accrued 580 shadowing hours (PA and MD in ED, Ortho, Hospital medicine and Primary Care. ( I also grew up on a large dairy farm, trained as a television reporter and worked on a Presidential campaign) Don't get discouraged if you don't get interviews on your first try - I was completely rejected my first CASPA cycle, last year I was waitlisted at SHU (rejected at the end of august when they filled the class) invited back again this year and got accepted ( I went with another program though) had I gotten in off their waitlist last year< I absolutely would have attended! If you can go to their open house I would highly recommend it! Try to get feedback on your application if you can. I think my work experience and diverse life experiences helped buffer my low gpa. Be determined and don't give up!

Thanks so much for sharing your stats with me and for the advice! I will definitely try to get some feedback and attend an open house. If not this round, hopefully I get some interviews next round! Thanks again for the motivation! 

2 hours ago, nataliec said:

Hi everyone, does anyone know if SHU has had their last interview session yet and if not, when the last one is scheduled for? Thanks!

Hi nataliec!  Interviews ended in November. I received my acceptance call on November 7th (I'm pretty sure they all went out that day)- people accepted after that were spots that opened up from those of us who chose other programs. Last year I received the waitlist email from SHU in January.

Just got the call yesterday from one of my top choices, so after much deliberation, I will be giving up my seat at Sacred Heart. It was tough, because I loved both programs and both were close to family, but the other school is just a better fit overall. I hope this opens up a seat for someone on the wait list! Good luck to all of you!

On 12/16/2019 at 3:53 PM, sosands said:

For those accepted and plan on going, where are you looking to live? Which city? Will you commute via public transportation?

Although I declined SHU, I am from CT and thought I would give those of you not from the tri-state area a heads up- Stamford is crazy expensive to live in! (Like $1800+ for a 1B,1B!) You will be hard pressed to find anything cheap. Definitely find roommates to share a rental! Traffic is a nightmare! It took me 65 minutes to go 15 miles from Stamford to rt 8! The Merrit is awful if you are on during peak travel times (if you are heading south before 6am you should be good) It can take 2 hours to go the 40 miles from the main campus in Fairfield to Tandent center in Stamford if the pkwy is backed up  and there are no good alternate routes. I'm not sure about public transport in Stamford (we've take metro north into the city which was fine) there are buses. I would not advise getting a place too far from Tandent center- and definitely pay for the parking- it would be super stressful to have an exam and not be able to find a free on the street spot! Good luck to you guys! 

17 hours ago, 1madmamma said:

Although I declined SHU, I am from CT and thought I would give those of you not from the tri-state area a heads up- Stamford is crazy expensive to live in! (Like $1800+ for a 1B,1B!) You will be hard pressed to find anything cheap. Definitely find roommates to share a rental! Traffic is a nightmare! It took me 65 minutes to go 15 miles from Stamford to rt 8! The Merrit is awful if you are on during peak travel times (if you are heading south before 6am you should be good) It can take 2 hours to go the 40 miles from the main campus in Fairfield to Tandent center in Stamford if the pkwy is backed up  and there are no good alternate routes. I'm not sure about public transport in Stamford (we've take metro north into the city which was fine) there are buses. I would not advise getting a place too far from Tandent center- and definitely pay for the parking- it would be super stressful to have an exam and not be able to find a free on the street spot! Good luck to you guys! 

Thanks all though I have a family and trying to see which places other people are looking to live that are cheaper.