Hello all!

I am slowly but surely working my way through CASPA and I am kind of confused about what the memberships (under supporting information) is suppose to include. I understand that you're supposed to list and describe your professional memberships but what does this include? For example, I was a member of Eta Sigma Gamma (held a leadership role) in college which is a honor society for health education and promotion students. Also I am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc which to me is more of a social organization since its a sorority but there are definitely some "professional" ties as well. Would I include that? 

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Thanks!

Personally, I would not include those under membership. I would add them under the experience section. From what I've read and been told, professional memberships include having an AAPA membership or your state PA organization membership. Or if you belong to any large societies like the American Society of Microbiology. What you have listed above would not be considered 'professional' by CASPAs definition. I was also a sorority member and was in an honors society and I added both of them to my experience section!

Edited by paPassion7
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 5/21/2019 at 6:28 AM, paPassion7 said:

Personally, I would not include those under membership. I would add them under the experience section. From what I've read and been told, professional memberships include having an AAPA membership or your state PA organization membership. Or if you belong to any large societies like the American Society of Microbiology. What you have listed above would not be considered 'professional' by CASPAs definition. I was also a sorority member and was in an honors society and I added both of them to my experience section!

Agree. I was advised to do this same thing. Was told Memberships are for specifically for professional organizations. Honors societies go under Experience section, honor roll awards / Dean’s List etc go under Achievements section.