Eastern Virginia Medical School 2019-2020 Cycle Applicants

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, roxrox10 said:

No, I haven't heard anything either.

9 hours ago, paXproper said:

Has anyone heard from EVMS yet besides the application confirmation? 

After you get your confirmation that your application is complete you won't hear anything most likely until June when they make interview invites. 

Edited by MegSJ

• 2 months later...
On 11/26/2019 at 4:55 PM, Holly1483 said:

Hi everyone,

It says that you need to have a B- or above in all prerequisites. However, you can substitute Biochemistry over Organic Chemistry. I have a C in Organic chemistry, but an A in Biochemistry. Do you all think that would be okay since you can substitute? 

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Lauren

Use the A class as your prerequisite fulfillment. It doesn’t matter if you have a C in a different class. Be prepared to discuss it if they bring it up during the interview.
I also have a C in OChem, I have been accepted to several schools this cycle. Trust me, don’t sweat it!

Good luck to you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone, I just wanted to put out a helpful tip. If you haven't completed your CASPA application by now try to do it soon. They can take a couple of weeks to review and complete your application. Last year I submitted early and had it sent back to me for edits. If I hadn't submitted early I wouldn't have made the deadline. Hope this helps someone!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, medic1210 said:

Last cycle, I applied as a non-traditional student. Qualifying GPA was 3.59 cumulative and 3.75(ish) prerequisite GPA. That was based on last 40 hours. My CASPA GPAs were both sub-2.5. Terrible, right? But EVMS rewards reinvention, I will give them that. I also had 15 years/30k + hours as a medic in various settings. Volunteer work, strong LOR, and research. And I got jack squat for all of it. Not even an interview. I was a bit more than angry, still am. I felt like my experience counted for nothing. I swore I would not do this again and would move another direction. But I was hurt and angry, reasonably so. Still, I loved the program and am giving it another go. So here is what I have done differently.

1. Completed a Masters in Medical Science (Biochemistry, Cell Bio, Anatomy w/ cadaver lab, Micro/Virology, Neuroanatomy, etc) with a 3.67 GPA

2. Last 40 GPA = 3.9 and Prerequisite GPA = 3.9

3. More volunteer work with my dog, using him as a therapy dog visiting the children's hospital and hospices.

I think I will certainly earn an interview this upcoming cycle.

DXU

Its definitely an emotional process! Good luck this time! My dog and I just got certified with Therapy Dog International so we can do therapy dog volunteering also. He is a Siberian Husky. I applied to be a team through Sentara but they are full so we applied with the USO and hopefully we can start doing some therapy dog work soon. He is the best dog ever. I know he could really bring some comfort to people so I hope we can get things moving with the USO. What kind of dog do you have?

11 minutes ago, MegSJ said:

Its definitely an emotional process! Good luck this time! My dog and I just got certified with Therapy Dog International so we can do therapy dog volunteering also. He is a Siberian Husky. I applied to be a team through Sentara but they are full so we applied with the USO and hopefully we can start doing some therapy dog work soon. He is the best dog ever. I know he could really bring some comfort to people so I hope we can get things moving with the USO. What kind of dog do you have?

He is an Aussiedoodle, an Australian Shepard/poodle mix. Sweet guy, very friendly. Usually pretty mellow but stubborn. Training was fun for him. And it is an emotional process.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:35 AM, futurePA6234 said:

How long did it take to receive the conformation email from EVMS? I have completed and submitted everything but have not gotten a confirmation email yet. 

When I applied last year I didn't receive an email confirmation from them until after I reached out to verify my application was received. I would probably wait 2 weeks or so to see if they send you something and then maybe email admissions to verify your package is complete.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 8:56 PM, LalalauraB said:

Hi everyone! Regarding the two mini essay questions on the supplemental portion on CASPA; should we write two different essays? The two questions are very similar! 

"What made you decide to select EVMS?" and "Why do you want to attend EVMS? (100 words or less)"

I don't have an answer for you, but I've been wondering the exact same thing! My best guess is that the 100 words or less one should go into more detail and the other one should be summed up in 2 sentences. Hopefully someone else has a better answer. 

Edited by aa1041557
  • Like 1

Did anyone received an email with a personal url link that shows your application checklist and information about EVMS?

I was looking at my checklist and saw that they are waiting for 1 more letter of recommendation for my application to be 100% complete. However, on my CASPA I had 3 different people submit a letter and they were all received before I submitted my application to EVMS. Is this any issue for anyone else? 

1 hour ago, mtglynn97 said:

Did anyone received an email with a personal url link that shows your application checklist and information about EVMS?

I was looking at my checklist and saw that they are waiting for 1 more letter of recommendation for my application to be 100% complete. However, on my CASPA I had 3 different people submit a letter and they were all received before I submitted my application to EVMS. Is this any issue for anyone else? 

I received the same email tonight and am also missing the third LOR that was submitted with CASPA. I am going to submitt a question via the URL tomorrow to ask about it. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mtglynn97 said:

Glad my account is not the only one showing that! I reached out to them last night as well asking about the issue. 

How did you reach out? I sent a question via the url home page but I was tempted to try to send an email to the admissions department. I wasn't sure which would be the better route to take.

4 hours ago, MegSJ said:

How did you reach out? I sent a question via the url home page but I was tempted to try to send an email to the admissions department. I wasn't sure which would be the better route to take.

I emailed admissions and did the url home page thing. I have not heard back from either yet though. 

Does anyone know if they are sending out e-mails stating your application has  been received or only posting it on our personalized URL? My personalized URL states that they have received my application for the program but I'm a little uneasy about that being the only confirmation. I didn't have a great experience last application period so I just want to be sure. Can anyone confirm?

9 minutes ago, PROSPECTIVEPA22 said:

Does anyone know if they are sending out e-mails stating your application has  been received or only posting it on our personalized URL? My personalized URL states that they have received my application for the program but I'm a little uneasy about that being the only confirmation. I didn't have a great experience last application period so I just want to be sure. Can anyone confirm?

I recieved this email in October:

This is a follow-up email letting you know that you have met all application file requirements and are eligible for review by the Application Review Committee.  This review process will extend until after the cycle closes and all applicants will receive a decision by June 2020.   ” 

The email includes a checklist of everything I needed (LORs, Casper, prereqs) with “yes” next to them.

I don’t know what this url thing is...