Eastern Virginia Medical School 2019-2020 Cycle Applicants

To all who know a lot about the EVMS application process- how much is the interview weighted? For example, are all interviewees on "equal turf" or does the wave in which you received an interview invite count as well? I am a first time applicant and received a first wave invite. Reading through past posts, it seems there are a few people who were in the first wave who did not receive a seat offer.

10 minutes ago, ammpa said:

To all who know a lot about the EVMS application process- how much is the interview weighted? For example, are all interviewees on "equal turf" or does the wave in which you received an interview invite count as well? I am a first time applicant and received a first wave invite. Reading through past posts, it seems there are a few people who were in the first wave who did not receive a seat offer.

It’s point based. First wave has the most points from what I’ve been told. So I don’t think it’s “equal turf”. I’m also first wave, but I do believe interview is weighted pretty heavily! It’s a make it or break it day. 

23 minutes ago, ammpa said:

EVMS covers a lot of ground pre-interview between the Casper and supplemental essays. The interview might actually be weighed a little less here compared to elsewhere (and I'm interested to see what they ask; I felt like I was asked a bunch of Casper questions in my other interview earlier this cycle).

But like virtually everyone who's been accepted will probably tell you, try not to think about it and just be yourself. Getting an interview at all is huge considering how competitive the process is!

1 hour ago, ammpa said:

We asked about this in the meet and greet last night. We were told there was no rhyme or reason to how the invites went out (in regards to first wave having highest points and last wave having lower points). They said that we already have a score for our application and after the interview we will have an interview score. The 2 scores will be added together to determine who will receive an invite. I will say they mentioned last night, they are not on the admissions committee but that was the insight they as current students could provide.

3 minutes ago, mxray said:

We asked about this in the meet and greet last night. We were told there was no rhyme or reason to how the invites went out (in regards to first wave having highest points and last wave having lower points). They said that we already have a score for our application and after the interview we will have an interview score. The 2 scores will be added together to determine who will receive an invite. I will say they mentioned last night, they are not on the admissions committee but that was the insight they as current students could provide.

I have been told the exact opposite - from current students. It’s point based. If there was no rhyme or reason, why have waves? Logically, waves mean it’s point-based. Without waves or a system, they could send them all out at once. That’s just what I’ve been told and my thought process 

53 minutes ago, LaurenR19 said:

I have been told the exact opposite - from current students. It’s point based. If there was no rhyme or reason, why have waves? Logically, waves mean it’s point-based. Without waves or a system, they could send them all out at once. That’s just what I’ve been told and my thought process 

I understand what you're saying, just sharing what we were told by current students last night. In all honesty, none of us know, all we have to go off of is "rumors" essentially because unless the admissions committee tells us we won't know what's true vs whats false. All we can do now is focus on putting our best foot forward and showing them who we are!

Edited by mxray

2 minutes ago, mxray said:

I understand what you're saying, just sharing what we were told by current students last night. In all honesty, none of know, all we have to go off of is "rumors" essentially because unless the admissions committee tells us we won't know what's true vs whats false. All we can do now is focus on putting our best foot forward and showing them who we are!

Oh absolutely! We got an interview. That’s all that matters. It’s now time for us to show them WHO we ARE beyond the paper! 

22 minutes ago, LaurenR19 said:

Oh absolutely! We got an interview. That’s all that matters. It’s now time for us to show them WHO we ARE beyond the paper! 

Thanks everyone for the responses! I agree an interview is a huge honor! I wish I didn’t know about the “waves” but do agree that the waves are sent out on a point based system. 

Getting excited but very anxious as well! 

Was on my PURL looking at interview information. Under application checklist it used to say 100% completed. Now it’s says 36% complete, saying that the prerequisites not complete but casper, letter of recommendations, CAPSA completed. This makes me slightly worried. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m assuming I’m okay since I have registered for an interview and have been getting emails (got a remainder email today regarding the interview this week), but should I email admissions committee to make sure?

Thanks in advance!! Good luck to everyone interviewing and can’t wait to meet everyone virtually on the actual interview day!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, crk18 said:

Was on my PURL looking at interview information. Under application checklist it used to say 100% completed. Now it’s says 36% complete, saying that the prerequisites not complete but casper, letter of recommendations, CAPSA completed. This makes me slightly worried. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m assuming I’m okay since I have registered for an interview and have been getting emails (got a remainder email today regarding the interview this week), but should I email admissions committee to make sure?

Thanks in advance!! Good luck to everyone interviewing and can’t wait to meet everyone virtually on the actual interview day!

I just checked mine. I have the same issue. It’s probably a glitch in the system. No point in reaching out to them. You wouldn’t have gotten an interview if you didn’t have all of your requirements met. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FuturePA9987 said:

I just checked mine. I have the same issue. It’s probably a glitch in the system. No point in reaching out to them. You wouldn’t have gotten an interview if you didn’t have all of your requirements met. 

Same here, its been at 100% the whole time and I received an email reminder for the interview this week. I'm not too worried about it.

Edited by mxray
  • Like 3

It was so great getting to know some of you during the virtual meet & greets! Such interesting and impressive backgrounds all around. I found it super helpful and encouraging to talk with you all and the current PA students before interviews. Good luck to everyone this weekend! We have all worked so hard for this 🙂 

- Lexi K

• Like 2

Wishing all the interviewees the best of luck!! It takes so much hardworking and determination to even get to the point of applying. Just be yourself, have concise answers so you can make the most out of your time, and smile! As far as invitation waves, the consensus of those participating in the meet and greet was that none of us know for sure so we don't want to speculate although I have heard the same information previously to applying as well. So we aren't denying or agreeing because we simply don't have concrete evidence either way. Hope that clears it up. Regardless, you guys should be super proud of your accomplishments to get to the interview. Now it's all about determining if you are a good fit for EVMS and if EVMS is a good fit for you. Congratulations! 

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, SamanthaKobe said:

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow!! You got this 

Thank you! 

Good luck to everyone interviewing the next 3 days! I know multiple people have said it on here, but just remember to be yourself. They've seen our application now they want to see the person behind the application to ensure that we're right for their program and the program is right for us. Give it your all and be yourself that way at the end of the interview you know you gave it your all! We got this!! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mxray said:

Thank you! 

Good luck to everyone interviewing the next 3 days! I know multiple people have said it on here, but just remember to be yourself. They've seen our application now they want to see the person behind the application to ensure that we're right for their program and the program is right for us. Give it your all and be yourself that way at the end of the interview you know you gave it your all! We got this!! 

You’re absolutely right. I’ve interviewed with them before and it was actually a nice experience. Everyone I met was super nice and it made the interview process less stressful. 🙂 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mattmcg88 said:

Hey everyone! Class of 2022 member here. Good luck on your interviews everyone! Just remember to breathe and as cliche as it sounds be yourselves! Getting this far is a huge achievement and you should be proud. Enjoy the moment! 

Matt

Thank you so very much, Matt! 

Very excited for tomorrow, 

Lauren