Eastern Virginia Medical School 2019-2020 Cycle Applicants

7 hours ago, DOCRAH said:

Who are you telling. Believe we last received emails from EVMS around the end of March. I'm debating holding off doing another CASPA app in this new cycle as I don't want to pay out hundreds if not thousands of dollars for the app fees seeing as how I don't know just yet what EVMS will say. Plus it's still early in the new app cycle. Would be nice if they could let students know before a new app cycle starts though as we could plan better but hey it is what it is. I just hope to hear good news next week so that I can crush this interview and matriculate into a program finally. I'm ready & excited to learn how to practice medicine, change the lives of patients for the better and get on those front lines and help out!!!

I am in the same boat with holding off on submitting my applications for this current cycle. I want to go a head and submit them now but do not want to throw away that much money. Just crossing my fingers and waiting to hopefully get that interview! 

15 hours ago, Amymarie89 said:

Hello, I’am a second time applicant and applied this cycle.

Last 40 credits: 3.87 post bac- 4.0 

pre-reg gpa 3.92, I have one B

5560 peri clinical hours 

2300 Direct patient hours, EMT 

50 volunteer hours 

180 shadowing hours 

5 letters req. 

What’s everyone else’s STATS like? First time? Good luck to everyone. I’m getting excited for next week. Praying for an interview invite. I met with the director of the program last year and took her advice, retook a class and also took med term. I worked on getting more direct patient and volunteer hours. 

I'm a second time applicant as well. I interviewed last year but didn't make the class. It's awesome that you had the opportunity to meet with the director of the program to ask about improving your application! I retook a class and tried to increase my volunteer hours and had a shadowing opportunity lined up until COVID hit. Once I find out if I have an interview I am planning on doing a mock interview with some friends and family to hopefully help get my interview nerves under control. I will say, I know for a fact that my stats were comparable if not better than some of the students that were accepted last year so its not only your stats that get you a seat. You have to do great on your interview to be accepted, I think that is what really makes a difference.

GPA: 3.75, paid pt care: 27,600 (I've been a radiology tech/mammo tech for 15 years), volunteer hours: 147, no official shadowing, 3 LOR.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!

Edited by MegSJ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MegSJ said:

First time applying to EVMS,

Last 40 credits: 3.8, Post-bach: 4.0, Pre-reg: 3.7 (Ochem!!!)

About 3000 hours patient care: MA and Phlebotomist (currently working and certified in doing both)

Shadow: 120 hours

4 LORs

Volunteer hours 70 and counting, signed up for 24 hours in June. 

We should be hearing something next week!!! Good luck everyone 😄

• Like 2

EVMS was the first program I’ve ever applied to and I do plan on applying to more programs in the current  2020-2021 cycle incase I’m not accepted to EVMS. 
Last 40 Replacement GPA: 3.60

cGPA: 3.22

pre-rec GPA: 3.54

PCE: 2200 hrs as an Advanced EMT and 900 hrs as a hemodialysis technician.

Volunteer: 2000 of my EMT hours were volunteer. I’ve also been a medical volunteer at a marathon (16hrs) and my states Special Olympics (12 hrs). 

Shadowing: 20 hrs with a PA, 6 hrs with a FNP, and 12 hrs with a MD. 

3 LORs

I’m definitely preparing myself for the possibility that I won’t get accepted this cycle. I’ve been considering applying to EVMS’s MS in contemporary human anatomy program if that’s the case, but not sure if I should retake Gen Chem I (C+) and Organic Chemistry I (B-) instead. I did fulfill the Gen Chem prerequisite requirement to apply through my Gen Chem II course. 

Edited by alexEMTprePA
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, alexEMTprePA said:

EVMS was the first program I’ve ever applied to and I do plan on applying to more programs in the current  2020-2021 cycle incase I’m not accepted to EVMS. 
Last 40 Replacement GPA: 3.60

cGPA: 3.22

sGPA: 3.10

pre-rec GPA: 3.54

PCE: 2200 hrs as an Advanced EMT and 900 hrs as a hemodialysis technician.

Volunteer: 2000 of my EMT hours were volunteer. I’ve also been a medical volunteer at a marathon (16hrs) and my states Special Olympics (12 hrs). 

Shadowing: 20 hrs with a PA, 6 hrs with a FNP, and 12 hrs with a MD. 

3 LORs

I’m definitely preparing myself for the possibility that I won’t get accepted this cycle. I’ve been considering applying to EVMS’s MS in contemporary human anatomy program if that’s the case, but not sure if I should retake Gen Chem I (C+) and Organic Chemistry I (B-) instead. 

Hi there! 

EVMS does not accept any prerequisite that is less than a B- so I’d start with Gen Chem I and then if you can swing it also retake O Chem because it’s right on the cutoff. 

EVMS does not look at science GPAs though. Either replacement or overall and prerequisite! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kval1 said:

Does anyone know specifically what time they send out interview offers?

I’ve heard from past years it’s around 4pm, but that hasn’t stopped me from refreshing this page and checking my email every two seconds. 

Edited by alexEMTprePA
  • Like 10

I guess if interview decision notifications were to have been delayed because of COVID-19 they would have informed us wouldn't they??

They sent this email March 21st & it made a COVID-19 REFERENCE. 

Thank you for submitting your application to the Master of Physician Assistant Program at Eastern Virginia Medical School!  We wanted to take this opportunity to update you on where we are in our admissions process and timelines.

Initial Application Review (March - April)

• The admissions office is actively processing applications and sending you emails to update your CASPA application if you have any pending coursework.
  • Completed applications are forwarded to the Admissions Committee to Review.
  • Results for CASPer test scores taken on February 27 are actively being updated as applications are being reviewed.
  • Please note the 3rd letter of recommendation will be updated as your application is processed.

Admissions Committee Review (Ongoing)

• The Admissions Committee is actively reviewing applications and will not make any decisions until all applications have been processed and reviewed.

Decline Notification (April - June)

• Decline notifications will start going out in April for those not meeting  admissions requirements, 

Interview Notification (first week of June)

• Interview notifications will go out via email in the first week of June.

Interviews (mid-July)

• Interviews will be held in mid-July for those who receive invitations.  Due to COVID 19, the program will send additional information on what format the interviews will take place in June.

Admissions Offers (end of July)

• Admissions Offers will go out via email at the end of July. 

Thank you for your patience as we process applications.  If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us.  We look forward to working with you

Sincerely,

The Admissions & Enrollment Team

• Like 1