Ok so my college transcript is a mess. I have a lot of W grades but most of them were the result of mental health issues and career indecision (I know that doesn't make them any better). Most of the W grades were whole semester drops. There are only two W grades that were not part of whole semester drops that I think are major red flags. One is for college algebra and trigonometry and the other is for general chemistry II. I was experiencing depression at the time of both of those drops but I was struggling with the material as well. I retook college algebra and trigonometry and got a B. I'm still yet to retake general chemistry II. When I dropped general chemistry II, I was depressed and overwhelmed by the lab but I think I can manage it next semester because my mental health has improved. My science grades are mediocre: C in General Biology I, B in General Biology I lab, B- in General Biology II, B in General Biology II lab, B+ in General Chemistry I, B + in General Chemistry I lab, and my Anatomy and Physiology I grade is upcoming and should be in the B range (maybe A- if I ace the final). 

My college history is definitely erratic. I started after high school in 2009 majoring in business, left because of depression and pursued an acting career, came back here and there taking core classes and acting classes part time with my major still business (really stupid), and finally got serious in 2017 when I officially switched my major to biology and was able to handle full class loads for consecutive semesters. I'm currently at a junior standing with 78 credits. My overall GPA is 3.3. I want to switch my major to African Studies because I genuinely like it but will that look bad? Is my transcript too fvcked up already to even apply to PA school? Can volunteer experience, better grades from now on, letters of recommendation, and a solid personal statement make up for it? 

How many Ws do you have? If you’re almost done with your biology degree, then finish it. It makes you seem indecisive to make multiple switches and have years of random inconsistencies and Ws on your transcript. It will most likely get brought up in an interview. At this point, just stick with the degree that will be fastest to complete. You didn’t mention what you did for PCE, volunteering, shadowing, other jobs, etc. Mentioning your full stats will help you make a better decision. If you’re worried about your transcript and the competitiveness of PA school, have you ever considered the nursing route? You can complete the degree you’re currently working on, attend an accelerated BSN program (~1-1.5 years), and have the option of applying to NP school as well, which is pretty easy to get into. You’ll have a great career to fall back on, and if you decide you still want to go to PA school, you’ll have 2 degrees for them to look at

Edited by Potatolife

I have 11 W on my transcript. I'm not at all interested in being a nurse because I'm a man that thinks nurses and nurse practitioners should be women and I wont change my mind about that. I don't know what PCE is and I currently have no volunteering or shadowing experience but I'm thinking of applying for a job as a scribe this summer. My other jobs were restaurant jobs. I wanted to change my major to african studies cause I like it but I'm thinking you are right about inconsistency.

• Downvote 15

31 minutes ago, TheChemist91 said:

Why am I getting negative reactions to what I'm saying? I'm just asking questions...

1 hour ago, TheChemist91 said:

I have 11 W on my transcript. I'm not at all interested in being a nurse because I'm a man that thinks nurses and nurse practitioners should be women and I wont change my mind about that. I don't know what PCE is and I currently have no volunteering or shadowing experience but I'm thinking of applying for a job as a scribe this summer. My other jobs were restaurant jobs. I wanted to change my major to african studies cause I like it but I'm thinking you are right about inconsistency.

You really don’t see the problem here? You’re being sexist saying that nursing is a woman’s job. Don’t bother defending it because any attempt to reason it away or explain gender roles will be assumed trolling and dealt with accordingly. If this thread goes any further you should just keep quiet about and hope people respond or be apologetic. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

You really don’t see the problem here? You’re being sexist saying that nursing is a woman’s job. Don’t bother defending it because any attempt to reason it away or explain gender roles will be assumed trolling and dealt with accordingly. If this thread goes any further you should just keep quiet about and hope people respond or be apologetic. 

I just don't want to be a nurse ok and those negative reactions came before I even posted that. How about more comments on my original post instead of negative reactions. Trolling? Really?

6 hours ago, TheChemist91 said:

I just don't want to be a nurse ok and those negative reactions came before I even posted that. How about more comments on my original post instead of negative reactions. Trolling? Really?

No, those negative reactions didn't come before you even posted that. We can all see there are 7 downvotes on that specific post. To your confusion, there's a difference between having a tangible reason nursing isn't a good fit for you and dismissing all nurses and NPs (your potential future colleagues) as doing women's work. Saying you won't change your mind about that reeks of stubborn stupidity. And you got an extremely helpful response to your original post - it essentially sums up all the advice anyone else would give. If you want more advice, act like you want it and pipe down with the misogyny.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, nichole96 said:

No, those negative reactions didn't come before you even posted that. We can all see there are 7 downvotes on that specific post. To your confusion, there's a difference between having a tangible reason nursing isn't a good fit for you and dismissing all nurses and NPs (your potential future colleagues) as doing women's work. Saying you won't change your mind about that reeks of stubborn stupidity. And you got an extremely helpful response to your original post - it essentially sums up all the advice anyone else would give. If you want more advice, act like you want it and pipe down with the misogyny.

Stupidity? Having an opinion makes you stupid? Misogyny? I love women, how dare you accuse me of that? No, there were negative reactions to my original post. I saw them.

2 minutes ago, TheChemist91 said:

Stupidity? Having an opinion makes you stupid? Misogyny? I love women, how dare you accuse me of that? No, there were negative reactions to my original post. I saw them.

Yes, stating point blank "and I won't change my mind about that" regarding an ignorant opinion makes you sound stupid. Saying you aren't interested in nursing/NP because its women's work is misogynistic. And no, there aren't. Your original post has zero reactions, positive or negative. Your nurse post has 7 negative, because people on this forum have a view of gender roles that goes beyond 1950.  

I thought you were off to seek advice from people in the real world... 

• Upvote 2