California faces doctor shortage, but doctors derailed plan to fix it.

LA Times May 20, 2019: Heading about doctors derailing plan to fix Dr shortage. It was actually putting off NP’s goal of independence for another year.  Any chance PA’s will actually be on that plan/bill next year? It would appear to be excellent opportunity. Like it or not, NP will get it passed within next year or two. Either get on with them or remain PA, new title (Provider Assistant) Assist Md,DO, DPM, NP

Edited by Hope2PA
Typo

19 hours ago, AlteredBeast said:

CA is a strange place, I've recently been seeing NP only positions when a PA would arguably be the better choice, outside of supervision requirements.  I think CA is nursing territory to be honest.

So as a California PA, has the group just given up and resigned to it being nursing territory? Will your leadership attempt to be included next year to “practice to the fullest extent”, or are they ok to wither away with status quo? 

11 hours ago, AlteredBeast said:

NPs already have pseudo- independence here. They don't need SP to co-sign any chart. That's all it takes for large systems to prefer to hire NPs. I think the docs that are employees of the big machine like it too, no added responsibility to them.

^^^ This is in California right now?  NP's don't need charts co-signed and PA's do???

12 hours ago, Cideous said:

^^^ This is in California right now?  NP's don't need charts co-signed and PA's do???

This is certainly the case in CA. I should add that instead of physician supervision NP's need something called collaboration which ultimately boils down to some line of communication being available with a physician somehow somewhere I think.  NP's don't need any chart cosigning, which is why I attribute NP's being so popular around here, aside from sheer number.  I could be wrong though.  The lobby is strong with them.

Edited by AlteredBeast

Ho-Ly-Crap....I did not know that.  

It's worse than I thought.  At least in Texas NP's and PA's are viewed the same under the law.  Well, at least for now.  IF np's pass some of the things they are trying to do here in Texas, that will be it for us.  It's really heartbreaking after all these years in the profession to watch our leadership's paralytic impotence when it comes to our name and keeping pace with NP's legislatively.  

• 2 weeks later...

Cali I think I just got spittle in my face. 🙂

I have said for years we should be joining with the nurses because the docs aren't our friends. The problem with trying that now is they are light years ahead of us legislatively and they already have huge numbers. Interesting them in mutual efforts doesn't really add much to their armory. They generally aren't interested.

Take a breath...or a pill...or both. I'm saying the nurses have no incentive to let us into their party. They gain little to nothing. It is always a conversation worth having but about 5 years ago I created my own little PA organization (population 2) and called the state nurse association and said "lets work together!" At first they were just suspicious. Then they welcomed me into their party but only wanted to add our name to their efforts for independence. They had no interest in doing any work that benefited PAs. They have been working this for years and years while we were asleep at the switch so they aren't particularly impressed with us.

It is possible to change that paradigm but we don't just need a change attitude as a profession we need an entirely new mentality. 

Edited by sas5814

32 minutes ago, sas5814 said:

Take a breath...or a pill...or both. I'm saying the nurses have no incentive to let us into their party. They gain little to nothing. It is always a conversation worth having but about 5 years ago I created my own little PA organization (population 2) and called the state nurse association and said "lets work together!" At first they were just suspicious. Then they welcomed me into their party but only wanted to add our name to their efforts for independence. They had no interest in doing any work that benefited PAs. They have been working this for years and years while we were asleep at the switch so they aren't particularly impressed with us.

It is possible to change that paradigm but we don't just need a change attitude as a profession we need an entirely new mentality. 

Ok I just put every grammatical markup I could on your post.  I hope everyone reads and re-reads it.  This is EXACTLY what we are up against straight from a guy who was tired of waiting for our leadership to take the blue pill and get moving like their professional lives depended on it.