2019-2020 Application Cycle

Guest thePAway

1 hour ago, EashleighPAtobe said:

I will probably email later this evening. Did you email yesterday?

I also submitted 5/20 with confirmation 5/30 and haven’t heard anything so I was gonna update my CASPA PCE/shadowing hours and just email them updates with the added question of could they tell me anything about the status of my app!

On 7/19/2019 at 5:23 PM, AndrewPowell said:

BTW I just emailed them with my updated course information because I just completed a summer course 

Hi everyone,

My 4 weeks of extended waiting was last week, so I called them on Friday and have not received a call back yet. Either today or tomorrow I'm going to call again to follow up on my application. I hope that settles some fears of not hearing back yet!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AndrewPowell said:

Do you mind sharing your stats?

major: bio and psyc double

cGPA: 3.3

sGPA: 3.0

GRE 321

OBGYN MA: 4000 hrs

Vascular Med Tech: 2000 hrs

Also did an behavioral therapy internship, traveled to Ecuador on a medical mission trip, and have a lot of research hours in different labs.

Last year I was still in the process of taking Micro when I applied, which probably made a huge difference. Also revamped my PS. My stats aren't great, but I was always working/doing research in school, or working FT and taking night classes with an upward trend so maybe they liked that?

4 hours ago, TessD said:

Can anyone give insight into the interview format? One-on-one, MMI, etc.

Also what are some of the draws and positive aspects of this program that make students want to attend?

I interviewed on June 21st and was placed on the alternate list. There was both a one-on-one interview with a faculty member and MMI stations (I think around 12?). The whole day was very organized with a specific schedule and all of the staff members were super friendly, engaging, and kind -- it's clear they really just want to get to know you and if you'd be a good fit.

In response to your second question, I originally applied to Rush because I know a student there and she had nothing but good things to say about them (small class size, longer program with several clinical rotation options, and dedication to community service). Everyone was so friendly and helpful during interview day (you meet with faculty and current students) that it really emphasized the close-knit, positive community vibe they have there, which also appealed to me. 

Hope that helps!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TessD said:

Can anyone give insight into the interview format? One-on-one, MMI, etc.

Also what are some of the draws and positive aspects of this program that make students want to attend?

I interviewed 6/21 and was accepted - I will be attending, based entirely on my interview day! The interview day was hands down the best interview day I’ve ever had - very organized, very efficient, and completely relaxed. The MMI was not something you can prepare for, other than being in touch with yourself and your experiences. They just want to see how you think and how you respond to situations. I found it really fun, engaging and interesting. 

I fell in love with this program from the interview day. The program director was so deeply passionate about the program and was so sincere, her enthusiasm was infectious. You could tell how much she actually cared about all of the students, which is fairly unique given the scope of the program director’s role. Every single student and faculty member that I met that day was so humble, kind, and genuine. There wasn’t a single hint of a competitive nature on the campus, which I loved. It was a collaborative atmosphere comprised of people that seemed to really care about supporting each other. This was really important to me, as I went to Northwestern, which had the exact opposite culture. The facility was very nice, convenient, and easy to navigate. Lots of little perks to make life a little easier on students. Tons of resources on campus. So much opportunity for advanced clinical access - the director mentioned you can sit in on grand rounds any time you would like and there’s tons of opportunities like that. Cadaver labs aren’t available at all schools so this was also important to me. This list got lengthy so I’m sorry but important to share because I had no idea how badly I wanted to go to Rush until I went to that interview, and it changed everything for me! 

Good luck to everyone and see whoever ends up here in May!! 😊

Edited by sml910
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, sml910 said:

I interviewed 6/21 and was accepted - I will be attending, based entirely on my interview day! The interview day was hands down the best interview day I’ve ever had - very organized, very efficient, and completely relaxed. The MMI was not something you can prepare for, other than being in touch with yourself and your experiences. They just want to see how you think and how you respond to situations. I found it really fun, engaging and interesting. 

I fell in love with this program from the interview day. The program director was so deeply passionate about the program and was so sincere, her enthusiasm was infectious. You could tell how much she actually cared about all of the students, which is fairly unique given the scope of the program director’s role. Every single student and faculty member that I met that day was so humble, kind, and genuine. There wasn’t a single hint of a competitive nature on the campus, which I loved. It was a collaborative atmosphere comprised of people that seemed to really care about supporting each other. This was really important to me, as I went to Northwestern, which had the exact opposite culture. The facility was very nice, convenient, and easy to navigate. Lots of little perks to make life a little easier on students. Tons of resources on campus. So much opportunity for advanced clinical access - the director mentioned you can sit in on grand rounds any time you would like and there’s tons of opportunities like that. Cadaver labs aren’t available at all schools so this was also important to me. This list got lengthy so I’m sorry but important to share because I had no idea how badly I wanted to go to Rush until I went to that interview, and it changed everything for me! 

Good luck to everyone and see whoever ends up here in May!! 😊

congrats on your acceptance! i can't wait to see the program in september, hopefully i'll have a similar experience 🙂

I know this program is competitive to get into. I have a high GPA (3.9) an average GRE score (304) and just barely hit the minimum 1000 hours of PCE. I'm wondering, since there are only 30 seats in the program and many people have been accepted already, is it worth it for me to apply to this program?

22 minutes ago, JBlack said:

I know this program is competitive to get into. I have a high GPA (3.9) an average GRE score (304) and just barely hit the minimum 1000 hours of PCE. I'm wondering, since there are only 30 seats in the program and many people have been accepted already, is it worth it for me to apply to this program?

competitiveness is a relative term. i have been denied from programs that are deemed "not competitive" and have been offered interviews to several that are regarded as "very competitive." there is still plenty of time left before the application closes. I would go ahead and apply! you never know!

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone, 

I ended up emailing on Friday afternoon to inquire about an update. Yesterday (Monday) morning they wrote back and said to check back in the end of August if I'd not heard further. I then got an invite for the 09/13 interview a few minutes later! I know there was one interview back in June. Have there been any others? 

Did anybody have issues filling out the supplemental application question about anything else you would like to add? I contacted the program because I could not get anything to save and they said just to not put anything in that question because they will not see it anyway. Anybody else hear anything about this?